Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Update: 25 days and a big grin

Wikiposts

Update: 25 days and a big grin

Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update: 25 days and a big grin - BANKS

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
And yet, if you read the job requirements on the vacancies for Nationwide (as I often do whilst perusing jobsites), they "pride themselves on their excellent customer service".

It would seem the branch you've visited does not adhere to such excellence!
Make that two branches plus the phone "help" line. Empty words I fear!
Old May 1st 2013, 12:01 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update: 25 days and a big grin

Great update Happyglow. Glad you are happy to be home and having a wonderful time.
Old May 5th 2013, 1:12 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow

Just a quickie update, it's still early days to give much feedback but not once have I questioned whether I made the right decision to come back, and I hardly think about Canada at all. Weird! Anyway, in a nutshell:

Staying with family has turned out way more fun than I imagined. We're all more relaxed with departure not looming.

It is flipping FREEZING considering it's almost May!

Little dog having the time of his life

After much hunting, bought an absolutely gorgeous old BMW and am enjoying cruising round the twisty roads listening to radio 3 (old gitdom has its merits!)

Parking spaces are tiny

Driving licence was renewed with no questions asked, though it expired quite a while ago. It took ages to come back though! Because of this it's been a long drag opening a bank account without other ID, but just waiting for cards etc now.

Looked at a rental today that would suit us down to the ground - tiny village up on a hill, great neighbours, cute little stone cottage with scope for a veggie garden, and fantastic walks. Will be applying to the agents on monday.

Oh yeah - apparently my boxes of stuff have arrive safely and cleared customs, and will be delivered on tuesday - more on that later but woohoo!

That's all I can think of just now - it's *&^&^#^#($ good to be here!
Oh wow that all sounds fab, I bet the time flies once you are back? How nice must it be not constantly thinking about getting home, making lists and counting down lol!

The car sounds great too and ahhhhhh British radio, enjoy, enjoy - all sounds fab including the cottage for you!
Old May 9th 2013, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Just a quickie update, it's still early days to give much feedback but not once have I questioned whether I made the right decision to come back, and I hardly think about Canada at all. Weird! Anyway, in a nutshell:

Staying with family has turned out way more fun than I imagined. We're all more relaxed with departure not looming.

It is flipping FREEZING considering it's almost May!

Little dog having the time of his life

After much hunting, bought an absolutely gorgeous old BMW and am enjoying cruising round the twisty roads listening to radio 3 (old gitdom has its merits!)

Parking spaces are tiny

Driving licence was renewed with no questions asked, though it expired quite a while ago. It took ages to come back though! Because of this it's been a long drag opening a bank account without other ID, but just waiting for cards etc now.

Looked at a rental today that would suit us down to the ground - tiny village up on a hill, great neighbours, cute little stone cottage with scope for a veggie garden, and fantastic walks. Will be applying to the agents on monday.

Oh yeah - apparently my boxes of stuff have arrive safely and cleared customs, and will be delivered on tuesday - more on that later but woohoo!

That's all I can think of just now - it's *&^&^#^#($ good to be here!
So glad it's all going well happyglow. I'd love to hear more, there's something about your posts that makes me smile! It's in the turn of phrase, love the "old gitdom."
How is Little dog?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by curleytops
I can second this happyglow, Lloyds were fine for me too - I opened mine in Kent so there's feedback from two different parts of the country.
How did you feel after being gone so long from home and returning?
I left in 1966 as well - have regretted it ever since
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Thanks both! Finally got hold of a businesslike, helpful person at Nat West, so at least I have a debit card on the way. I reckon some petty-minded people like to punish us for being a bit different cos they're jealous

So pleased to hear you are happy and well (puppydog, too).
We have a Lloyds International 'Dollar' account for years, as well as a Sterling account.
Has the weather warmed up enough for you now? LOL
Take care!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gailc
So pleased to hear you are happy and well (puppydog, too).
We have a Lloyds International 'Dollar' account for years, as well as a Sterling account.
Has the weather warmed up enough for you now? LOL
Take care!
Thanks Gail! Thunder and lightning today, love it but little pooch does not - he's at the moment.

When are you planning on returning?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Gail! Thunder and lightning today, love it but little pooch does not - he's at the moment.

When are you planning on returning?
Love rainy days - as long as I don't have to go out in them -especially driving
Living in Florida, we get used to thunder and lightening.

Hopefully, we will make it one day, although with all the new regs. don't know if we will. Hope they come up with something to make it a bit easier for people like us - we seem to have been forgotten.
Anyway, I am really pleased to hear you are happy. Nice to hear from you
ps - have a plate of fish and chips and think of me
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

pps - always call those days 'Tea and Fireplace' days, even if they are few and far between (all day rain) here and 90 f and nasty humidity. Have always missed those days.
We were on holiday one year - nothing but drizzley, cool rain almost everyday. My sister stood there and said 'Bl---dy England weather!" I said, at least it isn't over 90 and humid. Would rather have that 'bl--dy' weather anyday LOL
Old Jul 29th 2013, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Love rainy days - as long as I don't have to go out in them -especially driving
Living in Florida, we get used to thunder and lightening.

Hopefully, we will make it one day, although with all the new regs. don't know if we will. Hope they come up with something to make it a bit easier for people like us - we seem to have been forgotten.
Anyway, I am really pleased to hear you are happy. Nice to hear from you
ps - have a plate of fish and chips and think of me
Will keep fingers crossed for you too! Will chips and mushy peas do? There may be a national shortage soon, the way I've been munching through them
Old Jul 29th 2013, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Will keep fingers crossed for you too! Will chips and mushy peas do? There may be a national shortage soon, the way I've been munching through them
No - no mushy peas - hate them
Just cod and chips and maybe a nice slice of crusty bread with butter
There may be a national shortage of cod with our without you one of these days. They had about it on our news not too long ago. Cost has gone up, I know that. I remember walking up the road with them wrapped up in newspaper. That was many moons ago
I wasn't buying them then either!
I almost put a 'pps' after the last post, but thought that was be a bit much.
Sausages - proper English sausages (the old fashioned ones - not spicy).
Fish and chips, proper sausages and the bread - still trying to find decent bread after all this time. I find some and then they either stop making it or else half the time we can't get it, because they sold out, and God forbid they make more!
I could go on - but wont.
Well, HappyGlow - that's my order for now - Thank you
Old Jul 29th 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

No - no mushy peas - hate them
Just cod and chips and maybe a nice slice of crusty bread with butter
There may be a national shortage of cod with our without you one of these days. They had about it on our news not too long ago. Cost has gone up, I know that. I remember walking up the road with them wrapped up in newspaper. That was many moons ago
I wasn't buying them then either!
I almost put a 'pps' after the last post, but thought that was be a bit much.
Sausages - proper English sausages (the old fashioned ones - not spicy).
Fish and chips, proper sausages and the bread - still trying to find decent bread after all this time. I find some and then they either stop making it or else half the time we can't get it, because they sold out, and God forbid they make more!
I could go on - but wont.
Well, HappyGlow - that's my order for now - Thank you

I can solve the bread problem for you - just make it! Easy, and very satisfying giving it a good pummelling. I leave mine to prove overnight so the whole house smells edible by morning.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

How did you feel after being gone so long from home and returning?
I left in 1966 as well - have regretted it ever since
It's funny, I felt like I'd only been gone on some sort of a long holiday and now everything was "back to normal". I felt and still do feel much more relaxed and at peace because I can just be the real me again. I never ever realised the extent of the facade I'd been putting on for all those years and just how emotionally draining it had been until I didn't have to do it anymore. I hardly ever think of Canada any more, only the family I left there. It's just some place I lived for awhile.

Forty seven years is a long time to live with regrets, I know how sad that can be. Do you think you will return here to live?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by curleytops
It's funny, I felt like I'd only been gone on some sort of a long holiday and now everything was "back to normal". I felt and still do feel much more relaxed and at peace because I can just be the real me again. I never ever realised the extent of the facade I'd been putting on for all those years and just how emotionally draining it had been until I didn't have to do it anymore. I hardly ever think of Canada any more, only the family I left there. It's just some place I lived for awhile.
I feel the same way to some extent about Canada - I suppose I was constantly "on my best behaviour", conscious that I was a "guest" there even though I had PR, and feeling I had to be super polite. It was all so superficial. I hardly ever think of it either - there are three friends I miss but that's about it.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same way to some extent about Canada - I suppose I was constantly "on my best behaviour", conscious that I was a "guest" there even though I had PR, and feeling I had to be super polite. It was all so superficial. I hardly ever think of it either - there are three friends I miss but that's about it.
For me there were two and since they both lived about 1000 miles away from me in opposite directions, it's not like we saw a lot of each other anyway. They're both lovely people (ironically they both have the same name and both share a whole list of other things in common although they have never met one another). We may go months and months between letters or emails etc. but we think of one another often and I know there's a bond there that will last the rest of our lives. They are company to look forward to in the future.

PS try to control the fish and chips consumption before you end up like me, waddling all over the place. I've had to quit cold turkey to try and knock some of the weight of and it's no fun

I think you hit the nail on the head about being on best behaviour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.