Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

ukusabird's post moved from USA forum

ukusabird's post moved from USA forum

Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

ukusabird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ukusabird's post moved from USA forum

If that is the case then you would think they would say that to anyone on the Visa Waiver who marries. It is a known fact that you are never to come over on the Visa waiver with the intent to marry for the purpose of staying in the US. That is and was not my intent for my boyfriend. I would remain as we are forever if possible. However , in light of the current circumstances, marriage is a feasible option. If we marry and I file the paperwork and he does not overstay, where is the problem? There is no violation of the VWP policy.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many times can you visit the US?

[QUOTE=Tracym;6855827]It is not legal to enter on the VWP with the intent of being married and applying for AOS.QUOTE]

You arlowed to get married on a VWP the only thing your not meant to do is to file for adjsutment of status that is definetly impossible they could marry here then he goes back and files in the UK, but tbh then its jsut easy to file for Fiance Visa but that would buy them 6 months of time, as you have 6 months from when you applied to get married.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

ukusabird is an unknown quantity at this point

I am wondering if the amount of paperwork and the expense is the same as is the time the time line if we marry first and then he applies for everything or if we skip it and go the fiance route. I heard it is more time consuming and costly to apply for it first as opposed to marrying on vwp then applying after.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukusabird
If that is the case then you would think they would say that to anyone on the Visa Waiver who marries. It is a known fact that you are never to come over on the Visa waiver with the intent to marry for the purpose of staying in the US. That is and was not my intent for my boyfriend. I would remain as we are forever if possible. However , in light of the current circumstances, marriage is a feasible option. If we marry and I file the paperwork and he does not overstay, where is the problem? There is no violation of the VWP policy.
I am wondering if the amount of paperwork and the expense is the same as is the time the time line if we marry first and then he applies for everything or if we skip it and go the fiance route. I heard it is more time consuming and costly to apply for it first as opposed to marrying on vwp then applying after.
You do not understand that you can no longer talk about 'policy' and 'the majority of people'... those no longer apply to YOU because *you two* have been singled out and asked some very specific questions.

You really shouldn't decide this too quickly or with too little information, IMO.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You really shouldn't decide this too quickly or with too little information, IMO.
Exactly.

Using myself as an example, notice that I haven't taken any real steps yet towards emigrating until I have all the appropriate steps laid out and asked the right people? For me personally, it's too important to mess up.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=LivAtl;6856742]
Originally Posted by Tracym
It is not legal to enter on the VWP with the intent of being married and applying for AOS.QUOTE]

You arlowed to get married on a VWP the only thing your not meant to do is to file for adjsutment of status that is definetly impossible they could marry here then he goes back and files in the UK, but tbh then its jsut easy to file for Fiance Visa but that would buy them 6 months of time, as you have 6 months from when you applied to get married.
I'm getting dizzy too.

It's perfectly fine to get married on the VWP and return to the home country.

It is legal to marry on the VWP and adjust status, IF you did not intend this when you entered. (And if they believe you).

It is NOT legal to marry on the VWP and adjust status, if you planned this.

There are advantages to applying as a spouse, rather than coming in as a fiance - the main one being that the immigrant is a permanent resident from day 1, and able to work.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the marriage based visa (CR-1) is superior to the fiance visa (K-1) in many ways - less paperwork, cheaper, alien spouse can work and travel from day one after entering the US.