Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How many times can you visit the US?

How many times can you visit the US?

Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many times can you visit the US?

Just a quick question, really. I've read on these forums that regular visitors have been turned away by US Border Control for visiting too many times without legitimate connections to the US.

My question is, as I intend to visit very frequently in helping me to decide where to attempt to emigrate to, is roughly how many times on average can you visit the US before being turned away purely based on the number of times visited? I get the feeling that it's 'circumstances-based', but I'm also assuming that there must be a limit before they start to challenge your intentions.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:16 am
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many times can you visit the US?

There is no set amount of times you can visit the US, but you have to prive to imigration on entry that you intend to leave the country and you will not work.

If you can easily show both then there will be no issue, I know a guy who entred teh us left for bermuda and came back again for about 2 years then found a american to marry.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet! I know that they can be tight. I can prove that I'm not going to work when I visit, including addresses of family or hotels that I will be staying at.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Sweet! I know that they can be tight. I can prove that I'm not going to work when I visit, including addresses of family or hotels that I will be staying at.
Rule of thumb using the VWP, is that you stay outside the US for at least as long as you were in....ie. stay for 90 days in US go back to UK and stay for at least 90 days before trying to return. Do not overstay on the VWP, it will jeapordise visa applications and you could be banned.
I have heard horror stories about people trying to circumvent the "rules" by travelling to either Mexico or Canada and then trying to get back in...be very careful
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:57 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick question, really. I've read on these forums that regular visitors have been turned away by US Border Control for visiting too many times without legitimate connections to the US.

My question is, as I intend to visit very frequently in helping me to decide where to attempt to emigrate to, is roughly how many times on average can you visit the US before being turned away purely based on the number of times visited? I get the feeling that it's 'circumstances-based', but I'm also assuming that there must be a limit before they start to challenge your intentions.

Thanks!
There is no answer to your question.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There is no answer to your question.
Yes there is aslogn as you can prove your intent to leave after the 90 days and you have enough money to support you they dont have a problem.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Hi:

Interesting question. You don't give anywhere enough information. Each admission is case by case. There is no definite answers.

You are far from clear, but you give some indication of possibly using the B-1 rather than the B-2 path to admission. This often allows for more frequent admissions, but often requires more in the way of documentation.

As I say, your question is way too general, lacking in detail -- I wouldn't even begin to venture an answer here.

Good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivAtl
Yes there is aslogn as you can prove your intent to leave after the 90 days and you have enough money to support you they dont have a problem.
If only it were that simple.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tracym
If only it were that simple.
Hmm it is as far as I know im currently on my 3rd visit under the VWP.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you have been lucky so far.

Some others haven't.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Interesting question. You don't give anywhere enough information. Each admission is case by case. There is no definite answers.

You are far from clear, but you give some indication of possibly using the B-1 rather than the B-2 path to admission. This often allows for more frequent admissions, but often requires more in the way of documentation.

As I say, your question is way too general, lacking in detail -- I wouldn't even begin to venture an answer here.

Good luck.
Whilst trying to get to the US permanently I intend to visit an average of twice a year as a visitor - just to familiarise myself with the culture as much as possible, even though I feel very much at home already when I am there!

I'm hoping that with the more holidays that I take there will be less of a feeling of the 'wow factor' of being on holiday in the US and gain a more intimate familiarity with my possible future surroundings.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

So as you've had 3 visits on the VWP without incident, we can happily conclude that no visitor will have a problem with multiple VWP visits?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whilst trying to get to the US permanently I intend to visit an average of twice a year as a visitor - just to familiarise myself with the culture as much as possible, even though I feel very much at home already when I am there!

I'm hoping that with the more holidays that I take there will be less of a feeling of the 'wow factor' of being on holiday in the US and gain a more intimate familiarity with my possible future surroundings.
Many people don't have trouble with twice a year. How long do you intend to stay each time?

And what proof of ties to the UK do you have (own home, job, etc.)?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You can be turned away for any reason, only US citizens have a right to enter. You could never have been to the US before and get turned away. You could have been to the US 5 times in the last year and be fine. It's up to the officer reviewing your case when you enter. Every time you (by that I mean everyone) are able to enter on the VWP you should think that you're lucky because you could quite easily have been turned away.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many people don't have trouble with twice a year. How long do you intend to stay each time?
Two weeks average, only because of the number of paid holidays at work.

And what proof of ties to the UK do you have (own home, job, etc.)?
Passport and UK bank account details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.