Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the UK you came back to the same one you left?

Wikiposts

Is the UK you came back to the same one you left?

Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the UK you came back to the same one you left?

What always puzzles me is, nobody ever asks the question:

'Is (insert new country here) the same now as when you arrived?'

Obviously it can only be answered by people who have been away some considerable time (I'd say 5yrs +). Australia has gone through an awful lot of change in the 21 yrs I was there and not one of the changes were for the better (with the exception of coffee quality). It's more expensive, more traffic, more hassle, more people and the Gov interference in your life has increased alarmingly, and I could name myriad other things. There was a small amount of charm to the place when I arrived but that's long gone now.(the other three countries I've lived I wasn't there long enough to say really).

Why is that we only measure Britain on how much its changed instead of appraising other countries by the same yardstick
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:22 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
Well done for trying to get the thread back on track
That's an exercise in futility around here.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:06 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

*Politeness. Must be an age thing but folks don't seem as polite as they used to be- had doors closed in my face and been walked into on numerous occasions, admittedly mostly by folks of all ages absorbed in their iPod/iPhone.*

Politeness (or lack of it) is an issue everywhere I think. I have had doors slammed in my face here in Nova Scotia from people of all ages. They actually don't look round to see if anyone is following them.
I always look behind me when opening a door and hold it open for people following me. It doesn't take much!

Up until recent years, roads here have been very quiet here and people drive automatics. I find drivers are really unaware of their surroundings which is more dangerous than a fast driver who is aware of everything going on around them IMO. They just kind of pull infront of you and seem to not even see you and not many people use their mirrors. They don't wave a thanks if you let them out and they pull behind you when you are reversing out of a space.

I think society as a whole has gone down the toilet and people definately have less respect for others, no matter where you live.
I think we are the last generation of being brought up with manners and respect, and sadly we are not teaching our children what we know.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:12 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy

Obviously it can only be answered by people who have been away some considerable time (I'd say 5yrs +). Australia has gone through an awful lot of change in the 21 yrs I was there and not one of the changes were for the better (with the exception of coffee quality). It's more expensive, more traffic, more hassle, more people and the Gov interference in your life has increased alarmingly, and I could name myriad other things. There was a small amount of charm to the place when I arrived but that's long gone now.(the other three countries I've lived I wasn't there long enough to say really).

Why is that we only measure Britain on how much its changed instead of appraising other countries by the same yardstick
Because we are all so desperate to leave 'the awful Country that is going to the dogs' and we see our new Country through rose tinted specs.
After our first year here in NS, I started really 'seeing' the place for what it is.
It's not awful or anything but definately things go on here that I thought didn't.
There are no kids drinking on street corners and hanging around outside shops (not where we are anyway) but they do it sneakily in peoples basements and drugs are a real problem here.

I just think we all want a Utopia that doesn't exist, anywhere.
England is not that bad and if I could go back a few years and really look, I'm sure we would have stayed there.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy

I've noticed that where we are has changed tremendously from when we arrived 25 years ago, the people have changed too, they don't seem to be as relaxed and easy going as they used to be, they are stressed and anxious about everything it seems. Sadly I don't see it being anywhere as nice a place as when we got here. Any US citizens moving this way after 25 year in UK wouldn't recognize the place.
Apart from some new shops and a road the village I'm from looks like it did when I was a kid theres not even any more homes built.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:59 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how much the US has changed since I arrived 15 years ago versus how many scales have fallen from my eyes.

The country seems much more right-wing than when I got here, but it's possibly just that I wasn't paying as much attention back then because I was wearing rose-tinted specs.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't know how much the US has changed since I arrived 15 years ago versus how many scales have fallen from my eyes.

The country seems much more right-wing than when I got here, but it's possibly just that I wasn't paying as much attention back then because I was wearing rose-tinted specs.
I've been here 40 years and I think it has become much more vocally right-wing. The last couple of years people seem meaner politically, so I think you are right in your perception about the change, and I don't think it's you. Hopefully this Tucson thing will make some change. I was talking to a US friend yesterday who thought that this would make a huge change, much more than I would have imagined.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:12 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
I've been here 40 years and I think it has become much more vocally right-wing. The last couple of years people seem meaner politically, so I think you are right in your perception about the change, and I don't think it's you. Hopefully this Tucson thing will make some change. I was talking to a US friend yesterday who thought that this would make a huge change, much more than I would have imagined.
I hope your friends are right, they have become "Mean" Dh has given up watching the news altogether he was getting depressed.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Of those, I'd say most apply in the US but the massive difference I see is your first 'good' point. Socio-economic mobility is disappearing in the US. Yes, they say anyone can do anything, land of the free etc., but actually everyone except the rich are falling further and further behind and that is affecting the possibilities their kids have. It's a vicious downward spiral IMO.

I do agree with you about that negativity and can't speak to the academic world, but everything else on your list applies here too IMO. But I know how important it is to be happy at work so that must be a huge driver.

The negativity in the UK is like a cancer. It seems to infect everyone. I say I refuse to let it get to me, but I wonder if I can avoid it? Still, that negativity was just the same when I left 25 years ago - that's not a change.

very true.. as far as the rich getting richer, middle class getting poor.. I once had a lovely house, great job.. the works here in the US.. i left the relationship along with my house and moved into a nice apartment.. eventually i left the job and moved to a different part of Florida.. with my vast experience and resume, I could not find anything close.. and all of a sudden I went from someone having the good life (in a monetary way) to having to struggle to pay rent..(i left the prior job because the stress made me very sick and i needed to leave orlando) but it seems there are no jobs out there anymore and no one wants to pay you what you are worth. Its awful..
The education system in the US is terrible i noticed that when i was younger and moved here and was being taught things I had learned 2 years prior back in England.. i always stayed interested in school in England.. I feel that they herd you in and out of class rooms like sheep here, and it bores the mind...
They do hire quickly though I agree with that.. and my sister also said when she moved back to the UK 2 years ago, getting a call back was like pulling teeth..
I prefer the English sense of humor as not to be rude but some people in the U.S are "not too bright".. I am hoping i haven't become too soft in my time here also... As I am pretty sarcastic, but us Brits can stick it to each other pretty well....

As for the moaning though it seems to be the english way.. people try to be miserable.... I dont have that frame of mind though, and luckily most of mates at home dont either... will do my best to stay away from the constant gloomers...

Just my 2 pence (:
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I've noticed that where we are has changed tremendously from when we arrived 25 years ago, the people have changed too, they don't seem to be as relaxed and easy going as they used to be, they are stressed and anxious about everything it seems. Sadly I don't see it being anywhere as nice a place as when we got here. Any US citizens moving this way after 25 year in UK wouldn't recognize the place.
Apart from some new shops and a road the village I'm from looks like it did when I was a kid theres not even any more homes built.
so true, when i moved to south florida at the age of 12..i hated it because i missed home for 2 years, but it truly was amazing... the beaches were better, people were more chilled, there was money to be made, you could afford to live....it was a fun calm, great place to be,but over 20 years florida has gone down the pan for the regular folk and unless you are loaded with cash , you are scraping by... everything "middle clash" has been torn down to build mansions.. or sections 8 apartments.. its hard for the regular working class and once you get over missing the beach, its easier to leave Florida now.. 10 years ago my motto was "I will never live anywhere you cant grow a palm tree"... dont care anymore.... Florida will always have a place in my heart ... but any friends that are still there.. unless they already have money in their family... they are scraping by.... or have just become old drunks and addicts.. its sad....the ones that moved to colorado and other places however are doing much better.... if you have money the states is great.. its all about the bigger house, car, fake boobs.. and so forth.. if you have no money it can be very depressing as everyone wants to "keep up with the joneses".....
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:32 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
10 years ago my motto was "I will never live anywhere you cant grow a palm tree"
You can have it all! Palm trees grow in England, and not just on the English Riviera in Devon. Not the big ones that grow in Florida, but palm trees all the same.

Bev
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bevm
You can have it all! Palm trees grow in England, and not just on the English Riviera in Devon. Not the big ones that grow in Florida, but palm trees all the same.

Bev
How are you enjoying being back in the UK now that winter is almost over (at least I think it is)?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:09 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
How are you enjoying being back in the UK now that winter is almost over (at least I think it is)?
It's absolutely chucking it down at the moment! And an hour ago we had a sea mist so dense I could hardly see the house across the road. But that's better now, and you have to expect some weather in February, don't you?

It's mild, which is great by me, and we've had a few warm days. I was out in a T-shirt on Saturday, weeding the garden. Primulas and crocusses up, and daffodils about to open. That tells me it's spring, never mind the date.

We're enjoying it. But now we've bought a house that needs some fixing up, we're trying to get to grips with what's available here. To us, it seem bizarre how difficult it is to get simple, functional stuff. Everyone's gone style crazy.

Like taps that are easy to turn on and off, and which show clearly which is hot, which is cold. Also, the spray part of a kitchen tap seems very rare. Can't figure that out. They're great.

Like simple light fixtures that give good, clear light with a few bulbs. I'm having huge fluorescent tubes in the kitchen, with full-spectrum light tubes. The builder asked didn't I want the halogen spot lights. I gave him the cross-fingered hex sign.

We also don't want tiles. Everyone seems to like tiles everywhere. Nasty cold things underfoot. I like to go barefoot.

Oh yes, and we want the showers lined with Formica sheets not tiles. That's a great, great thing. Trust me on that. We had them in Canada. No grout to catch scum and mildew, just a smooth surface to clean. And it comes in great colours, some like marble. It is available in the UK.

So it's going to be a challenge getting what we want, and I'm uncomfortably reminded of the sort of people, Americans in particular, who'd arrive in England and want everything in American style.

But actually, we want things simpler and smaller, not fancier and bigger.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world,

Bev
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bevm
It's absolutely chucking it down at the moment! And an hour ago we had a sea mist so dense I could hardly see the house across the road. But that's better now, and you have to expect some weather in February, don't you?

It's mild, which is great by me, and we've had a few warm days. I was out in a T-shirt on Saturday, weeding the garden. Primulas and crocusses up, and daffodils about to open. That tells me it's spring, never mind the date.

We're enjoying it. But now we've bought a house that needs some fixing up, we're trying to get to grips with what's available here. To us, it seem bizarre how difficult it is to get simple, functional stuff. Everyone's gone style crazy.

Like taps that are easy to turn on and off, and which show clearly which is hot, which is cold. Also, the spray part of a kitchen tap seems very rare. Can't figure that out. They're great.

Like simple light fixtures that give good, clear light with a few bulbs. I'm having huge fluorescent tubes in the kitchen, with full-spectrum light tubes. The builder asked didn't I want the halogen spot lights. I gave him the cross-fingered hex sign.

We also don't want tiles. Everyone seems to like tiles everywhere. Nasty cold things underfoot. I like to go barefoot.

Oh yes, and we want the showers lined with Formica sheets not tiles. That's a great, great thing. Trust me on that. We had them in Canada. No grout to catch scum and mildew, just a smooth surface to clean. And it comes in great colours, some like marble. It is available in the UK.

So it's going to be a challenge getting what we want, and I'm uncomfortably reminded of the sort of people, Americans in particular, who'd arrive in England and want everything in American style.

But actually, we want things simpler and smaller, not fancier and bigger.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world,

Bev
Thanks for the great update, especially on the flowers coming up, lovely. I agree with you about smaller and simpler, except I do love tiles especially in the bathroom. I'm really not keen at all on carpets, maybe because I hate hoovering!

We are busy on Rightmove, making lists of houses we can afford. We're up to 40 so far, in Brixham, Dawlish, Looe and Plymouth. Of course, we can't do anything at all until our property in Canada sells, so its all prep at the moment (some people call it daydreaming, but we call it planning!)

Funny, after 30 years of snow, I really don't mind a bit of rain now and then and I honestly never thought I would say that!