Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the UK you came back to the same one you left?

Wikiposts

Is the UK you came back to the same one you left?

Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:07 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the UK you came back to the same one you left?

Originally Posted by Bevm
Perhaps it's a matter of where in the UK we live? Some areas are bound to be more stressful, and that's when people get rude.
The book thing is because they changed a law -- or something. It used to be that new books had to be sold at cover price in the UK. Now they can be discounted and it's generally driven down actual prices.

Bev
I lived in the Lake District for 6 months and I found the people there to be polite, warm and friendly. I also lived in Somerset for 4 months and I found it just as nice there too.

I think you would find the population to be just as unfriendly and rude in Sydney as you would in London. Try getting on or off the train at Hurstville (Sydney) railway station, I have never seen so many rude, pushy, aggressive people in my life.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 11th 2011 at 7:10 am.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
After having read through a lot of the different Countries forums here on the site I'd say at least 5 of your bad points seem to be global - not to say they aren't happening in Britain as well :-( .
Yes, but the point of clarificatioon I made before making my list was that (in my opinion) these changes have been greater in the UK over the 25 years, compared to the rate of these changes in other countries.

For example, the UK has gone from 10% of school-leavers attending university to almost 50% (or over 50% in Scotland) - I don't think many other countries have changed that rapidly. Now they are reaping the whirlwind - the only way to sustain this level is to ramp up fees, and all it buys for a lot of people is a license into the sort of job that 25 years ago, required only GCSEs or A-levels.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, but the point of clarificatioon I made before making my list was that (in my opinion) these changes have been greater in the UK over the 25 years, compared to the rate of these changes in other countries.

For example, the UK has gone from 10% of school-leavers attending university to almost 50% (or over 50% in Scotland) - I don't think many other countries have changed that rapidly. Now they are reaping the whirlwind - the only way to sustain this level is to ramp up fees, and all it buys for a lot of people is a license into the sort of job that 25 years ago, required only GCSEs or A-levels.
I must say that I was quite amazed that my niece studied drama at University and is now a drama teacher, didn't this used to be a college type education, in fact didn't there used to be teacher training colleges?

When I was at school in ye olden days, the only people who were even encouraged to apply to university where the absolute cream of the crop, the real brainiac types..........
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Are they well-educated when they get out with degrees or are they just meaningless piece of paper? Do they carry weight outside of UK. I thought I read that you said that the students can often get credit for classes that they don't pass.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Are they well-educated when they get out with degrees or are they just meaningless piece of paper? Do they carry weight outside of UK. I thought I read that you said that the students can often get credit for classes that they don't pass.
In my opinion, the standard of GCSEs, A-levels and degrees is lower than it used to be.

The assessment workload for one "module" in the UK is about one third of what it is in the US and yes, students can fail a whole "module" (class) but be allowed to carry it (is recorded as a Pass) if they have passed enough other classes at certain grades.

The other thing I don't like about UK higher education is the lack of what is called "academic freedom" in the States. I guess it is analagous to the national curriculum in schools - there is very little leeway for individual interpretation of what to teach and how to teach it, and academics are dictated to by administrative staff (i.e., people with no training in teaching, only in management, procedure, etc.).

Perhaps the biggest disappointment since I returned is the change I have seen in myself as a result of working in this system - I am much less enthusisatic about my job and have become the epitome of the whinging Pom. I work on changing it every day, but it's like the Chinese water torture - drip, drip, drip ... bureaucracy and dogma wear away at your sense of innovation and enthusiasm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

1) Lack of job opportunities (and more competition because of the economy - loads of fresh PhDs from last year and the year before still looking for positions).
2) I'm getting to "that age" where institutions prefer to hire a younger, cheaper option. The age thing is/was less of an issue in higher education, but these days, the economy is driving everything and a fresh PhD graduate causes a smaller bump in the salary budget, even if he/she will take 5-10 years to get into shape.
3) I'm getting a little tired of trying - I balance the question of whether I can work another 12-15 years in UK higher education and retain my sanity with the opposing question of do I have the energy for another fresh start in the States ... and then I either talk to a US colleague or go over there for a conference and am reminded of the vast difference in mindset and my compatibility with the way my profession is run over there - i.e., they let you do your frickin' job, instead of creating hours of mindless emails and other busy-work.

... because of my doubts about settling into another fresh start, I have been restricting my applications to areas of the US I am familiar with (i.e., southeast, east coast), which also reduces my chances.

I actually interviewed for a position last year and came second. From inside information it was a stitch-up job - I know that sounds like sour grapes, but I also know the facts and it's true. Because I know I was the strongest candidate by far, it knocked my confidence a fair bit.

I may just back off for a year and try again. You can spend too much mental energy on wanting to be somewhere else, and you end up wishing your life away.
That must be beyond frustrating .

Thank you for explaining .I am not at all familiar with your profession but I understand the differences in how jobs work/ethics UK/US .

One thing that shocked me here in the US was how quickly (if they like you ) they hire you !!!!

No endless interview after interview ,role playing etc ....

I hear in your post that you feel unsettled ,that is a tough one .

You are right, I would back off for a while also ...a break from deciding might just attract the right choice when you least expect it
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

In my opinion, the standard of GCSEs, A-levels and degrees is lower than it used to be.

The assessment workload for one "module" in the UK is about one third of what it is in the US and yes, students can fail a whole "module" (class) but be allowed to carry it (is recorded as a Pass) if they have passed enough other classes at certain grades.

The other thing I don't like about UK higher education is the lack of what is called "academic freedom" in the States. I guess it is analagous to the national curriculum in schools - there is very little leeway for individual interpretation of what to teach and how to teach it, and academics are dictated to by administrative staff (i.e., people with no training in teaching, only in management, procedure, etc.).

Perhaps the biggest disappointment since I returned is the change I have seen in myself as a result of working in this system - I am much less enthusisatic about my job and have become the epitome of the whinging Pom. I work on changing it every day, but it's like the Chinese water torture - drip, drip, drip ... bureaucracy and dogma wear away at your sense of innovation and enthusiasm.
Something that shocked me was that my son (11) at the time, was able to complete A-level IT !

Here in the US he is in 6th grade ,he easily understood the GSSE math paper also ???????

However as my son is unfortunately a very lazy student ,we have decided he will achieve better results in the UK .
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:30 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Noticeable changes (good):
Greater socioeconomic mobility (yes, even with 20+ years of conservative and "New labour/neo-conservative" government!)
Just about all the other good changes are the same the world over, such as greater individual wealth, more entertainment offerings, etc. I read on here a lot about better shopping choices, but to be honest, I couldn't give a rat's *ss about shopping or buying "stuff".

Noticeable changes (bad):
Lack of civility - what I call the "Eastenders" effect
The whole world and his wife goes to university - dumbest idea Tony Blair ever came up with, IMO (but also the smartest - he knew exactly what he was doing)
Obsession with consumption, lack of individual responsibility for personal debt, the creation of a nouveau riche/have and have-not dichotomy based purely on the ridiculous housing boom from late 90's, that has left some undeserving people much better off financially, and others either unable to get on the ladder or saddled with huge mortgage debt (i.e., moi).
A voting pattern driven more by a cult of personality than political values and understanding.
A mind-blowing obsession with bureacracy and record-keeping, reporting, accountability reviews, none of which actually improve professional practice.
An education and higher education system that is going to the dogs
A prevailing "can't-do", or obstructive attitude to innovation and independence of thought (coming back from the States, the contrast is huge - I just got off the phone with a colleague in the US, discussing the development of a patentable device, and it is so refreshing to feed off the positivity).
Of those, I'd say most apply in the US but the massive difference I see is your first 'good' point. Socio-economic mobility is disappearing in the US. Yes, they say anyone can do anything, land of the free etc., but actually everyone except the rich are falling further and further behind and that is affecting the possibilities their kids have. It's a vicious downward spiral IMO.

I do agree with you about that negativity and can't speak to the academic world, but everything else on your list applies here too IMO. But I know how important it is to be happy at work so that must be a huge driver.

The negativity in the UK is like a cancer. It seems to infect everyone. I say I refuse to let it get to me, but I wonder if I can avoid it? Still, that negativity was just the same when I left 25 years ago - that's not a change.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:56 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I must say that I was quite amazed that my niece studied drama at University and is now a drama teacher, didn't this used to be a college type education, in fact didn't there used to be teacher training colleges?

When I was at school in ye olden days, the only people who were even encouraged to apply to university where the absolute cream of the crop, the real brainiac types..........
Yes it was I looked at going to teacher training college.
Nursing too has become a university degree, it used to be you went to school at the local hospital in groups of students and had blocks of time in school and on the ward. Now they don't get much ward time in comparison and my friend (who trained with me) says they come in as a fully fledged RN and are flippin clueless, no bedside manner at all. All those bedpans and bed baths made for good basic nursing skills that newer RN's don't get.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
That must be beyond frustrating .

Thank you for explaining .I am not at all familiar with your profession but I understand the differences in how jobs work/ethics UK/US .

One thing that shocked me here in the US was how quickly (if they like you ) they hire you !!!!

No endless interview after interview ,role playing etc ....
I hear in your post that you feel unsettled ,that is a tough one .

You are right, I would back off for a while also ...a break from deciding might just attract the right choice when you least expect it
You don't work where I work. I have worked for a Fortune 500 company for almost 12 years. The interview was horrendous (actually I had 3 interviews for the same position), role playing, the whole enchilada - and I've been told it's much worse now. They took almost 3 months to get back to me!!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:18 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes it was I looked at going to teacher training college.
Nursing too has become a university degree, it used to be you went to school at the local hospital in groups of students and had blocks of time in school and on the ward. Now they don't get much ward time in comparison and my friend (who trained with me) says they come in as a fully fledged RN and are flippin clueless, no bedside manner at all. All those bedpans and bed baths made for good basic nursing skills that newer RN's don't get.
They can get 40% on a multiple-choice test about how to spell words like bedpan, though!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Derrygal
You don't work where I work. I have worked for a Fortune 500 company for almost 12 years. The interview was horrendous (actually I had 3 interviews for the same position), role playing, the whole enchilada - and I've been told it's much worse now. They took almost 3 months to get back to me!!
Seriously ...sorry to hear that .

I had /have always been impressed with hiring speed .

That performance you endured sounds Oscar worthy ...
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:23 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Actually, a US interview in academia is much more rigorous than the UK. At least a day and a half, breakfast, lunch and dinner each day with different staff members, teaching presentation, research presentation, tour of the campus, interview with the Dept Chair, interview with the Dean, interview with the Personnel Committee, interview with the Search Committee, various informal meetings with staff and units you might work with, driven to and from the aairport by a potential colleague who may ask additional probing questions during the one-hour drive ... think that's about it.

In the UK, you and all the other candidates are interviewed same-day, often sat in thes ame waiting room, make maybe a token 15-minute presentation on your research and a 20-30 minute interview with the Interview panel, and at the end of the day someone gets offered the job.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That is a worldwide phenomenon......Most countries in the world have a similar system for nurse training. It is not unique to the UK.

If fact it happened in the US long before the UK
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is a worldwide phenomenon......Most countries in the world have a similar system for nurse training. It is not unique to the UK.

If fact it happened in the US long before the UK
Don't know about the rest of US, but it's not true of California.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.