Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Uk university for non resident Brit

Uk university for non resident Brit

Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk university for non resident Brit

Originally Posted by Sue
As a person with a child at uni in the UK I do understand the frustrations and I feel everyones pain, but where does the government draw the line? Many UK citizens have never been to the UK (eg children born abroad to a British parent) so should they too be entitled to counted as a home student? If so, how does that differentiate them from any other non-european citizen who has never lived or worked anywhere in the UK?

For example, I have met a couple of people whose parents were brought to the US as children, and so when they were born they became British citizens by descent and are entitled to UK passports, however they have never been to the UK ever, and their parents have not been back to the UK for decades. So should those UK citizens be allowed to be counted as home students do you think?
I think that generally, if you are currently a citizen and resident of the UK, you should be "entitled" (to NHS, free education, benefits, etc., etc.). Anything beyond that is a bonus.

As you say, making "exceptions" starts us down a slippery slope. I must say, though, that in the case of higher education, I do feel a bit sorry for children who, after all, didn't have a choice in whether they left the UK in the first place. But they are the rules and it's hardly Draconian. There just isn't enough money to be overly generous and flexible. Or as that twerp Liam Byrne put it, "There's no money left".
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
As you say, making "exceptions" starts us down a slippery slope. I must say, though, that in the case of higher education, I do feel a bit sorry for children who, after all, didn't have a choice in whether they left the UK in the first place. But they are the rules and it's hardly Draconian. There just isn't enough money to be overly generous and flexible. Or as that twerp Liam Byrne put it, "There's no money left".
And typically those children may have the option of going to college in the country where they reside (and may have been born, in fact). Although I'm disdainful of many immigration-related policies in the UK, this one feels about right (with some minor tweaks I've suggested before on BE).
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:56 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
As a person with a child at uni in the UK I do understand the frustrations and I feel everyones pain, but where does the government draw the line? Many UK citizens have never been to the UK (eg children born abroad to a British parent) so should they too be entitled to counted as a home student? If so, how does that differentiate them from any other non-european citizen who has never lived or worked anywhere in the UK?

For example, I have met a couple of people whose parents were brought to the US as children, and so when they were born they became British citizens by descent and are entitled to UK passports, however they have never been to the UK ever, and their parents have not been back to the UK for decades. So should those UK citizens be allowed to be counted as home students do you think?
Yes, but with no access to loans- make them pay the fees upfront at the start of each semester (as Australia does). In fact, with the new fee changes there's even more reason to adopt this approach as student contributions are so much higher.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:14 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Or go to university in Japan? Daughter's been there for twelve years since the age of six.
This may not be such an easy alternative, considering universities in Japan that teach a whole course in English are few and far between. Unless the daughter is VERY good at speaking, reading and writing Japanese, which is a difficult language even for those foreigners who've lived in the country for a long time, there would be little choice. And it could be that those few universities that are able to take her on as an English-speaking student might require her to enroll as an international student for such a course.

ICU and Sophia uni are two that come to mind as possibilities.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

What about Irish Universities and it's pretty inexpensive to study in Holland if you are an EU citizen

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/study_in_the_netherlands.htm

Course fees

European Union (EU) citizens are entitled to attend university in the Netherlands or any EU country (this means the 27 member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway). The same conditions apply to all EU citizens whether a national of the country or not.

The average annual fee for enrolment on a degree programme or course at a Dutch higher education institution is €1,771. Non-EU students face the considerably higher cost of €8,000.
Why limit yourself to the UK when you have access to all of the EU.....also Scotland is cheaper than England.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
.....also Scotland is cheaper than England.
Not if you are from England - they are charged more

Not sure how it works for UK passport holders that are not currently resident anywhere in the UK....
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rebs
That's effectively how it works now - if you look at the fees charged by universities, in many cases the international fees are much of a muchness with the home fees. What is different is the payment options - an international student does not have access to the same student loan structure as a home student.
I'm not complaining, but just as an illustration, we are paying £16,750 per year versus the "home" fee of £9,000 per year.

So over three years the difference will be about £25K. As already said, the real difference is the fact that fees have to be paid up front, with no access to loans.

The plus side from my daughter's perspective is that she will have no loan to pay back!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

We did that for our son in the States and used to show him pictures of the luxury cars we could be buying! ; )
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
I'm not complaining, but just as an illustration, we are paying £16,750 per year versus the "home" fee of £9,000 per year.

So over three years the difference will be about £25K. As already said, the real difference is the fact that fees have to be paid up front, with no access to loans.

The plus side from my daughter's perspective is that she will have no loan to pay back!!!
That is still quite a margin of difference, isn't it...

It does vary from university to university, so the difference would be less in some instances and it is less of a gap than when home fees were capped at £3000 per year.

Yes, that is good for your daughter to not have to pay what is effectively a 'graduate tax' when she starts earning over the threshold
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:20 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs

It does vary from university to university, so the difference would be less in some instances and it is less of a gap than when home fees were capped at £3000 per year.
Indeed, it does differ a lot from uni to uni doesn't it. My son's fees are only £1,000 a year more than the "home" rates.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 7:27 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maninjapan
We have been living in Japan for 12 years and now realise our 18 year old daughter ( British passport holder) cannot enter a UK university as a "British person" , due to a 3 year residency law . If anyone has any advice for us it will be most welcome .(Just btw All my Oz andEuropean colleagues are shocked that this is the way we are treated ).I don't have 20,000 quid lying around to pay for the first year and a loan is only offered to residents I guess
Hi there! I went through the same thing for my post grad degree, and am currently paying the overseas fee rate for the programme.

The short line is: there's not really any financial aid available for international students. There may be some bursaries available through the school, but they're most likely going to be highly competitive. Most banks that I know of don't do special loans or anything for students, and my particular bank wouldn't even give me the student overdraft protection because of that 'overseas' classification.

Now the good news: it's tricky, but it can still be done! You may be able to get a japanese education loan. I don't know how it works, but I was coming from the states, and the government student loan people just happen to work with my uni.

They were able to give me a loan to pay for my studies that goes directly to the uni without me having to worry about it. The downside is of course, the conversion rate. My uni charges 14k in overseas rates, and the dollar is about 1.50 to the pound right now. You can imagine. Still, you have to look at relative value. For me, that's pretty much the same amount I'd have paid per year for a two year progamme in the states.

How important is it for your daughter to study here? If she's really really unhappy with the idea of staying in Japan, then it's probably worth it to send her back and see how much money you can get in student loans from Japan. If she's okay either way, and the conversion rate is really unkind to JPY, then it's probably better for her to stay with you.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tel8
Most banks that I know of don't do special loans or anything for students, and my particular bank wouldn't even give me the student overdraft protection because of that 'overseas' classification.
I don't know if it's of any help to you, but give Santander a try, they gave my son a student account with the overdraft protection and free insurance for his laptop and cell phone. He told them he was British, but had lived abroad for a number of years and was returning to attend university but they didn't ask about his student status at all (eg whether or not he was classed overseas student etc). He did use his grandparents address though initially, and then switched to his student hall address once he got that, and now all his statements etc are sent electronically anyway so he doesn't get snail mail from them at all.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I don't know if it's of any help to you, but give Santander a try, they gave my son a student account with the overdraft protection and free insurance for his laptop and cell phone. He told them he was British, but had lived abroad for a number of years and was returning to attend university but they didn't ask about his student status at all (eg whether or not he was classed overseas student etc). He did use his grandparents address though initially, and then switched to his student hall address once he got that, and now all his statements etc are sent electronically anyway so he doesn't get snail mail from them at all.
Just an FYI - Santander are #1 bank (worst) for customer complaints.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:00 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just an FYI - Santander are #1 bank (worst) for customer complaints.
Maybe, but my son has had great service from them so far ... so he isn't complaining

I just wanted to offer is as an option to Tel8, as they were extremely helpful and accommodating as far as my son was concerned with regard to opening his student account. Compared to the two other banks he tried they were by far the best.

But as with everything, everyone's mileage may vary.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Everything is far from clear, but I had an exchange of emails with Britain's largest University and as far as I could discern - unlike other universities they seem to not have a three year residence rule to apply English rates to students who reside (since only recently) in England. There is a three year rule for Scots resident students and also a three year residence rule when it comes to the (new this year) loans for part time students.

Britain's largest University is, of course, The Open University, and their fees for undergraduate (Baccalaureate) students in England who take on a workload equivalent to full time (degrees in three or four years) is £5,000 per annum for students in England. For Scotland it is less than £1,700 per annum but the three year rule is applied.

Of course it is necessary to relocate to England before applying to the University (rather than the reverse) if one is to benefit from that route. OU may not be quite what you had in mind but it is a great "if all else fails" option.

And it opens the door to working and earning money at the same time as studying - though as others will attest, doing that resulting in having zero leisure time. This would be particularly valuable to anyone who intends work for a polyglot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.