Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Uk university for non resident Brit

Uk university for non resident Brit

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk university for non resident Brit

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'd be very suspicious of their figures, Junior college or Community college isn't the same as a four year University, it is possible to do a couple of years there then transfer to a 4 year Uni, but they are now over subscribed and local students are even having trouble getting the classes they need to transfer or to Graduate with an AA degree (I think that is like a foundation degree) classes are huge and overcrowded and there are wait lists for just about everything. De Anza is East bay and not a cheap place to live rent wise. As is Monterey (expensive rent) Also International students are limited to working on campus part time only, so she'd be limited in what she could earn for extras.

If they are saying 2 years at a community college and then transfer over to a 4 year Uni, you need to compare prices at UK colleges. My son was accepted as an International student for a UK college for a 2 year foundation degree cost £7,000 per year, no book costs only takes two years then one year at a Uni to get the BA at something like £9,000 for the year (this is Wales) So three years total for a BA in USA it's minimum 4 years most are taking 5 and 6 years now due to cutbacks in classes and teachers, and students unable to get needed classes for graduation.

We ran the numbers for our oldest son to go to Uni here in US as a local student and in UK at a Uni as an international student and found four years here and three years there to cost us slightly less in UK, but he wasn't ready to go so far, and went here. Second son wants UK education and has moved over already.
Yes good points. Length of degree (and cost of books here) is important. Those figures of Wolf's don't look right.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolf5370
Yes, it seems to be that most of the one's giving prices are community colleges that peform a split degree - first half of the 4 year degree with them, then a guaranteed transfer (guaranteed to a state uni, not to a particular one, I would suggest). As to how sure am I? I have no evidence either way, so at this juncture not sure at all. However, one uni did state some numbers for Berkeley and UCLA as I reported.

I only know as much as I have told you guys. I thought it was something worth checking into if price was the reason that the States was being overlooked - given the fact that most of us Brit expats will get lumbered with full foreign student fees for a Brit children (without loan schemes in most cases too) backm in old Blighty. My girls are still too young for now, so it was only interest that drove me to picking up the literature and looking at the stalls, and seeing this thread, thought it was opportune and worth mentioning.

I have also heard good things about Scandanavian Uni's too (with courses in English) - but only have word of mouth on that for now.
The trouble is, there are a lot of other state universities which are far less prestigious than UCLA and Berkeley.

On price alone, I think it will still be highly competitive to pay overseas tuition in the UK.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:06 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

They say per year in the ads. The prices were only on a few, and (coincidentally?) they happened to be warmer climate states. Honestly do not know any more than I saw in the free mag.
That makes perfect sense, since you found the free magazine at a booth organized by the American Consulate and some (?) combo of US colleges in a shopping mall in Chiang Mai. The students in Thailand are used to mild winters, and would arguabley prefer them.

Hmm, it shows that some of these smaller American colleges are perhaps actively seeking foreign students, with the help of the US Consulate. A prime example, after all, of a kind of American trade show meant to generate sales of an American product (college) abroad.

The odd thing is that they are trying to use price as a selling point. This seems very strange, since generally US colleges have the reputation as being the most expensive in the world.

Perhaps it's only the big-name private US universities that are so expensive?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:11 pm
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'd be very suspicious of their figures, Junior college or Community college isn't the same as a four year University, it is possible to do a couple of years there then transfer to a 4 year Uni, but they are now over subscribed and local students are even having trouble getting the classes they need to transfer or to Graduate with an AA degree (I think that is like a foundation degree) classes are huge and overcrowded and there are wait lists for just about everything. De Anza is East bay and not a cheap place to live rent wise. As is Monterey (expensive rent) Also International students are limited to working on campus part time only, so she'd be limited in what she could earn for extras.

If they are saying 2 years at a community college and then transfer over to a 4 year Uni, you need to compare prices at UK colleges. My son was accepted as an International student for a UK college for a 2 year foundation degree cost £7,000 per year, no book costs only takes two years then one year at a Uni to get the BA at something like £9,000 for the year (this is Wales) So three years total for a BA in UK. In USA it's minimum 4 years most are taking 5 and 6 years now due to cutbacks in classes and teachers, and students unable to get needed classes for graduation.

We ran the numbers for our oldest son to go to Uni here in US as a local student and in UK at a Uni as an international student and found four years here verses three years there, to cost us slightly less in UK, but he wasn't ready to go so far, and went here. Second son wants UK education and has moved over already.
Ah, that's great info - thanks for that. I had seen a news report a couple of hours ago about 4 year state degrees stretching to 5 or 6 years - but there was little meat on the bone in the report as to why (more about the impact) - so I think that gives credance to what you say in that regard too.

My son's (first marriage) degree was in the UK and was 4 years, so not all UK degrees are 3 years - although he did leave with MSc (direct undergraduate to MSc - Southhampton Uni, Chemistry - finished 2 years ago) - hence the extra year. Of course as a local he was given all the loans (but only campus housing for first year).

Do we still have HE colleges in the UK? I though they were all merged into these super Unis a few years back under Labour along with Polys??? I know my old local colleges were (absorbed in to Kent Uni).
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:14 pm
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The trouble is, there are a lot of other state universities which are far less prestigious than UCLA and Berkeley.

On price alone, I think it will still be highly competitive to pay overseas tuition in the UK.
Yes, definitely - that would be one of the things to investigate - percentage going to each college etc, when (if) looking into it. One should always do the research first.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:21 pm
CM, LoS

Originally Posted by WEBlue
That makes perfect sense, since you found the free magazine at a booth organized by the American Consulate and some (?) combo of US colleges in a shopping mall in Chiang Mai. The students in Thailand are used to mild winters, and would arguabley prefer them.

Hmm, it shows that some of these smaller American colleges are perhaps actively seeking foreign students, with the help of the US Consulate. A prime example, after all, of a kind of American trade show meant to generate sales of an American product (college) abroad.

The odd thing is that they are trying to use price as a selling point. This seems very strange, since generally US colleges have the reputation as being the most expensive in the world.

Perhaps it's only the big-name private US universities that are so expensive?
It is also probably due to the low dollar exchange rate - Thai Baht has stayed strong, so middle-upper class and above Thai families, it has never been cheaper to send kids to the US. Also, in truth, one must weigh the fact that to a Thai employer, an American degree will shine brighter than a Thai one (for both reasons that they are respected more, shows good English skills AND that it shows family wealth - read: contacts/clout - which is oh-so very important here).

So, a USA degree from an accredited uni/college is worth the expense for those that can afford it - of which the poor dollar increases the number - regardless of which name and crest is sports (obviouslt private//ivy league outshines even those, but that's a different story).
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Do we still have HE colleges in the UK? I though they were all merged into these super Unis a few years back under Labour along with Polys??? I know my old local colleges were (absorbed in to Kent Uni).
I believe so, my second son was accepted to what used to be called the local Technical college, still has all the trades being taught as well as one building on the campus that is run by the University of Wales Bangor for foundation degrees which if you complete you can do the third year in Bangor itself for your Ba, but only in a limited number of subjects.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

unclerico is an unknown quantity at this point

Send her to Norway, Uni is free for everyone
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unclerico
Send her to Norway, Uni is free for everyone
Only EEU residents, surely?