Reload this Page >

UK Travel- Operation- Family Support from India

UK Travel- Operation- Family Support from India

Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

reading_1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Travel- Operation- Family Support from India

Hi All,

I need your advise on how to manage a situation which we are going through at the moment.

We have a newborn baby who has been diagnosed with some eye condition that requires surgery. We are British Nationals currently living in Bahrain. The general consensus here is that we should get the operation done in Moorfields Hospital. We were also considering our relocation at the same time.
We have a 11 year old boy who studies in Year 6. It will be overwhelming for us to carry out the operation at the time of our relocation, ensuring our son is also settled down well and goes to school and carry out his activities while we are busy doing the hospital runs for the surgery. Basically, we need family support so that an extra adult can look after my son while we are busy with the baby and intending to invite by Father in Law from India.

My FIL is providing a letter with the application explaining the situation and requesting to issue a visa. He will mention in the letter we live in Bahrain intending to travel to the UK to carry out the operation. He will stay with us during his visit in the UK.

I am wondering whether there will be any objection from the Visa Officer seeing the situation that the applicant will be staying with someone who does not live in the country at the time of application. We have a house where will move in and my father in law will join us. Any observation on this matter?

Also, we are trying to request a waiver to avoid home quarantine, considering that we will be loosing 10 days staying at home. Any similar experience of waiver request? Please share.

There is a huge logistical issue associated with flying back to the UK, bringing additional family support from India, finish home quarantine, and then finally carry out the surgery. It also involves looking after my son.

It also makes things complicated when my FIL will come and he has to do the same quarantine in the same house, which might restrict our movement. Any thoughts on this.

I am thinking loud and would appreciate your comments on our situation.

Thanks

Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Travel- Operation- Family Support from India

Originally Posted by reading_1979
He will mention in the letter we live in Bahrain intending to travel to the UK to carry out the operation.
Is this an operation you're paying for privately? If not, I'd be very careful about what your FIL says, bearing in mind you're not eligible for this under the NHS until you're back living in the UK permanently. So he shouldn't say you're intending to travel for the op as it makes it sound as though that's the only reason for your travel.

Is the surgery urgent? When are you planning on moving?
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I have to pay privately as I cannot wait. The surgery has to be carried out within a fixed time period from birth so that the child's vision is developed. I spoke with the local GP in the UK and we found that the waiting time could be 3 months after our move. This could lead to permanent damage to the vision. Hence, we have to carry out the operation privately. It is a lifelong thing, hence, I can not take chance and wait for our turn.

I noted your point but the family will relocate permanently, as we will not travel back to Bahrain. I may have to return back to finally wrap up the relocation.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

I have a telecon with the hospital tomorrow, and based on the feedback we will plan our travel back to the UK. At the same time, my FIL will apply for UK visa.

This will be a permanent relocation for the family, and I will be finally relocating for tax purposes by November.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If your family can move soon, then that would be better I would think, not sure how likely your FIL is likely to be granted a visa if you aren't even living in the UK yet, but the forum pros will know more about the chances of that.

If your son is in Year 6, then you may find you can juggle care for him without your FIL, if he can go to after school clubs and has transport to/from school provided by the council (or is walking/cycling distance from the school), it would only be 4.30/5pm onwards (ish) that someone would need to be there with him?

I hope you can get the operation sorted asap and I hope it is successful.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Any further comments on the visa application would be appreciated.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Any further comments on the visa application would be appreciated.
The easiest way for your FIL to apply for a visa is to go to a reputable travel agent, they will have experience, and will arrange application forms and sponsor forms etc.
The main difficulty is showing that he has funds to cover his accommodation and any medical expenses he might need.
The usual system is for a UK person to sponsor the finance and accommodation etc. (they will need to fill in an on-line form). Obviously you could do this but you would need a UK address (which will be checked).
Old Sep 16th 2021, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Thank You for your response. I have a house in the UK where we will move in on our arrival to the UK. I will be providing the same address for my FIL visa application. I pay Council Tax, utility bills, etc. The issue is that I as a sponsor do not live in the country at the moment or wont be living during the visa application. Having said that we will arrive in the UK before him, hence, by the time he reaches UK, we will be there. This could be a tricky situation for the Visa Office to assess the application.

I will also be providing my UK bank statement which will show enough funds but will not confirm my salary in the UK, as I am an expat and receives salary in Bahrain.

The only simplified way is that my FIL files the application on his own merit as a Tourist Visa, but the likelihood of getting is very slim considering his age (about 70) and the current pandemic situation.

I believe it needs to be a family visit visa and the biggest question is whether as an expat, I can sponsor him.

Any thoughts

Last edited by reading_1979; Sep 16th 2021 at 10:45 am.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You for your response. I have a house in the UK where we will move in on our arrival to the UK. I will be providing the same address for my FIL visa application. I pay Council Tax, utility bills, etc. The issue is that I as a sponsor do not live in the country at the moment or wont be living during the visa application. Having said that we will arrive in the UK before him, hence, by the time he reaches UK, we will be there. This could be a tricky situation for the Visa Office to assess the application.

I will also be providing my UK bank statement which will show enough funds but will not confirm my salary in the UK, as I am an expat and receives salary in Bahrain.

The only simplified way is that my FIL files the application on his own merit as a Tourist Visa, but the likelihood of getting is very slim considering his age (about 70) and the current pandemic situation.

I believe it needs to be a family visit visa and the biggest question is whether as an expat, I can sponsor him.

Any thoughts

The fact that you have a UK address and bank is important (you don't need to live there all the time)--but you will be responsible in the UK for any medical finances etc, for a tourist visa.
Regardless of you FILs funds you still have to comply with the sponsorship rules.
We (OCI) divide our time between the two countries and are retired. Age is not a problem, we have sponsored guests to the UK older than 70.

However as you say ---the pandemic----and I really do not know how that will affect your FIL. (We returned to UK on one of the last flights out before initial lock-down.---so are still here.)