Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK tax return required after 6 month stay in UK from US?

UK tax return required after 6 month stay in UK from US?

Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK tax return required after 6 month stay in UK from US?

Hi,

A few years back I returned to the UK as my paperwork was processed (J1 ended, H1B pending, then approved). All in all I spent 6 months in the UK, visiting my parents and friends. I had no US income during this time (baring pennies of interest from a savings account, on which I paid US tax), and claimed no social benefits back in the UK (and had no UK income). My girlfriend (now wife) was back in the US and I was only ever intending to continue my residence back in the US once the visa was approved.

I filed US taxes for that year, but wondered if I had any HMRC obligations? As per normal I did not make a conscious decision at the time to ignore this, but, was a little naive of the whole process.

It still worries me a little bit, I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the situation.

Best,

H
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax return required after 6 month stay in UK from US?

Forget it! If it was some years ago and HMRC have not chased you then you are not on their radar. I presume you filed a P85 with HMRC in order to tell them you were leaving UK? Do they know you live in the US and do they have your US address? The only time HMRC may be "interested" is if, and when , you claim any UK derived pensions.
Just make sure your US taxes are up to date!
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Forget it! If it was some years ago and HMRC have not chased you then you are not on their radar. I presume you filed a P85 with HMRC in order to tell them you were leaving UK? Do they know you live in the US and do they have your US address? The only time HMRC may be "interested" is if, and when , you claim any UK derived pensions.
Just make sure your US taxes are up to date!
Thank you for the reply!

I found out about the p85 about the same time I found out about FBAR's and the like. We have hired a cpa who now has us up to date and files our taxes every year. As it stands, I am in good standing with the IRS and State tax authorities and have no reason for that to change.

As for the p85, I should have filed that over 8 years ago, should I do it now? I had heard that it was not mandatory..

HMRC has my parents address and there has been no correspondence.

No plans to take a pension (private or state) from the UK, that will not likely change at all..
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you had no income during your six months in the UK then you don't need to file a tax return but I would file your P85 now stating you left the UK eight years ago. It's not mandatory but you'll likely receive a cheque for tax you are owned.