Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

ToR needed for belongings brought with us on plane?

ToR needed for belongings brought with us on plane?

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:48 am
Just Joined

The Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really nice
Default ToR needed for belongings brought with us on plane?

Hi all,

We are moving to the UK from outside of the EU. We are not shipping any belongings (we have sold/disposed of most of our possessions - shipping was extortionate). We are bringing across approximately 5 large suitcases of clothes, towels, blankets, kids toys and general personal effects, jewellery and small electronics.

My question is, given that we are bringing all of this into the UK in our possession, do we require a ToR number? From what I have read, ToR seems to apply to shipped goods, but I cannot find information regarding whether ToR applies to goods brought in with us on the plane.

How should we declare these items? Do we simply present ourselves to the Customs Something to Declare line?

Thanks in advance!
The Gruffalo's Mum
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

The Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really nice
Default Re: ToR needed for belongings brought with us on plane?

Anyone? Please? :-)
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

From what I read here (https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/declaring-goods), you won't need a ToR for anything you bring with you.

The duty free allowance generally applies to recent acquisitions - for example, going on holiday and buying clothes, electronics etc. I assume you are transporting items that you have owned for more than 6 months. Customs isn't interested in towels or other personal effects. It's alcohol, cigarettes and brand-new goodies. I am not an expert, but I HAVE transported personal items each time I entered the UK to take up residence, and just went through the 'Nothing to Declare' channel, as nothing was new, I didn't have alcohol, perfume or cigarettes (or any of the other goodies that are specifically mentioned) or anything else that could remotely be considered subject to VAT/Import Duty.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Missl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Gruffalos Mum
Hi all,

We are moving to the UK from outside of the EU. We are not shipping any belongings (we have sold/disposed of most of our possessions - shipping was extortionate). We are bringing across approximately 5 large suitcases of clothes, towels, blankets, kids toys and general personal effects, jewellery and small electronics.

My question is, given that we are bringing all of this into the UK in our possession, do we require a ToR number? From what I have read, ToR seems to apply to shipped goods, but I cannot find information regarding whether ToR applies to goods brought in with us on the plane.

How should we declare these items? Do we simply present ourselves to the Customs Something to Declare line?

Thanks in advance!
The Gruffalo's Mum

We just moved to the UK last week with 5 suitcases. We didn't need a ToR and we didn't declare anything as they were all our own used things (same type of stuff as you've listed)
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Awesome, thanks Vadio and MissI!

Does anyone know if we need to go through the "something to declare" line for prescription medications? If so, will customs become interested in the meagre shreds of our previous life in our 5 sad suitcases? ;-)

Will it make a difference that, jewellery/electronics included, our total exceeds Euro10k?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if we need to go through the "something to declare" line for prescription medications? If so, will customs become interested in the meagre shreds of our previous life in our 5 sad suitcases? ;-)

Will it make a difference that, jewellery/electronics included, our total exceeds Euro10k?
I have entered England dozens of times carrying my prescriptions with me and never declared them. If duty is due on prescriptions then I have been breaking the law for years.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

No duty is due on Rx drugs/equipment etc. I also have gone back and forth with Rx drugs

As far as the value of jewellery/electronics etc. exceeding 10K Euro, unless recently purchased, everything is merely personal possessions that you chose to bring with you rather than ship.

Think of it this way - if you were shipping, and everything was covered by the 'owned more than 6 months' criterion, and you had the ToR, would you expect to pay VAT/duty? If no, then 'nothing to declare'.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Prescription medications are generally OK provided:
1. For personal use only, not to be sold or as gifts.
2. No more than three months' supply. Which is generally taken to mean up to 90 doses unless there is evidence otherwise.
More than 90 days you are expected to obtain prescription and further supplies locally.
For injectables (insulin, estrogen, whatever) - be sure to have a written prescription for them.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant, thanks so much everyone!! :-)
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

My husband brought in three months of prescriptions when we returned to the UK because he did not want to expect the NHS to provide medication right away. Unfortunately, as soon as he registered with the Surgery, they said they had to prescribe the UK equivalents. it made sense really.