UK Pension Help

Old Mar 26th 2017, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

ab.kelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Pension Help

Hi there...
Great forum this! Loving it...
I'm a 58 year old Kiwi, with a British Passport, currently living in New Zealand.
However, I did live/work in the UK for around 13 years, and made NI contributions during that time, and have decided to return to the UK in the next few months to live permanently.
I know I'm entitled to a UK State Pension, but am unsure about:
1. How much I'm entitled to; and
2. How the NZ-UK pension agreement, which allows for my residence in NZ to count towards the NI Scheme in the UK, helps?
I've tried logging into the UK's Government Gateway to ascertain the above but - while I know my NI number - it keeps asking for a UK postal code, so is no help at all, I'm afraid...
Has anybody had a similar experience...?
Thanks...
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension Help

I couldn't create an ID on the Government Gateway either, until I returned to the U.K. last year. However, a few years earlier I did get all my UK pension details, NI history and sign up to pay voluntary NI contributions. I did all this via letter and the post office. I found them (DWP) to be very responsive.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks durham_lad ... I was thinking that was likely the best way to go, yeah?

Andrew
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

As you are not in UK you need to contact the International Pensions centre. They will send you a pension forecast. https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
the reason the Government Gateway needs a UK postcode is because they send you an activation number by post and it has to be used within (I think) 7 days otherwise it becomes invalid. Once you have it then you can log in from anywhere - but now they send a code to your mobile to input when you try to log in. works well tho' . I used it the other day as HMRC sent me email to say there was a message for me - it was next fiscal years tax code details.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks quiltman! Appreciated...

Andrew
Old Mar 27th 2017, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ab.kelly
Thanks quiltman! Appreciated...

Andrew
you are welcome!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Quiltman i have used the on line contact several times and always get a Maelor demon reject, I just tried again

''This is the mail system at host g4t3426.houston.hpe.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.''

Same again sadly
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

vegteach is an unknown quantity at this point

I keept getting that same message, and when I called, the woman hung up on my after my hour on hold. Anyone know how to get around that Mailer Demon bounceback?
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
...the reason the Government Gateway needs a UK postcode is because they send you an activation number by post and it has to be used within (I think) 7 days otherwise...
I used this method https://www.signin.service.gov.uk/start as an alternative.

It works but you need something that can be checked.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 2:54 am
Just Joined

vegteach is an unknown quantity at this point

That just brings me right to a page saying there is an error. It's not asking for a post code or anything. I'm trying to use the email form on the international pensions page, but it keeps bouncing back. I tried calling, but the woman hung up on me.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you get going with voluntary contributions its all very simple. You just have to realize it takes them around four months to post the latest contribution to the amount shown.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I always found Nat Ins Contributions (International Section) in Longbenton very efficient. I stared dealing with before internet and cheap international phone calls. I used the postal service for contact. I paid arrears and continued to pay and bingo when I turned 65 I started to get my State Retirement Pension.

Now I am an active militant in the Pensioners' Movement - a "Grey Panther" !