Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I wonder if Prince Harry has to apply for spouse visa for Megan

I wonder if Prince Harry has to apply for spouse visa for Megan

Old Nov 27th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default I wonder if Prince Harry has to apply for spouse visa for Megan

Interesting. Is he exempt as he is Royalty. Just asking? Know it is not important but tongue in cheek!
Old Nov 27th 2017, 5:37 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wonder if Prince Harry has to apply for spouse visa for Megan

Ha ha!

I was wondering exactly the same this afternoon.

Any royal watchers out there?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 5:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently she will (need a visa), although Downing St refused to answer the question directly, instead pointing reporters to the visa rules.
I don't think Harry's going to have to stress about meeting the financial requirements

4h ago
14:59
Will Meghan need a visa to join Harry?

Will Meghan Markle, an American national, need to apply for a visa to join her soon-to-be spouse in the UK? Downing Street declined to comment to reporters who asked the question at this morning’s lobby briefing and directed the question to the House Office.

The Home Office “does not comment on individual cases” but pointed the Guardian towards the rules for family visas, which are needed if you wish to remain in the UK with your spouse or fiance.

The decision is usually made within eight weeks and will cost £993, or £1,583 if Meghan decides to use the premium service. There are restrictions, including if you cannot prove your knowledge of English or your spouse does not meet the minimum income requirement of £18,000 or cash savings above £16,000, but that is unlikely to be an issue for the couple.

It is not clear which visa Meghan is currently using to be in the UK, but if she is here on a visitor visa, under the official system, she would need to leave the UK in order to apply for her family visa.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...b3f2056cb1c2a7
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Oh so glad she joins us then? ☺
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Interesting. Is he exempt as he is Royalty. Just asking? Know it is not important but tongue in cheek!
Interesting question!
As a precedent, according to Wikipedia - The Queen's eldest grandson (Princess Anne's son Peter Phillips) married a Canadian, a Catholic converted to CofE, but who has remained Canadian. No idea what Autumn's status is, but Peter Phillips and their children are in the line of succession.
Another world-shattering question - will divorced Meghan convert to CofE, so that Prince Harry and any children will remain in the line of succession? AFAIK the Act of Settlement providing that heirs to the throne be Anglicans is still valid...
Likewise tongue-in-cheek....
Old Nov 28th 2017, 1:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect she will need to comply with the same immigration rules as everyone else - Phillip naturalised as a British subject before marrying the then-Princess Elizabeth - although I suspect Ms Markle will avail herself of the new Settlement Gold service for a speedy decision

The Act of Succession changes means that Harry can now marry a Catholic without losing his place in the line of succession but any children will still need to be CoE to keep theirs.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I suspect she will need to comply with the same immigration rules as everyone else - Phillip naturalised as a British subject before marrying the then-Princess Elizabeth - although I suspect Ms Markle will avail herself of the new Settlement Gold service for a speedy decision

The Act of Succession changes means that Harry can now marry a Catholic without losing his place in the line of succession but any children will still need to be CoE to keep theirs.
If they need any advice on how to make a 'mixed religion' marriage work, I'm available Fee on application.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If they need any advice on how to make a 'mixed religion' marriage work, I'm available Fee on application.
This Beeb article shines a light on these questions - no fast track to citizenship and Ms Markle will be converting to CoE before the ceremony, although it describes her as a 'Protestant' - apparently that Catholic upbringing didn't stick - which I would suggest is a polite way of saying 'nominal'.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Ms Markle will be converting to CoE before the ceremony
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Seems fair, though. God is CofE, after all. I don't see how anyone could have any quibbles with the thirty- nine articles.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:36 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by robin1234
Seems fair, though. God is CofE, after all. I don't see how anyone could have any quibbles with the thirty- nine articles.

God Schmod, I'm just disappointed that my business plan failed before it started.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

ITV reported yesterday that she will become a British citizen prior to the wedding, but that she will still have to take what they called the 'citizenship test'. I assume that incorrectly refers to the Life in the UK test, needed for ILR.

So, the legal process of Fiance visa, followed by FLM, followed by ILR, followed by citizenship (assuming she meets the good character requirements and hasn't been traveling too much) seemingly doesn't apply.

I wonder if she's been stamped in as a visitor and if she's been here more than 6 months during the past 12 months?

Seriously, quite happy for them, but rules is rules, no?

Edit - this also assumes that ITV reported correctly.....

Last edited by Vadio; Nov 29th 2017 at 8:03 am.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:16 am
Concierge

From CNN

Meghan Markle intends to become a UK citizen, the British royal family has announced, confirming that the American actor's marriage to Prince Harry would take place at Windsor Castle in May next year.

A spokesman said Markle would retain US citizenship through the process of becoming a UK citizen but it was "too early to say" if she would retain dual nationality. The process is expected to take several years.

Meghan Markle intends to become UK citizen after marriage to Prince Harry - CNN
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I will see them at Croydon PSC when we go for our next visa! Watch out for posts from them on here asking for advice on the list of documents to be submitted! It will be a pleasure to advise as they are a lovely couple.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 7:25 pm

I would take anything you read in the popular press or on television regarding immigration law with a very large pinch of salt; it's invariably wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.