Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Parents attending wedding of their K-1 son

UK Parents attending wedding of their K-1 son

Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Parents attending wedding of their K-1 son

Hi,

My parents are both 59. My dad works for the same company since he was 16. My mother is retired due to ill health. They own their home outright.

They both would like to attend my marriage to my USC fiance this June, but I'm worried that they'll be turned away at the airport because CBP(?) might think that they're here to stay permanently as their son (me) is here on a K-1 (I've yet to enter the US).

Is this anything to worry about? Would it be better to get a Visitors visa for them? Shall I instruct them to say they're "on holiday visiting friends for a week" (which will be true) when asked what they're purpose of travel is?

Rgds,
Smaug!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Parents attending wedding of their K-1 son

Should be fine. My parents came from England (and many times since) no problem. They just come on the VWP.

Is there any reason to think there would be a problem - are they not British Passport holders? Have they had problems before?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:52 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

I think attending yours sons wedding is a very valid reason to be able to come to the US! And since they are from the UK I wouldn't forsee them having any problem for it. My parents came to visit me for our wedding and they didn't have any problems. I don't know what they told the POE officer, but they didn't seem to have any problems. There probably aren't too many cases of parents wanting to remain in the country based on their sons marriage, so I think they should be fine.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They are not using a tourist visa but the VWP to enter the US. If asked they are on Holiday. Not a lie. Even they were to stay to attention my son's wedding, doubt they would have a problem. They are middle aged middle class people from a country that participates in the VWP. Their likelihood of fraudulently entering to remain until you become a USC and can petition for them is remote.

Originally Posted by Smaug
Hi,

My parents are both 59. My dad works for the same company since he was 16. My mother is retired due to ill health. They own their home outright.

They both would like to attend my marriage to my USC fiance this June, but I'm worried that they'll be turned away at the airport because CBP(?) might think that they're here to stay permanently as their son (me) is here on a K-1 (I've yet to enter the US).

Is this anything to worry about? Would it be better to get a Visitors visa for them? Shall I instruct them to say they're "on holiday visiting friends for a week" (which will be true) when asked what they're purpose of travel is?

Rgds,
Smaug!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Okay.. that's a relief and one less thing to worry about Thank you!

The only thing left to worry about is what they're gonna do to occupy themselves for a week, as they've not been to the US before, and certainly wont be driving... !
Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:15 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing left to worry about is what they're gonna do to occupy themselves for a week, as they've not been to the US before, and certainly wont be driving... !
Do you live in a city where they could maybe move around on their own, like on a subway or anything?
Who knows, maybe you won't have your EAD yet so you won't have anything to do yourself, so you could always show them around?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steffi
Do you live in a city where they could maybe move around on their own, like on a subway or anything?
Who knows, maybe you won't have your EAD yet so you won't have anything to do yourself, so you could always show them around?
I'm entering via JFK, so hopefully I stand a pretty decent chance.. even still if I get a job, I might request a few days off.

Sadly, there's no subway, and I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a bus system there where I was visiting! I need to check with my girl on that one. It's in the Albany, NY region.

I've a fair idea of how to get from A to B, but I'd not be able to explain things very well

My concern stems from when I was first here visiting. I didn't know anything about transport, what was available in the local region to visit, and so on. Hmm, perhaps I am just worrying way too much!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

carpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to all

I'm entering via JFK, so hopefully I stand a pretty decent chance.. even still if I get a job, I might request a few days off.

Sadly, there's no subway, and I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a bus system there where I was visiting! I need to check with my girl on that one. It's in the Albany, NY region.

I've a fair idea of how to get from A to B, but I'd not be able to explain things very well

My concern stems from when I was first here visiting. I didn't know anything about transport, what was available in the local region to visit, and so on. Hmm, perhaps I am just worrying way too much!
I myself am from Albany, NY region and there is pretty decent bus system to get around over here.
you can check the bus stops and schedules at:
http://www.cdta.org/
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Okay.. that's a relief and one less thing to worry about Thank you!

And why not? Your dad or mom doesn't have a driver's license? They can use it here in the States you know ;-)

Either you or your fiancee sit down at the computer and find points of interest within a 50 to 100 mile radius of the city you are in. Look for local travel agents that handle local tours via bus or train.

Importantly introduce them if you can to the places which you will frequently use. This way when you talk with them and mention that you went to the supermarket, or the deli, or the local pub, they can then visualize where you were.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:21 pm
Concierge

That'll teach me to read all of the threads. ALBANY !!!!!!!!! What a great place for them to be visiting. There are local tours of the Lake George/Sarasota Spring area. It is only 45 minutes north of you. Or they could hop a bus tour for the day to Montreal. Albany is the capital of New York State. There is a wonderful government plaza they could walk around in with outdoor eating, fountains, etc. Lake George is a lovely town, lots of discount outlet shopping, the Fort to visit, the lake as several cruises and one is lunch and/or dinner, your choice.

They should truly enjoy themselves on their visit.

PS We were married at the Ramada Inn in Lake George/Queensberry.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
And why not? Your dad or mom doesn't have a driver's license? They can use it here in the States you know ;-)

Either you or your fiancee sit down at the computer and find points of interest within a 50 to 100 mile radius of the city you are in. Look for local travel agents that handle local tours via bus or train.

Importantly introduce them if you can to the places which you will frequently use. This way when you talk with them and mention that you went to the supermarket, or the deli, or the local pub, they can then visualize where you were.
Well, my dad drives, but he's no experience driving on the 'right' side of the road .. nor with US road rules.. I do, and I still struggle. Besides that, I'm not sure they'll be insured, and they wont know how to get from A to B

I think though, that a daily plan of activities would be good, and like you say.. take them to the places we frequent.

And thank you to carpdiem for the Bus link!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
That'll teach me to read all of the threads. ALBANY !!!!!!!!! What a great place for them to be visiting. There are local tours of the Lake George/Sarasota Spring area. It is only 45 minutes north of you. Or they could hop a bus tour for the day to Montreal. Albany is the capital of New York State. There is a wonderful government plaza they could walk around in with outdoor eating, fountains, etc. Lake George is a lovely town, lots of discount outlet shopping, the Fort to visit, the lake as several cruises and one is lunch and/or dinner, your choice.

They should truly enjoy themselves on their visit.

PS We were married at the Ramada Inn in Lake George/Queensberry.
When I first planned to visit that region in Dec 2003, my girl said that there's absolutely nothing to do for fun. When I planned to go there last summer, 2004, she mentioned a few things that we could do...

Now I'm glad I asked here.. ! I didn't know of the tours..! We took a 3 day trip to Montreal last summer, which was some long driving, but fun, especially being stopped on the way back at a road block, with officers wanting to see my passport and visa (VWP)

The gov't plaza we visited a few times.. it's nice, but seemed a little vacant. The Corning tower was open for visitors though. I've not been to Lake George, but I'll add it to my list.. they like scenery, and I know they'll get plenty of it from near where we'll be living.

Thank you very much for that! I feel much better about it now. I originally envisaged them being a burden, having to babysit them.. how terribly awful I feel for that now You're absolutely right, I should enjoy them being there, and spending time with them. And on the day before the wedding, I'm sure they'd be happy to spend a bit of time with her parents while we do the last minute prep work
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

carpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to all

When I first planned to visit that region in Dec 2003, my girl said that there's absolutely nothing to do for fun. When I planned to go there last summer, 2004, she mentioned a few things that we could do...
Thank you very much for that! I feel much better about it now. I originally envisaged them being a burden, having to babysit them.. how terribly awful I feel for that now You're absolutely right, I should enjoy them being there, and spending time with them. And on the day before the wedding, I'm sure they'd be happy to spend a bit of time with her parents while we do the last minute prep work
Just wanted to add in that i have been in this area for only a year, and i hated it in teh beginning, thinking there is not much to do and boring... but once you are out, its quite a beautiful place to be. I have lived only a couple of miles from Lake George and its one of the beautiful natural places to be in the summer especially there are couple of other lakes as well, the area is just surrounded by natural scenery, you get to see the perfect fall colors, the best summer and awesome skiing winter if you dont mind the snow ;(

Just wanted to mention, there is Historic Saratoga battle ground in Saratoga, very interesting and informative place to visit ( I had my citizenship oath ceremony there on 4th of July, What a scene ) Also there is a University
Art Museum worth seeing, there are daily trips in the summer from Albany Aqua Ducks which are quite interesting and very amusing couple of details about it here:
http://www.albany.org/pages/listings...round&showSub=

Inshort, this place is full of all kinds of activites just needs a bit of serach to find out

Good Luck!

Sanna
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:12 pm
Concierge

What long drive to Montreal from Albany? Should have taken you all of 2 to 2-1/2 hours from your place straight up the Northway ... once through the border another 30 minutes to Montreal.

Jim and I drive up to Chateguay (I know I can't spell it but I can pronounce it ) to visit his family and it is right outside of Montreal. From NYC it takes up 6 hours. 3-1/2 hours to get to Lake George and another 2 hours to get to the border.

Yes, even though it is sparodic there is a lot more border activity today than even two years ago. Too much smuggling of human cargo across the border.

If your folks come in the Summer there are the races at Saratoga. There are also Revolutionary re-enactments in Bolton Springs. There is the Ballet, Theatre, Concerts in the areas outside of the city of Albany. And in the summer there are concerts and plays in the government plaza.

There is good shopping in Colonie and in Schneteday. Outlet malls of the top brands are all along the Northway and a super big slew of them on the main road into Lake George. Believe it is Canada Street. If you like German food, you can try The Grill at the Ramada Inn in Queensbury/Lake George. Ute and Jim own it and Ute does the cooking. It is where we had our wedding and the food is delicious and very authentic.

http://www.lakegeorge.com/

http://www.lakegeorgevillage.com/

http://www.saratoga-springs.org/

http://www.hayfieldqualitytours.com/

http://www.hayfieldqualitytours.com/...tive_tours.htm

Like all things it depends on what you consider fun.

Rete

Now I'm glad I asked here.. ! I didn't know of the tours..! We took a 3 day trip to Montreal last summer, which was some long driving, but fun, especially being stopped on the way back at a road block, with officers wanting to see my passport and visa (VWP)

The gov't plaza we visited a few times.. it's nice, but seemed a little vacant. The Corning tower was open for visitors though. I've not been to Lake George, but I'll add it to my list.. they like scenery, and I know they'll get plenty of it from near where we'll be living.

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

As others have said, there should be no problem at all. My husband's parents, both retired, came over for our wedding, in addition to his siblings and their spouses. They told immigration they were coming over for our wedding and
also for some pleasure travel. No worries.

Dawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.