Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Parents attending wedding of their K-1 son

UK Parents attending wedding of their K-1 son

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:37 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Parents attending wedding of their K-1 son

Originally Posted by Rete

Importantly introduce them if you can to the places which you will frequently use. This way when you talk with them and mention that you went to the supermarket, or the deli, or the local pub, they can then visualize where you were.
Excellent idea. When my rel's started visiting they were more than happy to go around all the places that I would consider to be mundane. It gives them and idea of what your life is like here. And, as you say, when they're back in the UK and you're chatting on the phone it's so much nicer to be able to refer to these places and have them able to visualise them.

Thanks for pointing that out Rete.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to psychobabbler1 and UKintheUSA! I have a 'Gold' account with LloydsTSB, and for part of that, I get around a month's free travel insurance for each trip. I called and had this raised to 3 months, for a figure that was less than £100.. (can't recall it now). As for being excited.. well! Worried is more the feeling at the moment.. so much to plan, leaving work, leaving home, the wedding, getting a job, and I'm accumulating an ever-growing list of people who have issued strict instructions that I must say goodbye to them before I go ;p (None of them have offered to come say goodbye *to me* yet ;p)

My mother, bless her heart, can't quite understand that I'm not going to live in NYC (specifically Manhattan).. as she thinks that encompasses all of NY state, and that all of the US is like that. She did however comment on the wooden house my fiancee lives in, referring to it quite innocently as a 'hut'...
CaliforniaBride and Rete.. you're spot on.. I need to show them that it's a nice place.. safe, etc. I know I appreciated the tours my girl took me on after she had spent so long describing them to me.

As for the 'long' drive to Montreal... where I come from.. 3 hours is a long drive ;p That's like from my rural farming-area home, to London Sadly, they'll have to solo that, as I wont be leaving the US unless I get AP in time :/

I'm not sure about the racing, but I bet they'd love the re-enactments.. I know I would! Another event I recall attending in Washington Park (Park Playhouse) was 'Fiddler on the Roof'. Seats at the rear are free, with a souveneir t-shirt for only $10.

Thank you so so much for the huge list of ideas..! I think I'm gonna present it to my parents and let them choose what sounds interesting to them, in addition to showing them around the regular day-to-day stuff like supermarkets, banking, etc.

I think this is now gonna be a lot of fun for us all!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:22 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smaug
Worried is more the feeling at the moment.. so much to plan, leaving work, leaving home, the wedding, getting a job, and I'm accumulating an ever-growing list of people who have issued strict instructions that I must say goodbye to them before I go ;p (None of them have offered to come say goodbye *to me* yet ;p)
Ahhh yes, don't you love it when your friends forget that they're not the only friend that you have! *L* You could always have a "good-bye" party if you don't have the time to spend with each friend alone.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
Ahhh yes, don't you love it when your friends forget that they're not the only friend that you have! *L* You could always have a "good-bye" party if you don't have the time to spend with each friend alone.
Well, more like family that I see once every other year or so.. lol
I'm not gonna have a party.. I hate planning parties - they never go right especially when half the people don't turn up.. strange thing is, I'd be quite happy if half the people didn't turn up for our wedding.. *sheepish grin*.

For my buddies, they often complain of being cash-strapped, but I'm sure I can throw a pint their way, and organise one last night out right before I go.

Fortunately, a friend of mine is coming from Germany to get married the week before I leave the UK, so we're all gonna get to see each other one last time (for a while), which is really nice!

Anyways, I've had a chat with my folks just now about the ideas you guys have come up with, and they seem pretty pleased with them My dad confirmed that he wouldn't wanna drive though.. hehe
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:59 pm
Eric S.

And don't forget that Albany is only a couple of hours north of New York
City. They can take the train or the bus down and visit the city for the
day, or a couple of days. Boston is also only a few hours away. The train
there is not as easy as the one to NYC, but there are always buses.

- Eric S.

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > > I'm entering via JFK, so hopefully I stand a pretty decent chance..
    > > even still if I get a job, I might request a few days off.
    > >
    > > Sadly, there's no subway, and I could be wrong, but I don't recall
    > > seeing a bus system there where I was visiting! I need to check with
    > > my girl on that one. It's in the Albany, NY region.
    > >
    > > I've a fair idea of how to get from A to B, but I'd not be able to
    > > explain things very well ;)
    > >
    > > My concern stems from when I was first here visiting. I didn't know
    > > anything about transport, what was available in the local region to
    > > visit, and so on. Hmm, perhaps I am just worrying way too much!
    > That'll teach me to read all of the threads. ALBANY !!!!!!!!! What a
    > great place for them to be visiting. There are local tours of the Lake
    > George/Sarasota Spring area. It is only 45 minutes north of you. Or
    > they could hop a bus tour for the day to Montreal. Albany is the
    > capital of New York State. There is a wonderful government plaza they
    > could walk around in with outdoor eating, fountains, etc. Lake George
    > is a lovely town, lots of discount outlet shopping, the Fort to visit,
    > the lake as several cruises and one is lunch and/or dinner, your choice.
    > They should truly enjoy themselves on their visit.
    > PS We were married at the Ramada Inn in Lake George/Queensberry.
    > --
    > I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com