Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK house prices to breach 300,000 GBP...

UK house prices to breach 300,000 GBP...

Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK house prices to breach 300,000 GBP...

I happen to keep my eye on this site:
www.thecreativeinvestor.com
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Parental assistance is a big thing yes, but I would think *most* baby boomer parents did not own their own homes. Certainly not enough value to fuel the current situation. Council housing back then was what the majority of ordinary people lived in. Very well looked after proper council houses.

I can only think of 2 or 3 examples in my grandparents generation which must have been some 20 odd people that owned their houses. And whilst that is true to some extent for the middle - upper middle + classes, those approaching old age now are well aware they may not get through without using the house to pay for nursing care.

about 8 yrs ago a neighbour's son of a lady i know bought not only his parents council house but also approached 5 other immediate neighbours in the road and provided them with the finances to purchase their houses from the council. everything was all drawn up legally and he now collects the rent as he is the owner of all 5 houses, 6 counting his parents.

one house in the same road was for sale last yr for oiro £250,000 and he in turn paid roughly £35,000 for each property. the clever lad is 38yrs old now.

lots of similar cases i've heard of since maggie started selling off the council houses.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
about 8 yrs ago a neighbour's son of a lady i know bought not only his parents council house but also approached 5 other immediate neighbours in the road and provided them with the finances to purchase their houses from the council. everything was all drawn up legally and he now collects the rent as he is the owner of all 5 houses, 6 counting his parents.

one house in the same road was for sale last yr for oiro £250,000 and he in turn paid roughly £35,000 for each property. the clever lad is 38yrs old now.

lots of similar cases i've heard of since maggie started selling off the council houses.
Is he single?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Is he single?
haha nope, brian is married.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And if you're eligible, here's an option courtesy of the US government!

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007...7_498_9_07.txt
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

And if you're eligible, here's an option courtesy of the US government!

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007...7_498_9_07.txt
Sending "gung-ho" soldiers fresh from boot camp or war zones back to their hometowns to visit old friends and schoolmates to promote the Army.

Err...might work...
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally
Sending "gung-ho" soldiers fresh from boot camp or war zones back to their hometowns to visit old friends and schoolmates to promote the Army.

Err...might work...

LOL

I was referring to the fact that they may be offering signing-on bonuses for houses, businesses etc
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

LOL

I was referring to the fact that they may be offering signing-on bonuses for houses, businesses etc
Yes...sorry I couldn't help noticing the other ideas though.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:15 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

When you think about it...most houses on the Cape cost over $300k...most people here ..earn $1,280 a month before tax...even with 2 people working I can see why most low paid people live in Motel rooms....
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit

Quite! It would thoroughly piss me off ten odd years ago when huge discounts were still available that the sons/daughters of long term tennants could buy their parents/grandparents houses for 25% of what we were having to front up.

I know it's not the only factor in today's mess but it's a hell of a big one. The policy has to go up as one of the, if not the, most shortsighted political move of the last century.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
When you think about it...most houses on the Cape cost over $300k...most people here ..earn $1,280 a month before tax...even with 2 people working I can see why most low paid people live in Motel rooms....
Aye, we bitch about UK prices but tbh, I didnt see the much difference between my friends situations in the UK and my friends in the US.

Ex navy divorcee I knew was on $7.5 an hour as a shop manager and looking at $200k for a 2 bed condo at the time, she didnt have a hope in hell even with child maintainance payments coming in. I do believe prices have come off the boil since then but not hugely.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:48 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I don't know - it's a mystery to me - maybe some people are inheriting money.
I used one house to buy another...if you are in the right area...house prices go up steady enough to do that even in a down market....
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by krizzy
I used one house to buy another...if you are in the right area...house prices go up steady enough to do that even in a down market....
Yes good point
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:35 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

The other thing I've noticed here is people nolonger paid off their homes....they used them as ATM Machines....we own one of our homes outright....and a lot of the other one...giving us money now to look for a third house...money is always in houses not matter what the market is like...if you did it right....all this quick flipping has turned the market around so much that people in some area's want old homes to look new...good that the housing stock is getting remodeled...but bad in that they want so much for the homes after...putting a lot of old homes out of the reach of local people....
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
One big way round that though is housing associations. Something serious has to be done long term, but short term we have the potential of seeing tens of thousands of repos falling into the hands of developers and letters because foreclosures will go to auction and most potential homebuyers wont.
I quite agree, most housing associations in Gt Manc are 50% rent 50% buy, its the only way to get onto the crazy housing ladder.