Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:58 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes Dennis Skinner is a good man. I admire George Galloway and I play that video of his contemptuous lecture to the contemptible US Senate Committee Hearing just to cheer myself up. But, he may be a charlatan and I crook, I'm not sure.
I happen to think that a high proportion of politicians are honorable women and men.. Dennis Skinner is a great example.
Boris Johnson and his predecessor as Mayor of London are both admirable politicians. I could think of many others.
I have to agree, it's very easy for the non-thinking to lambast them, but they do a very difficult job that 99.99% of the population would not be capable of. Doubtless some are just in it for the power and influence, but I suspect relatively few.

Obviously they have lives and careers after they leave politics, what would we expect them to do otherwise, sign on the dole?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Dennis Skinner is a good man. I admire George Galloway and I play that video of his contemptuous lecture to the contemptible US Senate Committee Hearing just to cheer myself up. But, he may be a charlatan and I crook, I'm not sure.
I happen to think that a high proportion of politicians are honorable women and men.. Dennis Skinner is a great example.
Boris Johnson and his predecessor as Mayor of London are both admirable politicians. I could think of many others.
Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I have to agree, it's very easy for the non-thinking to lambast them, but they do a very difficult job that 99.99% of the population would not be capable of. Doubtless some are just in it for the power and influence, but I suspect relatively few.

Obviously they have lives and careers after they leave politics, what would we expect them to do otherwise, sign on the dole?
I agree. Too easy to tar them all with the same brush.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know that.. seems a bit parochial. In general though, I think that is a good benefit and a good way to subsidise bus services, thus benefiting people of all ageas, not just pensioners.
Parochial...yes, maybe in such a physically small country such as this island nation of ours, but that's how things pan out increasingly now that Scotland and Wales have their own national Parliament (Scotland) and Assembly (Wales). Scotland has always had a different legal system to that of England and Wales, but nowadays the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood, here in Edinburgh, has introduced a range of local, domestic packages that do not apply in the other two home countries, such as free university education, for example, and free care home facilities for the elderly.

Increasingly Wales is introducing measures that do not apply over the border in England, such as free medical prescriptions for every person resident in Wales. In England that only applies to everyone over the age of 60, and to those in certain categories with special needs, and pregnant women. I believe that Wales, too, is to introduce free univesity education on a par with Scotland, but offhand I may be wrong there.

I'm surprised about those bus pass limitations though. My grandparents live near Ledbury, Herefordshire, England and I know that they make use of their free bus passes, such as on regular trips into Hereford itself - none of the hassle of driving the 15 miles there and back from Ledbury. I know that buses travel between Hereford (England) and Brecon (Wales) and I wonder what happens when people use their passes issued in England, or the other way round? Maybe they get chucked off the bus at the border unless they come up with the relative portion of the fare applicable in either country. It sounds stupid to me.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:13 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Parochial...yes, maybe in such a physically small country such as this island nation of ours, but that's how things pan out increasingly now that Scotland and Wales have their own national Parliament (Scotland) and Assembly (Wales). Scotland has always had a different legal system to that of England and Wales, but nowadays the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood, here in Edinburgh, has introduced a range of local, domestic packages that do not apply in the other two home countries, such as free university education, for example, and free care home facilities for the elderly.

Increasingly Wales is introducing measures that do not apply over the border in England, such as free medical prescriptions for every person resident in Wales. In England that only applies to everyone over the age of 60, and to those in certain categories with special needs, and pregnant women. I believe that Wales, too, is to introduce free univesity education on a par with Scotland, but offhand I may be wrong there.

I'm surprised about those bus pass limitations though. My grandparents live near Ledbury, Herefordshire, England and I know that they make use of their free bus passes, such as on regular trips into Hereford itself - none of the hassle of driving the 15 miles there and back from Ledbury. I know that buses travel between Hereford (England) and Brecon (Wales) and I wonder what happens when people use their passes issued in England, or the other way round? Maybe they get chucked off the bus at the border unless they come up with the relative portion of the fare applicable in either country. It sounds stupid to me.
Suddenly I have a vision of OAPS hitchiking.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michelmas
FYI, people typically only comment on posts like you did if they disagree with them or they are patently wrong. In this case, neither applies. And just to keep the record straight, I had 3 replies to me via PM and karma fully supporting what I said.

All politicians are liars - fact, All politicians line there own pockets in any way they can - fact. It's shear blind stupid luck if the common man actually gets any benefits along the way.

What an asinine comment.
LOL...........you didn't even see the wink after the comment, is this your first time on an internet forum .

Oh and getting the support of about 3% of the people reading the thread is not really support! However Labour would have listened to you as the UK suffered from caring too much about the opinion of the few, Blair's wife is probably to blame for that with her background in Human Rights........