Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

Wikiposts

UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

Old Dec 26th 2010, 5:20 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

As the title implies. About time too I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12081634
Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:31 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

The article stated that "'abroad fraud' cost the taxpayer about £66m last year." I often read random comments from people with the misplaced belief that the UK is over following with benefit claiming immigrants. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of "abroad fraud" was the greater offender
Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
The article stated that "'abroad fraud' cost the taxpayer about £66m last year." I often read random comments from people with the misplaced belief that the UK is over following with benefit claiming immigrants. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of "abroad fraud" was the greater offender
£66m is a tiny amount compared with the total welfare budget. I suspect that NHS fraud from non-residents returning for treatment is far higher.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
£66m is a tiny amount compared with the total welfare budget.
Precisely! Political posturing on a non-issue by the look of it.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
As the title implies. About time too I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12081634
I agree they should crack down on the fraud but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:12 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish the UK would increase the amount of the Winter Fuel Payment though... it doesn't go very far this year, with the price of fuel oil here in the northeast.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:26 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I agree they should crack down on the fraud but I'll believe it when I see it.
I also agree with you and Fatbrit, political posturing, but I would expect the returns to be far less than predicted if something actually does get done about it.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
.... political posturing, but I would expect the returns to be far less than predicted if something actually does get done about it.
If the Conservatives had won the recent General Election outright, and with a decisive majority, then there would be no doubt at all that this massive problem of benefit fraud, of all kinds, in the UK would have been tackled head on right from the word go, no messing, no half measures, as the last (Labour ) Governent had done zilch all about it in spite of their meaningless weasel words concerning a "need to deal with it"! The fact is, the Labour Government had all but encouraged the misuse of public funds in this country in too many ways.

Sadly the Conservatives did no get an overall majority, as you well know, and the fact that they are now in co-alition with the Liberal Democrats means that they are having to compromise in so many ways - their wings are clipped by this, and with the aid of the more limp wristed of the Liberal Democrats it could well be that the ever so necessary steps to bring out positive results in preventing widespread fraud, and even administrative errors in the running of the whole very complicated benefits system here in the UK, will end up being far less effective than would otherwise be the case.

All the decent, hardworking taxpayers of the UK are peed off to the back teeth with so much of their money ending up in the wrong hands of the wrong people!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:31 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

More tory bollox they waste more on stupid costing exercises When I was in the US I actually got one benefit and it was legitimate because I told them all about my move etc so not all claimants are fiddling.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:25 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
More tory bollox they waste more on stupid costing exercises When I was in the US I actually got one benefit and it was legitimate because I told them all about my move etc so not all claimants are fiddling.
Just out of curiosity, what sorts of UK benefits can you get legitimately if you are living overseas?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:41 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

incapacity as was
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
incapacity as was
Wow, I didn't know that was possible (I'm genuinely interested in the rules and regs, not making any judgements).
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:46 am
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by dunroving
Wow, I didn't know that was possible (I'm genuinely interested in the rules and regs, not making any judgements).
TBH you and me both lol but it may have been the circumstances of the award which shall remain private
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

He said the money "should be going to the people who need it most and not lining the pockets of criminals sunning themselves overseas."
Presumably if the criminal moves somewhere overcast, it's alright?

Complete posturing.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

There was a thread in the Europe forum yesterday, it seems quite a lot of people in Spain are on incapacity/disability allowance and it is permitted.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561437

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.