UK aint so bad!

Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:07 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK aint so bad!

Originally Posted by psb182
Life isn't about the house you live in or the stuff you got,it's about the people you are with.I have a 4 bedroom in the burbs built it 2 yrs ago,5 vehicles in my driveway but I would swap it in a minute for a 2 up 2 down in Manchester surrounded by MY people and not a bunch of vultures dressed in a suit that one minute they are having you over for dinner and the next minute they are taking you to court.
Get this.....my next door neighbor sued me for 15k as he said I was pushing water towards him,last I knew was that water runs downdhill,he was out there with a video camera to boot,anyway I spent $200 talking to my lawyer and he said it will cost me probably 7k to fight it with no guarantee of winning so he said offer him 10k to drop the case.
A guy across the street,very nice guy got a letter in the mail from his next door neighbors lawyer saying his driveway was on his property,turns out it was about 4 inches on his property and about 60 feet long,we have about 3/4 acre each and this pratt needs an extra 4 inches to mow,so now the guy has to cut 4 inches of blacktop 60 feet long.
Give me a chav ANYDAY,in the states the devil is dressed in a suit and feeds you dinner
Jees that is bad. I thought UK society was in a bad way. This is why people in the likes of Peru are the happiest in the world.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ok - a few things - first, and foremost your lawyer is obviously a tit.
Second, whilst I would love to agree with you about exchanging your 5 cars for a slum in Manchester I have to ask....why the f**k do you have 5 cars, and seriously - moving back to the slums - it may sound good, but I'd give you a week before you'd had enough. Like I said - I'd love to move home but I'm not going to be a t!t in an attempt to achieve my goal.

I came from a Manchester slum and while I am definitely getting the Hell out of Oz it won't be back to where I started if I can help it.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by psb182
Give me a chav ANYDAY
Now you hooked me... I have lived among this particular breed in Liverpool, Manchester and Chester. In Liverpool a few years ago it got so bad on my small terraced street, that we had a riot van parked on it for 48 hours. In Manchester, our neighbour was burgled twice wih the chav coming through her bedroom window, climbing over her new baby's cot. In Chester, we had housing association tennants next door and opposite, who made our life a misery; the only chavs in an otherwise nice small housing estate. When we returned to the UK, we thought of Bournemouth as a place to live, as we lived there before and it was much nicer than the NW. Not so anymore. We finally found a village yet to be infested, but you only have to go one village down the road to see that they have taken over the shopping precinct. They spread like a virus. And I'm no snob - I grew up in one of the poorest towns in the NW - also now blighted by chavs. But I refuse to live in the midst of antosocial behaviour.

Somehow it has got much worse over the past 10-15 years. This breed is blighting this otherwise great country, with amazing scenery, fascinating attractions and interesting people. Just be careful what you wish for. Choose you area wisely on return - there are still some chav-free zones left if you can afford them.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Jan 20th 2007 at 9:46 am.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Now you hooked me... I have lived among this particular breed in Liverpool, Manchester and Chester. In Liverpool a few years ago it got so bad on my small terraced street, that we had a riot van parked on it for 48 hours. In Manchester, our neighbour was burgled twice wih the chav coming through her bedroom window, climbing over her new baby's cot. In Chester, we had housing association tennants next door and opposite, who made our life a misery; the only chavs in an otherwise nice small housing estate. When we returned to the UK, we thought of Bournemouth as a place to live, as we lived there before and it was much nicer than the NW. Not so anymore. We finally found a village yet to be infested, but you only have to go one village down the road to see that they have taken over the shopping precinct. They spread like a virus. And I'm no snob - I grew up in one of the poorest towns in the NW - also now blighted by chavs. But I refuse to live in the midst of antosocial behaviour.

Somehow it has got much worse over the past 10-15 years. This breed is blighting this otherwise great country, with amazing scenery, fascinating attractions and interesting people. Just be careful what you wish for. Choose you area wisely on return - there are still some chav-free zones left if you can afford them.
I'm really looking forward to going home, but I am worried about what sort of property and area we can now afford to live in. I threw a lot of cash at this move and just stepping off the property ladder in the UK for a while makes it difficult to get back in at the same level.

Whereabouts in Manchester did you live?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:00 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate to what Shoz is saying about the U.K. weather. When you have young kids and dogs it does make it harder to go out in the wind and rain.
It doesn't stop us from going out but I find I do have to motivate myself a bit more.
We come back covered in mud and although we can leave our wellies in the garage we have to clean off the dogs paws. Our car is a complete state due to muddy kids and dogs
The cold really affects my ears too and gives me ear ache so I am looking forward to warmer weather and less rain.
By the way 12 people died in Britain this week due to the storms so our weather isn't always 'mild'.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kapri
I can relate to what Shoz is saying about the U.K. weather. When you have young kids and dogs it does make it harder to go out in the wind and rain.
It doesn't stop us from going out but I find I do have to motivate myself a bit more.
We come back covered in mud and although we can leave our wellies in the garage we have to clean off the dogs paws. Our car is a complete state due to muddy kids and dogs
The cold really affects my ears too and gives me ear ache so I am looking forward to warmer weather and less rain.
By the way 12 people died in Britain this week due to the storms so our weather isn't always 'mild'.

Its all been said before but you may find the heat just as much as a damper on things as the cold... mid 30's here today and fairly high humidity... any long walk with your dogs will leave you dripping in sweat.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'm really looking forward to going home, but I am worried about what sort of property and area we can now afford to live in. I threw a lot of cash at this move and just stepping off the property ladder in the UK for a while makes it difficult to get back in at the same level.

Whereabouts in Manchester did you live?
Fallowfield. Loved the area, vibrant and close to the city, except for the chavs. As you know, there are worse areas.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:19 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Its all been said before but you may find the heat just as much as a damper on things as the cold... mid 30's here today and fairly high humidity... any long walk with your dogs will leave you dripping in sweat.
Quite right and at least you can go for long doggie walks in the UK. Here in Melbourne dogs are banned from many places
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:22 am

This is true. Our dog prefers this weather (though he is white, so now has to be bathed a lot...). Yes, anything over mid-30s severely restricts you. But we found it an irritation. Somehow for us the cloud, wind and rain is depressing. It's different, and depends which you cope with best. The thing is, we think there is depressing weather here (for us) for a longer period than there is irritating weather in Sydney.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Fallowfield. Loved the area, vibrant and close to the city, except for the chavs. As you know, there are worse areas.
ahhh... the Curry Mile. I went to school at Ducie Tech on Lloyd St and my sister used to live in Rusholme so I know the area well...

tough place to live, but as you say, vibrant with it. 40,000 students come to Manchester every year, many to Fallowfield, and the city hummed with life...

Wollongong is my closest city now and it made the local news that it may be opening its sixth nightclub... I know streets in Manchester with more clubs than that...
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:31 am
Account Closed

This is true. Our dog prefers this weather (though he is white, so now has to be bathed a lot...). Yes, anything over mid-30s severely restricts you. But we found it an irritation. Somehow for us the cloud, wind and rain is depressing. It's different, and depends which you cope with best. The thing is, we think there is depressing weather here (for us) for a longer period than there is irritating weather in Sydney.

I can't argue with that... I moved from the North West down to South West and I appreciated the better weather in just the 200 miles.. I suppose because today as been one of the really unpleasant days in Oz its fresh in the mind.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:36 am

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I can't argue with that... I moved from the North West down to South West and I appreciated the better weather in just the 200 miles.. I suppose because today as been one of the really unpleasant days in Oz its fresh in the mind.
Hi there creature - we are about to move back to the UK and I'm from the NW. Just how much nicer is the weather further down south? We'll have to stay put for a few years as our girls are at college but hope the maybe explore further down the country in the future.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Hi there creature - we are about to move back to the UK and I'm from the NW. Just how much nicer is the weather further down south? We'll have to stay put for a few years as our girls are at college but hope the maybe explore further down the country in the future.
It makes a big difference.. OK mid-Winter can still be a bit miserable, but I used to think that Summer came two weeks sooner and lasted for two weeks longer as well. We had a 20' conservatory on the back of the house and its where we had Xmas dinner every year.. and it wasn't heated.

I wasn't down in Devon or Cornwall either we are only talking about South Gloucs. If you get to the stage in life where employment stops becoming an issue then West Wales is brilliant. Its like Oz in terms of space, but its still like home.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:04 am

It makes a big difference.. OK mid-Winter can still be a bit miserable, but I used to think that Summer came two weeks sooner and lasted for two weeks longer as well. We had a 20' conservatory on the back of the house and its where we had Xmas dinner every year.. and it wasn't heated.

I wasn't down in Devon or Cornwall either we are only talking about South Gloucs. If you get to the stage in life where employment stops becoming an issue then West Wales is brilliant. Its like Oz in terms of space, but its still like home.
Thanks for that - whenever we've been further down south it has always been warmer but I really hadn't thought it would make such a big difference. I'll certainly be looking into it now. Just wish I'd done it before coming here, I'd have saved a flippin fortune
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Thanks for that - whenever we've been further down south it has always been warmer but I really hadn't thought it would make such a big difference. I'll certainly be looking into it now. Just wish I'd done it before coming here, I'd have saved a flippin fortune
Don't beat yourself up about it... we moved from Manchester to just North of Bristol.. we had 10 good years in Bristol and then thought that Oz just had to be better... Christ knows why.

I can recommend the area around Chepstow on the Welsh side of the Severn river. The English side is nicer, but more expensive... no bridge tolls to cross the Severn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.