UK aint so bad!

Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

The Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud of
Default UK aint so bad!

We have been considering emigrating to oz and have looked into it quite a lot - forums have been extremely useful but have also made me realise that the UK aint so bad! If you think it is bad where you live then maybe you need to relocate yuselves in the UK. We live in the Shropshire/Herefordshire border - beaut countryside, fab schools and extremely low crime rate. Teenagers in our village are polite and apart from normal teenage things like drinking and smoking in the park are pretty good. We think we're taxed to the hilt on salaries in the UK but in fact in oz you pay 8% more on you entire salary (no tax allowance like we all get in UK). Ok so we could have a lovely home, be mortgage free and live in the sun in oz but salaries are less, plagued by flies and lots of other downsides so if you're considering it then just because of yob culture, immigrants, tax etc in uk then maybe you need to relocate closer to home. (Not a foreigner in site where I live unless you count the brummies here on hols!). I'd rather be financially stable and cold in the Uk than penny pinching and hot in Oz but hey that's our decision! Good luck whatever you all do and enjoy life.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:26 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all
Default Re: UK aint so bad!

Originally Posted by The Buzzards
We have been considering emigrating to oz and have looked into it quite a lot - forums have been extremely useful but have also made me realise that the UK aint so bad! If you think it is bad where you live then maybe you need to relocate yuselves in the UK. We live in the Shropshire/Herefordshire border - beaut countryside, fab schools and extremely low crime rate. Teenagers in our village are polite and apart from normal teenage things like drinking and smoking in the park are pretty good. We think we're taxed to the hilt on salaries in the UK but in fact in oz you pay 8% more on you entire salary (no tax allowance like we all get in UK). Ok so we could have a lovely home, be mortgage free and live in the sun in oz but salaries are less, plagued by flies and lots of other downsides so if you're considering it then just because of yob culture, immigrants, tax etc in uk then maybe you need to relocate closer to home. (Not a foreigner in site where I live unless you count the brummies here on hols!). I'd rather be financially stable and cold in the Uk than penny pinching and hot in Oz but hey that's our decision! Good luck whatever you all do and enjoy life.
Hear, hear! I emigrated to Canada in 2005 and am now back in the UK and loving every minute of it. Yes, the UK has it's problems but so does every other country in the world. The grass isn't always greener.

Emigrating works for some and not for others, but for me the UK will always be home and the place I love.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

well at least someone is happy in their location on the forum

thanks for the good positive post...i can't wait until it's my turn to return home
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

..... We live in the Shropshire/Herefordshire border - beaut countryside, fab schools and extremely low crime rate.
My grandparents live in Herefordshire - just outside of Ledbury, near the border with both Gloucestershire and Worcestershire, and it's the same there with the beaut countryside, and they say you hardly ever see a copper except passing by in their cars and if they have a flashing blue light it's because they're late for their tea breaks back at the nick.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:29 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK has lots of great points. The biggest downfall for us, with a small child, is the weather. But the UK is an incredibly interesting country, and we don't explore this enough as natives. Still, the weather is a big one for us. And we will return to Australia even if just for that, and what it affords.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:49 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
The UK has lots of great points. The biggest downfall for us, with a small child, is the weather. But the UK is an incredibly interesting country, and we don't explore this enough as natives. Still, the weather is a big one for us. And we will return to Australia even if just for that, and what it affords.

Is your child made of sugar ??
Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
yes weather is the main thing for me. i seriuosly think if the climate was the same, id never gone in the first place!
need to have a UK Summer to remind myself of what a whole year of changing seaons is like before thinking about OZ again !

Uk is graet in lots of other ways though, It has a certain edge that Oz lacked, which is prob why i felt like id retired when i was there. Hardly cutting edge - but horses for courses, and a retirement village will be great when im older!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

The Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud ofThe Buzzards has much to be proud of

Hey havn't you heard of global warming and changing climates????? I reckon I'm on a winner here - climate getting hotter....you'll all be gutted if you emigrate then the climates change and you end up with the current UK weather! ha ha seriously you should have a quiet word with yourself if you are prepared to move to the other side of the world just for the weather!!! My 2 year old daughter loves nothing better than going out in the pooring rain to 'puddle hunt' - wouldn't get to do than in oz so often!!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Hey havn't you heard of global warming and changing climates????? I reckon I'm on a winner here - climate getting hotter....you'll all be gutted if you emigrate then the climates change and you end up with the current UK weather! ha ha seriously you should have a quiet word with yourself if you are prepared to move to the other side of the world just for the weather!!! My 2 year old daughter loves nothing better than going out in the pooring rain to 'puddle hunt' - wouldn't get to do than in oz so often!!
LOL! your'e right! In a shallow mood today LOL
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

Is your child made of sugar ??
eh?

What I mean is that the rain and wind keeps us inside now more than any time over the last 19 months, and it's driving me mad. I rarely see children outside in the UK winter. I remember from years ago that that was a blessing when it came to chav's, but with a young child it is frustrating to be housebound.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

I know hun I felt the same over xmas - hubby working and i was off with my 2 year old daughter but I made the most of it and went out puddle hunting - it was great fun but I know where you're coming from - just wonder whether better weather compensates for taking her away from family etc and also what about the days you have to stay in coz it's too hot in oz?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know hun I felt the same over xmas - hubby working and i was off with my 2 year old daughter but I made the most of it and went out puddle hunting - it was great fun but I know where you're coming from - just wonder whether better weather compensates for taking her away from family etc and also what about the days you have to stay in coz it's too hot in oz?
yes and look at this post on the thread below

A very good, eloquently put posting Louise.

I wish someone would explain what they really mean by 'outdoor life' and 'better way of life'! We've all no doubt heard it said dozens of times and, I for one am so darn sick of hearing it. The weather back home NEVER stopped us from going out, even when it snowed, which was a very rare occurence where we came from. We are 'outdoor' people. We like going for walks, not laying on a beach. We did that as teenagers and when we were first married in Tunisia, Spain, France, Portugal,Greece etc.etc. I would like our son to be able to experience what we have and more. Geographically that will be almost impossible to do, unless he earns very, very good wages when the time comes and, doesn't mind the long haul flight once a year.

We enjoyed packing up a flask of soup/coffee and a picnic and going out with family on a wintery weekend as well as the summer. We've even been known to have bbq's up at Wendover in Bucks and a game of 'rainy runouts' when the children were all small. Our nieces, nephews and son loved it.

If a 'better way of life' means a big house, pool, spa etc.. They can keep it. All it's done for me is make me miserable because we don't have our family and close friends to share it with. I long for a cosy 'home' again, no matter what size it is.

Makes you remember thats all true and just you think about it more when youre away.

gotta remember thats why were back in Blighty. Other things are worth more...
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:42 pm

My family are not an issue - we see them about twice a year. OH family a bigger issue, we see them about once a month. But not a big enough issue. The heat can be an irritation, but never depressing. On balance, I'd take Sydney weather as it allows us to get out more overall. This winter has probably been particularly bad - so much wind and rain. The cold is easier to deal with. You can't put a price on blue skies, no matter whether hot or cold.It makes such a difference to our moods.

Weather is only one issue. There are others for us, but nowhere near Daily Mail proportions. I just wish the UK were a healthier society than it is. Still, again the UK is one of the most interesting places one can live.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chance to be
. Other things are worth more...
so true...

what's the big deal about the weather in the uk anyway, we have no extremes like in other countries... far healthier in the uk than the obscene temps in oz or the usa.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
what's the big deal about the weather in the uk anyway, we have no extremes like in other countries... far healthier in the uk than the obscene temps in oz or the usa.
You aree right in that it is a very mild country. It is just the endless grey skies and low cloud cover that have an effect on some people more than others. It's almost as simple as that. Summer will be much better. Things improve no end when the clock go forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.