UK aint so bad!

Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK aint so bad!

ShozInOz - As Sandrainaus said, there may be more sunshine here which means that for those who like the hot weather (not so sure that I do anymore), there is more opportunity to go outside, but there is also more skin cancer. I think that there have been more adverts and more aggressive and graphic adverts about the risks and effects of skin cancer this summer than last, and it has really made me think about which is more important: going out in the rain and getting a bit wet and cold, or going out in the sun and getting cancer. I don't like going out at all now with my 3 year old because after only a few minutes in the sun it feels like my skin is burning.

And remember, it is winter in the UK...
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy
ShozInOz - As Sandrainaus said, there may be more sunshine here which means that for those who like the hot weather (not so sure that I do anymore), there is more opportunity to go outside, but there is also more skin cancer. I think that there have been more adverts and more aggressive and graphic adverts about the risks and effects of skin cancer this summer than last, and it has really made me think about which is more important: going out in the rain and getting a bit wet and cold, or going out in the sun and getting cancer. I don't like going out at all now with my 3 year old because after only a few minutes in the sun it feels like my skin is burning.

And remember, it is winter in the UK...
you are right but I think if you are sensible and slip slop slap your risks are drastically reduced.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:47 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
I read this in a Woolworths mag.

and I am sure most know this anyway.

Quote:Australia is known as the skin cancer capital of the world, with about half of all people who spend their life here developing some form of the disease.Quote.
and with the hole in the ozone.
Scary

So having lot's of sun really is not a good thing, not for me or my kids.

at least at home we could all wrap up warm, and go for walks.
You're right, the harmful effects of the sun are greatly under-estimated.

I found a link that suggested that ALL types of cancer have increased due to the "chemical sunscreens" that we are all encouraged to smother ourselves in. It said that putting on sunscreen caused more cancer because the chemicals in it generated "free radicals" - whatever they are! I'm no dermatologist -here's the link

http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html

Let's not forget the burnt retinas either!

Last edited by MrsB; Jan 19th 2007 at 1:57 am.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best

I found a link that suggested that ALL types of cancer have increased due to the "chemical sunscreens" that we are all encouraged to smother ourselves in. It said that putting on sunscreen caused more cancer because the chemicals in it generated "free redicals" - whatever they are! I'm no dermatologist - but I can post the link if anyone wants it!

what a delightfully happy thread this is.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I'm surprised you're so surprised...in a way. Australia was a confusing and sometimes emotional time, and we were 50/50 for so long. I was and am not not one who hated Australia, or the UK. Both have pros and cons that rack up differently depending on our focus in life. I neither have the Daily Mail mentality nor the Godzone mentality. We made the right decision to return as we would have remained in that state for too long otherwise. The difference is that we are now in the UK with a child for the first time. In my opinion, the UK is far less child friendly (and has less friendly children ), than Aus - in my view. When we returned, people's reactions to our baby breastfeeding were telling - we had no such reaction in Aus, ever. We also noticed the youth culture had somehow deteriorated, as I mentioned in my post 6 weeks in. I still think the UK is a more interesting country than Australia, but it is a much harder country to live in. But the weekends away to interesting places here, there and everywhere just do not happen as planned with young children. Last one had to be aborted at 0500 (a.m.). What seems to matter is the day to day quality of life. My OH always insisted that was better in Aus, but we gambled on the occasional life being sufficiently better to compensate. So far, it doesn't. Everything else is as we predicted, except we forgot about how much the weather here affects us. I looked at some old posts recently and found one from when I returned from a UK trip during the winter, and said "never again" after the weather (and a near fight with a local chav as soon as we entered my home town in the north-west). Amazing how we forgot.
I'm surprised you're surprised I'm surprised!!!

At least your daughter is still young and not at school - so you can come and go with more ease than we can. We've got school-age children - and it's much much harder to flit back and forth!

Make sure you enjoy that scenery and those "getaways" before coming back !!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:01 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Buzzards
We have been considering emigrating to oz and have looked into it quite a lot - forums have been extremely useful but have also made me realise that the UK aint so bad! If you think it is bad where you live then maybe you need to relocate yuselves in the UK. We live in the Shropshire/Herefordshire border - beaut countryside, fab schools and extremely low crime rate. Teenagers in our village are polite and apart from normal teenage things like drinking and smoking in the park are pretty good. We think we're taxed to the hilt on salaries in the UK but in fact in oz you pay 8% more on you entire salary (no tax allowance like we all get in UK). Ok so we could have a lovely home, be mortgage free and live in the sun in oz but salaries are less, plagued by flies and lots of other downsides so if you're considering it then just because of yob culture, immigrants, tax etc in uk then maybe you need to relocate closer to home. (Not a foreigner in site where I live unless you count the brummies here on hols!). I'd rather be financially stable and cold in the Uk than penny pinching and hot in Oz but hey that's our decision! Good luck whatever you all do and enjoy life.
Hello there, let me buy you a drink mate, you speak the gods honest truth there and i am so blooming jealous of you guys.
You don't know what a good thing you have got until it is gone. Stick to your words of wisdom, some of us don't and look whats happened to them
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=ShozInOz;4299533]I'm surprised you're so surprised...in a way.

I'm surprised too only in that an article I read recently called "An interview with....Steve, now back in the UK" which I think was written by you guys late last year seemed to suggest you were back to stay for a while and were really settled and had found all those things you were lacking in Oz. That's a pretty quick turn around! Could it be a severe case of winter blues or do you think you're over the initial excitement of being back or is the weather really that restrictive?! I took a lot of comfort from that article....!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Jessie James
I took a lot of comfort from that article....!!

You weren't the only one - I did too!!!

Mind you - we're all different - and if some people "ping-pong" - it doesn't mean we all will. I know quite a few people who have stayed home.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of

You weren't the only one - I did too!!!

Mind you - we're all different - and if some people "ping-pong" - it doesn't mean we all will. I know quite a few people who have stayed home.

Yeah, I'm trying not to be too fearful of the concept of ping-ponging as one thing I have learnt through this experience is that thinking of anything in terms of 'forever' is pretty unhelpful. But it's the speed in which some change their minds again that scares the s*** out of me! Big moves are not something that can happen overnight - they take months / years of planning and the thought of taking the time to do that only to realise it's still not right and so start the whole process again seems a very depressing existence and one that I'd prefer to avoid!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:43 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jessie James
Yeah, I'm trying not to be too fearful of the concept of ping-ponging as one thing I have learnt through this experience is that thinking of anything in terms of 'forever' is pretty unhelpful. But it's the speed in which some change their minds again that scares the s*** out of me! Big moves are not something that can happen overnight - they take months / years of planning and the thought of taking the time to do that only to realise it's still not right and so start the whole process again seems a very depressing existence and one that I'd prefer to avoid!
What do you think of Melbourne? My best mate is going there in April. She isn't coming to see me in Perth, she knows how boring it is here. But wants me to meet her there in Mel Oh yeah, like i have loads of money to throw around!
Told her it's not a bus ride away, as if!!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulrachel
What do you think of Melbourne? My best mate is going there in April. She isn't coming to see me in Perth, she knows how boring it is here. But wants me to meet her there in Mel Oh yeah, like i have loads of money to throw around!
I'm actually pretty fond of Melbourne in many ways....it certainly has more going for it than any other city I have been to in Oz. I know it's not a bus ride away but if you could find a cheap flight it's definitely worth seeing - especially if (and I don't know) you're main experience of Oz is Perth.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel

I think you should save up, look for the cheapest flight you can and go for a few days. I really do think that it will do you good.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:37 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

I found a link that suggested that ALL types of cancer have increased due to the "chemical sunscreens" that we are all encouraged to smother ourselves in. It said that putting on sunscreen caused more cancer because the chemicals in it generated "free radicals" - whatever they are! I'm no dermatologist -here's the link

http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html

I think the English weather has a lot going for it in the skin department. Since moving to Oz I have never had so many people underestimate my age and can't believe I am a mum of teenage kids, one woman came to my door and asked to speak to my mum . Still the flattery aint worth staying for . I put it down to the English weather that I don't resemble an old brown boot coz I don't buy fancy expensive skincare.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:42 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Buzzards
We have been considering emigrating to oz and have looked into it quite a lot - forums have been extremely useful but have also made me realise that the UK aint so bad! If you think it is bad where you live then maybe you need to relocate yuselves in the UK. We live in the Shropshire/Herefordshire border - beaut countryside, fab schools and extremely low crime rate. Teenagers in our village are polite and apart from normal teenage things like drinking and smoking in the park are pretty good. We think we're taxed to the hilt on salaries in the UK but in fact in oz you pay 8% more on you entire salary (no tax allowance like we all get in UK). Ok so we could have a lovely home, be mortgage free and live in the sun in oz but salaries are less, plagued by flies and lots of other downsides so if you're considering it then just because of yob culture, immigrants, tax etc in uk then maybe you need to relocate closer to home. (Not a foreigner in site where I live unless you count the brummies here on hols!). I'd rather be financially stable and cold in the Uk than penny pinching and hot in Oz but hey that's our decision! Good luck whatever you all do and enjoy life.
very true wish I had stayed and move "in house"
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by meljor
I think the English weather has a lot going for it in the skin department. Since moving to Oz I have never had so many people underestimate my age and can't believe I am a mum of teenage kids, one woman came to my door and asked to speak to my mum . Still the flattery aint worth staying for . I put it down to the English weather that I don't resemble an old brown boot coz I don't buy fancy expensive skincare.
I would agree with that too, although I don't have teenage kids my australian friends are always amazed at how peachy my skin is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.