Two years back...

Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two years back...

Two years to the date, we were in a hotel celebrating June's birthday with a pizza anticipating the next days repatriation flight back to UK.
Coincidentally we were also then following World Cup football while this week Europe football has been playing.

Being back, our thoughts are;

June is pleased to be back in UK. She has had trouble getting used to things, more so than she anticipated. On the whole she is happier being back than waiting to come back.

Me, I have had more inner turmoil accepting the way of daily life events here.
Comparing to my first two years in the US, my then employer offered me to move back to UK or stay full time in US - we eagerly wanted to stay in US. If I now had an employer offering to move me from UK back to US then I would seriously consider it - but probably wouldn't go because of June wanting to stay here.
I feel that coming to UK has been a backward step in my life, from one of optimism to pessimism, sun to gloom in my measure of life.
But I am also struggling with the after effects of a dismal job and lay-off that is not related to life in UK.

However, I will balance the above with saying that after 2 years here I am getting settled.
While I have no new friends there are a few familiar faces I chat with in the street or on the bus without getting sideways looks because of my now gone mid-Atlantic accent.
Entering retirement I am learning to appreciated not having an occupation or social colleagues. I suspect if I had gone straight into retirement upon moving back it may have been easier on me.
We are finding a few establishments to go out to that offer quality yet robust food, opposed to either poor quality with boiled to death veggies vs. prissy so-called-gourmet trivialities.
My saving grace, June's too, has been our close access to the countryside for long walks 2 or 3 times a week. Add to that our trips in UK and Europe for interest and diversity and we are find relaxation.

With continued effort I can foresee a gradual return to a normal life.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:06 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years back...

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I feel that coming to UK has been a backward step in my life, from one of optimism to pessimism, sun to gloom in my measure of life.
But I am also struggling with the after effects of a dismal job and lay-off that is not related to life in UK.
Do you think some of your perceptions of negativity are connected to your own work experiences and the layoff?

I ask because I honestly have not found being back negative in any way, although I expected that. And because I'm much happier in myself, everything seems imbued with more positivity than America, not less.

Makes me wonder if all our opinions on any country aren't really a reflection of our own inner state and nothing to do with external realities.

Not saying that's the case though - just genuinely interested in your opinion.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow John, I cant believe it is two years for you... I am happy to read June is happier and settled now. I hope for you things get better, do you have contact with any of your friends from before your move to US. you could probably do with a pal to go for a pint with or to watch a football match.
Good Luck I hope it gets better for you.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Wow John, I cant believe it is two years for you... I am happy to read June is happier and settled now. I hope for you things get better, do you have contact with any of your friends from before your move to US. you could probably do with a pal to go for a pint with or to watch a football match.
Good Luck I hope it gets better for you.
Hi, yes, two years has flown by.

I think you are right about needing a pal. I never been one to hang out with the guys but maybe it is a developing need now that I do not have contact through work.
I look happy enough in my photos on trips so I probably need more fun on a daily basis.

On the friends front, I have two pre-US long time friends that I stay in touch with although they are 3 and 6 hours drive away. One in Southampton I phone monthly (he says I sound happier now than I did when I had that job here). We have visited both and are planning another trip in Aug to the one in Devon.

June and I do most things as a couple and the people we know around here are similar.
We go to a monthly CAMRA social meet and I am involved low key with running a local Society. I would do more volunteer work - I used to volunteer teach literacy and also English as 2nd language - but, and maybe rather guiltily, I am enjoying having few commitments.

Now that I have my days free, about once a week I make a point to enjoy casual chats in town pubs.

All is not lost. It is a case of figuring out how to fit into this seemingly totally new way of life.

Thanks for caring.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Do you think some of your perceptions of negativity are connected to your own work experiences and the layoff?

I ask because I honestly have not found being back negative in any way, although I expected that. And because I'm much happier in myself, everything seems imbued with more positivity than America, not less.

Makes me wonder if all our opinions on any country aren't really a reflection of our own inner state and nothing to do with external realities.

Not saying that's the case though - just genuinely interested in your opinion.
It is a mixed picture and my happy / grumpy cycle is long and slow.

Certainly some of us view our world location through our own inner Happy-or-Grumpy filter.

For me, the part of the US I was in was a very positive experience . with insignificant negatives.

Since coming back, this part of the UK has realised some of the mis-givings I had about coming back (or am I just recalling the negativities of the past) but also there are sufficient more good aspects as reason to stay in UK

I think relocation to elsewhere in UK could be a positive step even though we have everything we need here.

My work was in Germany and I disliked the company culture but visiting Germany was a good experience and I shall visit for holidays.

Then again, maybe I am happy being just a grumpy old man