Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Transferring Money US to UK

Transferring Money US to UK

Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:17 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring Money US to UK

Hi

I'm not planning on returning to the UK but I thought you guys may have the answer to my questions.

How can I send money back to the UK? Moreover, how many different options do I have? How many suggestions do you have?

I'm looking at sending around $1000.

Any responses would be appreciated.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring Money US to UK

There's a few good threads already, mostly going the otherway in the US section, but same principles...

hifx.com
xe.com

Those have both been recommended....there's always paypal to swing the money around if it's not a regular thing....
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:11 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a few good threads already, mostly going the otherway in the US section, but same principles...

hifx.com
xe.com

Those have both been recommended....there's always paypal to swing the money around if it's not a regular thing....
Thanks. I saw the thread but couldn't find anything going this way. xe.com is a possibility. hifx.com was recommended too.

Just wondered if anyone in this forum had any ideas.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

well other than those sites, paypal, and perhaps a direct bank wire transfer, or western union wire...can't think of anything else really...
Old Feb 13th 2005, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob
well other than those sites, paypal, and perhaps a direct bank wire transfer, or western union wire...can't think of anything else really...
I move money every month and I pay no fees at all! My UK bank is Barclays, who are partnered with Bank of America so I set up an account at bank of america and deposit money there. Then I gave my parents the BOA atm card (& PIN) and they withdraw the cash at a Barclays ATM and then just pay it into my account. Paypal was too slow and XE seemed a pain in the arse to set up!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by immunise
... Paypal was too slow and XE seemed a pain in the arse to set up!
that's true about paypal, unless you pay for it...sod that
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:52 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by immunise
I move money every month and I pay no fees at all! My UK bank is Barclays, who are partnered with Bank of America so I set up an account at bank of america and deposit money there. Then I gave my parents the BOA atm card (& PIN) and they withdraw the cash at a Barclays ATM and then just pay it into my account. Paypal was too slow and XE seemed a pain in the arse to set up!
That sounds interesting. What type of account do you have with Barclay's? I'm just wondering if I have to have a UK address to open a checking account. Seem to remember they got a lot stricter a while back?

Great idea though. Thanks. I looked at xe.com and it does seem a bit of a hassle.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
.... I looked at xe.com and it does seem a bit of a hassle.
Not really, no more so than opening an on-line bank account, and once it's done it's done.

BTW, beware of the overseas ATM fees - American banks typically charge foreign ATM withdrawals a hefty fee (as do British banks for that matter).
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski

BTW, beware of the overseas ATM fees - American banks typically charge foreign ATM withdrawals a hefty fee (as do British banks for that matter).
That's true, but that is the reason I chose BOA as they charge no fees if the money is withdrawn at a Barclays ATM, which is fine seeing as that is where my UK account is....
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
That sounds interesting. What type of account do you have with Barclay's? I'm just wondering if I have to have a UK address to open a checking account. Seem to remember they got a lot stricter a while back?

Great idea though. Thanks. I looked at xe.com and it does seem a bit of a hassle.

I have just a standard Barclays Current a/c (with online banking too). I have had it for years and I never closed it as I knew my time in the US was not permanent. Barclays also have an offshore account option, at a cost though http://www.wealth.barclays.com/BRC1/...6&target=_self
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Pulaski]Not really, no more so than opening an on-line bank account, and once it's done it's done.
QUOTE]

I was confused by XE, it seems they just wire the money to my UK account!?

What actually happens with them and what's the cost? My UK bank charges £30 for an incoming wire....**** that!