Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Transfer of Residence - List of Goods

Transfer of Residence - List of Goods

Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

iAteAllThePeanutButter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer of Residence - List of Goods

I am looking for some guidance on the requested list of goods that needs to be submitted with the Transfer of Residence (TOR) form.

For those that have been through this process, can you explain what your lists looked like? Currently, I have listed things like "drinkware", "pots/pans", "cosmetics - non liquid", "home decor". Should I be more specific? E.g. "3 mugs, 2 travel mugs", "Dutch oven, frying pan, saucepan". Also, was your list just one long list of goods, or was it categorized?

I've looked for some kind of template online but am not finding anything. Just wondering how much detail I need to go into.

Any input much appreciated!
Old Sep 1st 2017, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer of Residence - List of Goods

I sent them the inventory that the shippers provided after they had packed everything.
1 box crockery, 2 boxes bedding etc etc
Old Sep 1st 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
I sent them the inventory that the shippers provided after they had packed everything.
Just talking with my son this week and this is exactly what he plans to do. The shippers come on the 26th so he is quite excited about the move now.

He did make a call on the ToR completion for what to put for proof of address and NI number. We had to send him a signed letter stating that we lived in the house and he had our permission to stay with us. For NI number and employer details he was to.d to just write in that he would look for work on arrival.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

iAteAllThePeanutButter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Ah, I should have mentioned that I'm packing my own stuff.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:38 am
Just Joined

JohnnyTravel is an unknown quantity at this point

My shippers needed the URN before they would move my items, and wouldn't produce a packing list/inventory until they had packed. So even though they were doing the packing, I had to do my own list, and couldn't find any guidance anywhere, so I just winged it in Excel.

I didn't categorise, just provided a numbered list with columns Item, Description, and Value (in GBP). Descriptions were "Cooking Pots and Pans" and "Cooking Utensils" - not how many or what sort. "Cutlery" and "Crockery" were listed, not down to individual items.

I totally the amount as "Total Value for Customs Purposes Only", and noted that they were calculated using the HMRC exchange rate, and my list ran to 3 pages.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Montysaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnnyTravel
My shippers needed the URN before they would move my items, and wouldn't produce a packing list/inventory until they had packed. So even though they were doing the packing, I had to do my own list, and couldn't find any guidance anywhere, so I just winged it in Excel.

I didn't categorise, just provided a numbered list with columns Item, Description, and Value (in GBP). Descriptions were "Cooking Pots and Pans" and "Cooking Utensils" - not how many or what sort. "Cutlery" and "Crockery" were listed, not down to individual items.

I totally the amount as "Total Value for Customs Purposes Only", and noted that they were calculated using the HMRC exchange rate, and my list ran to 3 pages.
Do you know if they found this acceptable?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Montysaurus
Do you know if they found this acceptable?
Yes, got my URN in two weeks - I sent completed TOR01 Form, Passport scans of all the family, purchase agreement for where we live now, purchase agreement for where we are moving to in UK, Bank Statements and Utility Bills showing activity over a year, purchase receipts for some of the larger items being shipped, and two copies of the itemised packing list valued for customs purposes in GBP using the HMRC July rate).
Old Sep 12th 2017, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, got my URN in two weeks - I sent completed TOR01 Form, Passport scans of all the family, purchase agreement for where we live now, purchase agreement for where we are moving to in UK, Bank Statements and Utility Bills showing activity over a year, purchase receipts for some of the larger items being shipped, and two copies of the itemised packing list valued for customs purposes in GBP using the HMRC July rate).
Good news

Thanks for the update.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Montysaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. What made you feel that you needed to show bank statements and utility bills?

We've been here for just under a decade. We are bring almost nothing back with us that doesn't have sentimental value and in fact most of those items we brought over with us. Not a receipt in sight! Hope thats not going to be a problem.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you. What made you feel that you needed to show bank statements and utility bills?

We've been here for just under a decade. We are bring almost nothing back with us that doesn't have sentimental value and in fact most of those items we brought over with us. Not a receipt in sight! Hope thats not going to be a problem.
Our son called them to ask what he should do as he had no proof of lease or ownership of the house he is moving to - ours. He was told they would accept a signed letter from us that we owned the place and had invited him to stay with us. I also included utilities bills to prove we lived there.

He has no UK bank account but was not asked for that, and no NI number but was told to simply put "will apply for one on arrival".

He leaves on the 27th of this month.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iAteAllThePeanutButter
Ah, I should have mentioned that I'm packing my own stuff.
Hi, I simply typed up a list of items per each type of room. Kitchen. LR, DR etc. No issues, received ToR in 30days
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:08 am
Just Joined

I included bank statements and utility bills to establish that we have lived here over 12 months.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Breefinns is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I'm unsure of how to mock up a list of goods for my own situation. My husband and are only bringing whatever personal belongings will fit into 4 large suitcases (2 suitcases each). This will include clothing, shoes, toiletries, cosmetics, and only a few household items (2 coffee cups of sentimental value, 1 blanket, and 1 painting that was given to me). No additional items or belongings will be shipped to us at a later time.

Basically, the only reason we're even applying for TOR is in order to bring our dog with us. The TOR number is required for both pre-flight and arrival in the UK.

How should we list our other items on this "list of goods"? Can I simply generalize "clothing", "shoes", "cosmetics", etc? And if so, I'm not really sure how to put an overall value on that, with so many different types of apparel. And for my dog, who was bought in 2008, do I "value" him at whatever was paid at that time?

Lastly, I'm aware that TOR will not be granted if you've lived in the EU/UK within 12 months of application. My husband and I didn't necessarily "live" there, but we spent 2 months in the UK visiting his family from June-August 2018, and we'll be sending this TOR application within the next week so we're ready to travel in April. Will this affect us at all?
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Breefinns
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I'm unsure of how to mock up a list of goods for my own situation. My husband and are only bringing whatever personal belongings will fit into 4 large suitcases (2 suitcases each). This will include clothing, shoes, toiletries, cosmetics, and only a few household items (2 coffee cups of sentimental value, 1 blanket, and 1 painting that was given to me). No additional items or belongings will be shipped to us at a later time.

Basically, the only reason we're even applying for TOR is in order to bring our dog with us. The TOR number is required for both pre-flight and arrival in the UK.

How should we list our other items on this "list of goods"? Can I simply generalize "clothing", "shoes", "cosmetics", etc? And if so, I'm not really sure how to put an overall value on that, with so many different types of apparel. And for my dog, who was bought in 2008, do I "value" him at whatever was paid at that time?

Lastly, I'm aware that TOR will not be granted if you've lived in the EU/UK within 12 months of application. My husband and I didn't necessarily "live" there, but we spent 2 months in the UK visiting his family from June-August 2018, and we'll be sending this TOR application within the next week so we're ready to travel in April. Will this affect us at all?
Your 2 month residence should not affect the ToR we used the ToR for our dog who left 2 months ago. We also just sent somethings via UPS such as personal documents and CDs, photos with the same URN #. I am making sure that the contents are listed as “USED “
Old Feb 25th 2019, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Breefinns is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea about listing as "used"! Thanks for that tip. And you're right about the 2-month visit to the UK last summer. I actually spoke with someone at HMRC just this morning and they confirmed that UK visits are fine and will not affect the TOR application.

I also asked them about our list of personal belongings. They did confirm that everything needed to be itemized (no generalizing) and that a value needs to be placed on each item in pounds. They basically said to put down how much it would cost to replace each item and use that as its "value". They also recommended overstating quantities. For example, if you claim 20 books on the form, yet they find 30, only 20 books will be accepted. Pretty strict! But it is what it is.

Thanks again for your input, Sammy2018.