Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Transfer of Pension and Tax liability?

Transfer of Pension and Tax liability?

Old Nov 8th 2021, 9:41 am
Just Joined

kstokell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer of Pension and Tax liability?

Hi All,

I will be returning to the UK shortly with my wife who is Dutch. As I have been living in the Netherlands for the vast majority of my working life I have little or no entitlement to a UK pension. However both my wife and I currently live on our pensions from the Dutch state and our ex employers, these are taxed at source and the resulting tax-deducted amounts are paid into our NL bank account.

My aim is to get these pensions paid out and taxed only in the UK and my questions are:

- just prior to our move I assume I need to contact our local pension providers and have the pre-tax pension (no Dutch income tax) amounts transferred to our UK bank account?
- secondly I will need to inform the UK tax department to enable the payment of UK tax on this income once we are in the UK?

Has anyone moved back to the UK whilst receiving an overseas monthly pension income (not block sum), and if so can they give me a step by step guide as to how they managed to get this transferred to the UK?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old Nov 8th 2021, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer of Pension and Tax liability?

Yes, I have moved back to the UK while receiving a foreign pension. In my case it was the USA and I left the pension paying into my US bank which I have kept open. I don't believe you can have HMRC deduct taxes at source through PAYE so you will need to file a self assessment each year to declare and pay HMRC tax on the pension (it is easy to do). I maintain a spreadsheet to record the monthly payments and in my case convert the payments to £s using the monthly HMRC published exchange rates. If you can arrange for your pension provider to pay your pension directly into your UK bank that will make things much easier for you.

I expect you will be able to inform the country you are leaving to stop taking taxes. This worked for me when I was receiving a UK private pension while living in the USA and I informed HMRC that I was no longer tax resident.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kstokell
As I have been living in the Netherlands for the vast majority of my working life I have little or no entitlement to a UK pension.
Just for the sake of anybody reading, these two things aren't mutually exclusive. Expats can pay in to the UK pension system from abroad with voluntary NI contributions, it's usually a very small amount (currently £3.05 a week), so a great investment in return for a full pension (currently £179.60 a week).

Not sure how old you are or how many years entitlement you have got, but if you can, it may be worth looking at making voluntary contributions now, you can pay for the previous 6 years to get your entitlement up.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 10:42 am
Just Joined

kstokell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just for the sake of anybody reading, these two things aren't mutually exclusive. Expats can pay in to the UK pension system from abroad with voluntary NI contributions, it's usually a very small amount (currently £3.05 a week), so a great investment in return for a full pension (currently £179.60 a week).

Not sure how old you are or how many years entitlement you have got, but if you can, it may be worth looking at making voluntary contributions now, you can pay for the previous 6 years to get your entitlement up.
Good to know for a lot of people but I don't think in my case it will make a lot of difference. I'm 69, and worked the first ten years of my life in the UK (1970 > 1980) and then the following forty years in the Netherlands (1980 > 2019). I have written to the NI in the UK to get my NI number (I no longer have it) and an update on my NI status. I'll let you know how it works out!
Old Nov 10th 2021, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kstokell
Good to know for a lot of people but I don't think in my case it will make a lot of difference. I'm 69, and worked the first ten years of my life in the UK (1970 > 1980) and then the following forty years in the Netherlands (1980 > 2019). I have written to the NI in the UK to get my NI number (I no longer have it) and an update on my NI status. I'll let you know how it works out!
Do let us know. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised to find we had more years than those worked because not working because of full time education, like being in college, gives a full year. We both also had part time jobs at age 16 and 17 and they both counted as full year contributions. I was a lab assistant while doing A Levels, which involved staying behind each day after school for an hour or so to refill the bottles of acid and reagents etc in the chemistry lab for the following days classes. My wife worked on a market stall on weekends during her last 2 years at school doing her A Levels
Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I am paying UK voluntary pension contributions and they are charging around £70 per month - am I missing something £3.05 seems very low to me?
Old Nov 11th 2021, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
I am paying UK voluntary pension contributions and they are charging around £70 per month - am I missing something £3.05 seems very low to me?
Class 2 contributions are £3.05/week and apply to certain groups of folks in the UK and those working overseas. Have a browse through the Gov.UK site to see if you qualify.
https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance

Overview

You make Class 2 National Insurance contributions if you’re self-employed to qualify for benefits like the State Pension.

Most people pay the contributions as part of their Self Assessment tax bill.

You cannot currently pay by cheque through the post because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you do not pay through Self Assessment

You do not pay through Self Assessment if you’re any of the following:
  • an examiner, moderator, invigilator or person who set exam questions
  • running a businesses involving land or property
  • a minister of religion who does not receive a salary or stipend
  • living abroad and paying voluntary Class 2 contributions
  • a person who makes investments - but not as a business and without getting a fee or commission
  • a non-UK resident who’s self-employed in the UK
  • working abroad
Old Nov 13th 2021, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute

I was living here in the States for about 15 years when the UK pension folks contacted me re paying voluntary NI contributions & if I wanted to voluntarily pay that I owed over 3000 pounds & going forward it would be 3 or 400 hundred pounds annually. I paid the arrears & then continued to contribute annually thereafter, eventually they sent a Cheque back to me saying that I was fully up to date with my contributions & needn’t pay anymore. Not sure when I can start receiving my British pension on my upcoming return to England, anybody know?
Old Nov 13th 2021, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
I was living here in the States for about 15 years when the UK pension folks contacted me re paying voluntary NI contributions & if I wanted to voluntarily pay that I owed over 3000 pounds & going forward it would be 3 or 400 hundred pounds annually. I paid the arrears & then continued to contribute annually thereafter, eventually they sent a Cheque back to me saying that I was fully up to date with my contributions & needn’t pay anymore. Not sure when I can start receiving my British pension on my upcoming return to England, anybody know?
You check here, simply enter your date of birth. I was born 1955 and OAP age is 66.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age

Old Nov 13th 2021, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate that link durhamlad, I shall look into it, thanks.