Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How access Barclays from abroad?

How access Barclays from abroad?

Old Oct 31st 2021, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all
Default How access Barclays from abroad?

Basically I have some money left on my UK Barclays account, I never bothered to open the online version or whatever is called on this account, never asked login credentials or downloaded any app for that matter. Now I would like to retrieve some money if possible as I need it, or at least check the balance, and I was wondering what's the best way to go about it, take into account I live abroad, I never told them I left the UK, and my corresponde has always been received by a friend (they consider this address to be my current residence), who's currently not in a great situation so I would like to avoid burdening her further with my banking issues, I can get a UK phone number if needed for verification purposes through other friends. Any idea on how their login process works? It would be ideal if I could access the account without going to the UK, especially with all these test and quarantine hassle.
Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How access Barclays from abroad?

Easy, just follow the instructions in the link I have provided. Make sure you use the UK address you have provided as you should be resident in the UK, otherwise you are not eligible to hold a UK account. You will need a mobile number as this is required for verification when logging into all UK accounts. They are keen for clients to move online so it should not be an issue. If it is a savings account without a card then you may need to phone them.

How do I register for Online Banking? | Barclays

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Nov 2nd 2021 at 11:43 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
Easy, just follow the instructions in the link I have provided. Make sure you use the UK address you have provided as you should be resident in the UK, otherwise you are not eligible to hold a UK account. You will need a mobile number as this is required for verification when logging into all UK accounts. They are keen for clients to move online so it should not be an issue. If it is a savings account without a card then you may need to phone them.

How do I register for Online Banking? | Barclays
I’d be interested to know if Barclays accept a foreign mobile number for verification purposes. Seem to remember someone on this forum had difficulty accessing their UK bank account because the bank would only call a UK mobile for verification.
Don’t know if this is an option with Barclays but the Nationwide for example lets you log in using a card reader. So no mobiles involved.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Hi, I saw that link but amongst the requirements it says you need a banking card, which I don't think I have anymore

For the UK number I can ask a relative or friend in the UK so that won't be an issue.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 7:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
Hi, I saw that link but amongst the requirements it says you need a banking card, which I don't think I have anymore

For the UK number I can ask a relative or friend in the UK so that won't be an issue.
The relative or friend would have to pretend to be you, which could be more than a little risky.

Old Nov 3rd 2021, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ouch, I would have thought verification was via text/code not phone call
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ameliapond

I would phone them and ask them to send a new card to the UK address. Your friend in the UK does not have to pretend to be you as you can quite legally have a UK bank account if you live overseas as long as you can provide a UK address especially as you opened the account when you where in the UK so the bank could verify your identity. This issue was recently highlighted over the pending closure of accounts for Brits abroad after Brexit. This was one of many articles written at the time.

Can I Keep My British Bank Account Open When I Move Abroad? (algarvedailynews.com)

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Nov 3rd 2021 at 8:33 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I’d be interested to know if Barclays accept a foreign mobile number for verification purposes. Seem to remember someone on this forum had difficulty accessing their UK bank account because the bank would only call a UK mobile for verification.
Don’t know if this is an option with Barclays but the Nationwide for example lets you log in using a card reader. So no mobiles involved.
No, foreign numbers are not possible as you need to enter a UK international access code. Probably the best thing to do is buy one of these cheap £10 PAYG UK phones specifically for the purpose (such as with Tesco Mobile).

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Nov 3rd 2021 at 8:35 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 6:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately Barclays have found yet another way to limit use of a Barclays Bank account by a US person. I’m currently in Britain, and I successfully opened a Barclays account. I’m able to login to my account, to see the balance, transactions etc., but I cannot use the areas where you initiate & manage payees & payments, and where you see your list of direct debits. The reason, apparently, is that my mobile devices (iPad and iPhone) are registered in the US. That’s where I bought them and set them up.

Further, Barclays state that you cannot login to your account at all from the US.

The above problems are related to accessing the account via the internet browser. So, I attempted to download the Barclays app, as Barclays seem to be pushing that as the best way to manage the account. I simply got the message “Sorry, the Barclays app is not available in your area.” Again, I’m in Britain, but I think it must have detected that my iPad was American so rejected on that basis.

As for the further level of security, sending you a code to enter via mobile phone. Barclays have the option of a pinsentry machine. This is a little handheld device in which you insert your debit card, authenticate with pin, and it generates a code which you use to login online.

Last edited by robin1234; Nov 3rd 2021 at 6:23 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Unfortunately Barclays have found yet another way to limit use of a Barclays Bank account by a US person. I’m currently in Britain, and I successfully opened a Barclays account. I’m able to login to my account, to see the balance, transactions etc., but I cannot use the areas where you initiate & manage payees & payments, and where you see your list of direct debits. The reason, apparently, is that my mobile devices (iPad and iPhone) are registered in the US. That’s where I bought them and set them up.

Further, Barclays state that you cannot login to your account at all from the US.

The above problems are related to accessing the account via the internet browser. So, I attempted to download the Barclays app, as Barclays seem to be pushing that as the best way to manage the account. I simply got the message “Sorry, the Barclays app is not available in your area.” Again, I’m in Britain, but I think it must have detected that my iPad was American so rejected on that basis.

As for the further level of security, sending you a code to enter via mobile phone. Barclays have the option of a pinsentry machine. This is a little handheld device in which you insert your debit card, authenticate with pin, and it generates a code which you use to login online.
When we arrived in England with our US iPads and iPhones we had to switch from the US Apple store to the UK Apple store to get apps such as UK banking apps. Even when they are free, UK only apps can’t be accessed if the Apple device is still registered to the Apple US store.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 7:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
When we arrived in England with our US iPads and iPhones we had to switch from the US Apple store to the UK Apple store to get apps such as UK banking apps. Even when they are free, UK only apps can’t be accessed if the Apple device is still registered to the Apple US store.
OK, that’s very useful, thanks. If that is all I have to do, I could try that.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Barclays more than likely want you to open their international bank account for which they charge a monthly fee. It would be interesting to see if you could access this site on your iPad and iPhone.

Here when you're there | International Banking | Barclays
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 8:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

OK, that’s very useful, thanks. If that is all I have to do, I could try that.
I made the change you suggested, and then I was able to download the app. And, having established my credentials, the app is fully functional & works. So, thanks again. So a lot of what I said in my earlier post may not be quite right, but the general point stands - banking is difficult & full of pitfalls, unlike what their glib marketing would have you believe. And if you’re a US Person, there are even more pitfalls.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I made the change you suggested, and then I was able to download the app. And, having established my credentials, the app is fully functional & works. So, thanks again. So a lot of what I said in my earlier post may not be quite right, but the general point stands - banking is difficult & full of pitfalls, unlike what their glib marketing would have you believe. And if you’re a US Person, there are even more pitfalls.
Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

I have similar issues with US apps but I still maintain a US credit card and on the few occasions I need to update a US store app then I will switch to the US store, update the app and then switch back. It is a bit of a pain but it works.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 8:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

I have similar issues with US apps but I still maintain a US credit card and on the few occasions I need to update a US store app then I will switch to the US store, update the app and then switch back. It is a bit of a pain but it works.
My thing is that, even though I’ve been an iPad user for many years (almost since they were first introduced,) I simply don’t use apps unless there’s no alternative. All banking, financial stuff and related things, I use the browser site if at all possible. I realise more and more institutions (Fidelity being an example) are always prompting customers to use the app, and no doubt will eventually stop supporting certain functions in the browser.

Kindle app is pretty much the only app I use on a regular basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.