Reload this Page >

Transfer of Cash back to UK bank account

Transfer of Cash back to UK bank account

Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Easto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer of Cash back to UK bank account

Hey all,

I've just started as a professor at a University in the US (been here for 2 weeks now). The University are recompensing me for my moving costs (flights and shipping of belongings etc) which I paid up front from my UK bank account and UK credit card (mastercard). I've opened an account with 'Bank of the West' (My choices were fairly limited) and have asked about this in my branch, but they have been pretty useless! I have internet banking with my US account but it will not let me transfer money to a UK account or credit card. The only option is a wire transfer, but at 30 bucks a time, this seems rather pricey.

So, basically I am wondering the best way to pay money into my UK bank account from my US account. I have a load of cheques, so thought I could sign a few blank cheques and leave them with my parents when I'm back home in a couple of weeks and they could make them out to me and pay them into my account as and when I require them. Is this possible? Will there be massive charges? Again, I have asked all this in my branch but the wee women didn't have a clue

Is there any other simpler options?

Any helpful advice appreciated
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:08 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Transfer of Cash back to UK bank account

Many of us on these boards (including myself) send funds back to the UK via

http://www.xetrade.com also go to http://www.xe.com for the exchange rates.

You have to sign up with them and they have a quick chat with you to check that you're not an international money launderer, then a few days later when the approval has gone through you can then send money directly to your UK account. The exchange rate is usually much better than wiring via the bank and you're not paying those expensive 'wire' fees.

I've never done it myself but I think that some expats have a Paypal account in the US as well as in the UK and transfer money between their accounts.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:58 am
Just Joined

Easto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfer of Cash back to UK bank account

Two fantastic suggestions, thanks Englishmum! No idea why I didn't think of the paypal option sooner!