Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What were your expectations ?

What were your expectations ?

Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold
Default What were your expectations ?

I'm intested to know what you expected prior to moving overseas and how you expectations have been dashed.

I understand family can be a big draw back to the UK, but apart from that what is it that's really got/gets you down enough to want to return.

Many thanks
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What were your expectations ?

For me it's familiarity. In the UK I had a whole life time of experience and knowledge to draw on. Here I feel completely lost half the time, I just don't know anything anymore.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:53 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is a bit smart arse but my expectations of Kuwait have been exceeded - particularly in terms of access to other places for short visits and the much more laid back lifestyle. Good access means trips back to UK are fast and reasonably cheap.

What is also different is no booze but that is not a problem and to some extent a lack of freedom. Ramadan in Kuwait is great for a Westerner - short days and brilliant food! The money is very goos indeed.

What is bad is the isolation - you are on your own and you have to make do with that. The working culture needs a significant adjustment and some realisations and home truths.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:18 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Santa
I'm intested to know what you expected prior to moving overseas and how you expectations have been dashed.

I understand family can be a big draw back to the UK, but apart from that what is it that's really got/gets you down enough to want to return.

Many thanks
Part of what made us come to Perth is the fact that the cost of living was cheaper, crime was less, and housing more affordable. Now we are returning as cost of living is getting ridiculous, crime is on the up and housing is out of reach. We figure if we are going to live somewhere where its $$$$ and crime, then we might as well be in the UK with family around us! Plus the small mindedness of Perth people has really gotten me down. No interest in changing anything.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't say Aus gets me down, have had mostly an okay time here, I just prefer the UK, nothing wrong with that!

I have been here long enough (11 years) to know how stuff works here so for me it's not that, I am used to the tv and the shopping, and the driving etc etc.

On balance I have a similar life here (maybe work slightly longer hours and definitely commute longer every day from a larger house) to what I would have in the UK. I'm an accountant who wears a suit and works in an office - same here as in the UK.

So I would rather live in the UK and have my holidays in Europe than live in Australia, miss my family and friends and have a holiday every few years in the UK.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Pro's and Con's for both UK and OZ

If we go home will be because:

- We have a fab school lined up in UK for my kids, not found anything here that I yet feel 100% comfortable with.

- Less holidays and the feeling of needing to use these to see rele's in UK.

- Miss the ease of popping over to France and very different cultures available cheaply on your doorstep. With loads of annual leave to go there.

- Work environment limited in OZ, resistance to change, bearaucratic and limited challenges.

- Australia's strong alignment to all things American.

- Insularity. Limited information re worldwide issues. A feeling of isolation.

- the ease of letting you little uns out in the garden without the fear that they won't get eaten alive or attacked by birds, ants, snakes, spiders etc. (Exaggerated but you get the jist)

- Cold, wintery days, wrapped up warm, feeling the cold enter your lungs.

- the Lake District Fells

- If it weren't for the friends I have made, the feeling that i will get bored with Brisbane.

- As a brit, the feeling of always having to be outside as its sunny. I would like to sit inside and feel ok about that! (Bizarre)

So far I'm happy but I'm still adjusting.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
- As a brit, the feeling of always having to be outside as its sunny. I would like to sit inside and feel ok about that! (Bizarre)
That's not bizarre. That's very normal. I think we'd been here a year before I decided I wasn't going to miss summer if I stayed indoors one or two days It's in our psychy to 'make the most of the weather'.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's not bizarre. That's very normal. I think we'd been here a year before I decided I wasn't going to miss summer if I stayed indoors one or two days It's in our psychy to 'make the most of the weather'.
I would agree. After 8 years I don't sit out that often anymore! Besides I have too many friends my age (35) or younger who've had skin cancers cut out so I try not to get too much exposure.

Last edited by rabsody; Sep 25th 2008 at 12:42 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:13 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
For me it's familiarity. In the UK I had a whole life time of experience and knowledge to draw on. Here I feel completely lost half the time, I just don't know anything anymore.
The place we live in in the US hasn't lived up to expectations. I'm sure there are other places here that might have been more what we were looking for.

I agree about the familiarity thing. Take Thanksgiving...I know what it is, I know what to cook but it doesn't mean anything. We have no family memories and traditions to make the day special. Now Boxing Day....just the words bring back images, smells, tastes right back to my childhood.

My OH had been offered a job over here about 11 years ago and we couldn't take it because we had family commitments. I think we always felt we had missed an opportunity and as the years went by our USA rose tinteds became even more tinted. Then the opportunity popped up again, our family situation was different and there was no stopping us.
I think, though, that by that time our expectations were probably unrealistically high.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:09 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=

I agree about the familiarity thing. Take Thanksgiving...I know what it is, I know what to cook but it doesn't mean anything. We have no family memories and traditions to make the day special. Now Boxing Day....just the words bring back images, smells, tastes right back to my childhood.

.[/QUOTE]

For me I think that this just sums up the whole issue of so many cultural adaptions that I have engaged over the years. This just encapsulates it brilliantly!!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Confused1 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=

.[/QUOTE]

We consdier not having childhood memories as an opportunity to make new traditions for our children. Though they are only still young, they look forward to the things we do every year - just as I did when I was a kid. Just because these things don't have any real meaning for you, they will to your children, and in time, that provides you with memories too. We now look forward to Thanksgiving as much as the kids do - it will always have very special memories to me, of our first Thanksgiving with our new children, in our new home.
Life is what you make of it - live for now and the future, make your own past.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
That is so true. It took me nearly four years to get a doctor as I just didn't know how to get one.

The other thing that bugs the hell out of me, is that everyone thinks that they are the first to comment on my accent and the way that I say tomatoes, project, coffee, etc.

The fact that I only get 2 weeks holiday a year and your made to feel that you shouldn't really be taking them.

The awful TV, how many CSI, Law and Order, Friends, Seinfeld, etc, repeats and knockoffs can I watch.

Not being able to watch the cricket, darts, etc. Purposely left out rugby, too traumatised by having to play it during PE, when there was snow on the ground and not being able to wear tracksuits. I was 12 at the time.

Having to drive 10 miles to buy lamb, not having a pork pie or a decent cornish pasty, awful cakes and puddings..

Spending most of Saturday and Sunday mornings on the phone calls to the folks back in the UK and then realising it will be a week before you hear from them again.

The list goes on...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:35 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confused1
We consdier not having childhood memories as an opportunity to make new traditions for our children. Though they are only still young, they look forward to the things we do every year - just as I did when I was a kid. Just because these things don't have any real meaning for you, they will to your children, and in time, that provides you with memories too. We now look forward to Thanksgiving as much as the kids do - it will always have very special memories to me, of our first Thanksgiving with our new children, in our new home.
Life is what you make of it - live for now and the future, make your own past.
My children were older when we moved here (two were teenagers) and so they have a lot of memories of UK traditions.
We have started new traditions and annual events...hay rides in the Autumn, Prom/Sadies/Homecoming parties,the block party etc. but I still miss that feeling of belonging. However many pumpkin pies I bake for Thanksgiving it just isn't the same.

Perhaps it is different for you as your children are much younger and I think that is when you build a lot of those "special occasion" memories.

There is no future and no past...there is only the now.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:11 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I would agree. After 8 years I don't sit out that often anymore! Besides I have too many friends my age (35) or younger who've had skin cancers cut out so I try not to get too much exposure.
I am under 3 monthly observation for one year for two moles to check for skin cancer and have been told to buy lots of long sleeved tops and 3/4 length pants for the summer.

Not that I am a sunbather but I am going to have to work hard to stay pale - these moles I might add look perfectly normal and in the UK, my GP wouldnt have even noticed them so I have Australia to thank for that.

However, I know its odd but I love it when we have a thunder storm and I can stay in and snuggle up - sometimes bad weather comforts me.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it's not about Australia not living up to my expectations, it's more a case of realising what England really means to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.