Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It took 2 years but we did it--we're home!

It took 2 years but we did it--we're home!

Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:40 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default It took 2 years but we did it--we're home!

I can't believe I am here typing this in a small village in Northamptonshire, Bozeat. From my window can see thatched roofs it's wonderful!
I am back after 6 years in the US. My OH and I decided orginally to make the move back about 2 years ago after my son was born so we started making plan and getting the house ready for sale. I quit my really good career in feb of this year and the house went on the market in march. It took much longer to sell than we had thought and I had some moments when I thought what am I thinking? We left a 4 bedroom house and a lexus to move back here.

My daughter was born in July- orginally we had thought we would be back for her birth but the house still wasn't sold. I was v. depressed that we were going to be in the US for another harsh winter. My mum- who had also moved to the US for 3 years managed to sell her house and went back in Sept. which only added to me feeling down.

I wondered about just settling for what we had as it would be so much easier-but instead we bottomed out our price and then the house sold. I felt a bit sad when the new owners came over to do their final walk through but it soon passed. quicker than I thought actually, once our stuff was out of the house I felt much less attached.

Anyway, sorry this is such a long one, we arrived on Wednesday. It was hard to say goodbye to my sister who remains in the US but she is with an American and was settled whereas my hubbie and I (he's a brit too) never felt that way. apart from that goodbye it's all been wonderful!!!!

We flew on British airways direct from Seattle and my son who's 2 was a little angel, my daughter slept in the crib provided so the night flight really helped. walking through the gate and seeing starbucks was weird!

We are really feeling settled, hearing everyone use the same accent as us is wonderful, at first I wanted to ask them, "are you from england too" but then realised. Also it's weird drinking my ribena and not having to ration.

went to tesco the choices were amazing, the stuff for the home was gorgeous- can't beleive I have paid $2000.00 to ship my stuff back when there is such lovely stuff to buy. I did spend 260 pounds in tesco which was crazy but I bought everything I've been craving I'll be eating like a queen now for a while. All the christmas stuff is in the shops so feeling very festive.

In the village where I am I have joined yoga, mums and tots and a book club where we discuss books over a bottle or few of wine-so I have to read the secret lives of bees. I am also going to join the drama club. it's the smallest little place but so much going on. I think it's because before I left I didn't really go looking for things to do and used to just spend time down the pub.One positive I've gained from my time in the US is the proactive attitude.

Well that's all for now (cause I think that's enough!!!) just so excited to be back and tell everyone it will all be ok, I need to start doing real world expensive things but the difference is I'm motivated to do it. I can't believe I waited so long.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It took 2 years but we did it--we're home!

Good to hear from you Hayley...I am so pleased you're finally back and lovin' it. Please keep us updated on your life back home.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 4:45 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Hear hear. What JG said. Glad to see you and to see how settled you are
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I only pop into this forum now and again. I'm a Ribena fan and I have to ration that here in New Zealand coz it is expensive stuff.

I just wanted to say what a quality post you have made there Hayley. Lovely to read that your efforts have paid off and you find yourself in a place you can happily call home. Good on yer girl.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:56 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely heart warming post. I hope you have a magical Xmas.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:53 am

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I only pop into this forum now and again. I'm a Ribena fan and I have to ration that here in New Zealand coz it is expensive stuff.

I just wanted to say what a quality post you have made there Hayley. Lovely to read that your efforts have paid off and you find yourself in a place you can happily call home. Good on yer girl.
cheers! It is the wierdest thing to feel so happy now that I have finally done it. It's just like coming back from a really long holiday I feel really at peace.

I never imagined I'd feel so warm and fuzzy, after all I didn't hate the states I just realise now I was fooling myself thinking that was where I belonged. I used to look at all the material things I had and think I'd be crazy to go to England and leave it all. but honestly, even after making hardly anything on our house sale (not enough to get in a rental- we are living with my father in law) I still have no regrets and haven't really thought much about what we've given up.

My mother in law took my childen today for a couple of hours and so had my hubbie to myself so that helped am just about to tuck into yorkie puds and roasters for sunday dinner.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Really good post Hayley. Wish you continued happiness as you settle back into UK
Old Nov 11th 2007, 1:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
cheers! It is the weirdest thing to feel so happy now that I have finally done it. It's just like coming back from a really long holiday I feel really at peace.........
That's how I feel every time I go back home for one of my extended 'holidays'

Well done - I hope everything continues to work out for you!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

I can't believe I am here typing this in a small village in Northamptonshire, Bozeat. From my window can see thatched roofs it's wonderful!
I am back after 6 years in the US. My OH and I decided orginally to make the move back about 2 years ago after my son was born so we started making plan and getting the house ready for sale. I quit my really good career in feb of this year and the house went on the market in march. It took much longer to sell than we had thought and I had some moments when I thought what am I thinking? We left a 4 bedroom house and a lexus to move back here.

My daughter was born in July- orginally we had thought we would be back for her birth but the house still wasn't sold. I was v. depressed that we were going to be in the US for another harsh winter. My mum- who had also moved to the US for 3 years managed to sell her house and went back in Sept. which only added to me feeling down.

I wondered about just settling for what we had as it would be so much easier-but instead we bottomed out our price and then the house sold. I felt a bit sad when the new owners came over to do their final walk through but it soon passed. quicker than I thought actually, once our stuff was out of the house I felt much less attached.

Anyway, sorry this is such a long one, we arrived on Wednesday. It was hard to say goodbye to my sister who remains in the US but she is with an American and was settled whereas my hubbie and I (he's a brit too) never felt that way. apart from that goodbye it's all been wonderful!!!!

We flew on British airways direct from Seattle and my son who's 2 was a little angel, my daughter slept in the crib provided so the night flight really helped. walking through the gate and seeing starbucks was weird!

We are really feeling settled, hearing everyone use the same accent as us is wonderful, at first I wanted to ask them, "are you from england too" but then realised. Also it's weird drinking my ribena and not having to ration.

went to tesco the choices were amazing, the stuff for the home was gorgeous- can't beleive I have paid $2000.00 to ship my stuff back when there is such lovely stuff to buy. I did spend 260 pounds in tesco which was crazy but I bought everything I've been craving I'll be eating like a queen now for a while. All the christmas stuff is in the shops so feeling very festive.

In the village where I am I have joined yoga, mums and tots and a book club where we discuss books over a bottle or few of wine-so I have to read the secret lives of bees. I am also going to join the drama club. it's the smallest little place but so much going on. I think it's because before I left I didn't really go looking for things to do and used to just spend time down the pub.One positive I've gained from my time in the US is the proactive attitude.

Well that's all for now (cause I think that's enough!!!) just so excited to be back and tell everyone it will all be ok, I need to start doing real world expensive things but the difference is I'm motivated to do it. I can't believe I waited so long.
I feel so happy for you all, this is what this site is all about...finding your inner peace and liking your past experience and feeling better off for doing it all!!!
congrats.

We are hoping to get back summer/08, but just like you said, its the job security/pension/benefits that keeps us and 3 children from jumping on a plane today...One day, I'll be writing my story too.

We are also looking for a village type setting, and I felt, what you described. can you PM me what village it is or close to it? We are looking into East Anglia areas, as family is around this area.
tks in advance
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:17 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dewdrop
I feel so happy for you all, this is what this site is all about...finding your inner peace and liking your past experience and feeling better off for doing it all!!!
congrats.

We are hoping to get back summer/08, but just like you said, its the job security/pension/benefits that keeps us and 3 children from jumping on a plane today...One day, I'll be writing my story too.

We are also looking for a village type setting, and I felt, what you described. can you PM me what village it is or close to it? We are looking into East Anglia areas, as family is around this area.
tks in advance
Hi Dewdrop, Hayley said that they were living in Bozeat, Northants in her first post. I believe that is in Wellingborough. My brother also lives in a nice village in Northant's called Weston Favell, but that's south of Northants. There are some beautiful villages in East Anglia. I hope you get 'home' one day. I hope to be writing a nice fuzzy story on here too, one day, don't know when though.

http://www.bozeat.info/
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Hi Dewdrop, Hayley said that they were living in Bozeat, Northants in her first post. I believe that is in Wellingborough. My brother also lives in a nice village in Northant's called Weston Favell, but that's south of Northants. There are some beautiful villages in East Anglia. I hope you get 'home' one day. I hope to be writing a nice fuzzy story on here too, one day, don't know when though.

http://www.bozeat.info/
Quite right. Lots of pretty villages all around me, Wollaston, Harold and Carlton to name a few. There's not alot going on in the way of shops and clubs but I find that's not really what I'm after any more.
Wellingborough- a major town is just a 5 mile drive away if I crave Dottie P's and tesco and there's a minibus going to northampton to do the clubs from Bozeat once a month.
V. pleased with my set up. Hubbies looking for a job so hopefully that will all pan out. got to pay for all my cream eclairs somehow
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of

Quite right. Lots of pretty villages all around me, Wollaston, Harold and Carlton to name a few. There's not alot going on in the way of shops and clubs but I find that's not really what I'm after any more.
Wellingborough- a major town is just a 5 mile drive away if I crave Dottie P's and tesco and there's a minibus going to northampton to do the clubs from Bozeat once a month.
V. pleased with my set up. Hubbies looking for a job so hopefully that will all pan out. got to pay for all my cream eclairs somehow
Enjoy being home , my hubby is from Wollaston so know what you mean about pretty little villages . We are in australia , not been a bed of roses since we got here , my 13 year daughter having difficulties . Got a three year contract so are here for the time being .
Glad you are enjoying yourself and settling.

Janet
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

I am back after 6 years in the US. .............
So excited for you and envious of course - and dreaming of the day I walk through tescos and not worry about whether I can fit it in my suitcase... and another reason to be envious 'Tesco delivery' Oh I miss that. With all the advanced stuff here in the U.S. but no grocery deliveries. I used to love having all the heavy stuff brought right to the door.... sorry away in supermarket dreamland there.
Congratulations, you must be estatic. Our timeline is about 2 years too. Now that you are home, do you feel like that '2 year wait' went quickly?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
So excited for you and envious of course - and dreaming of the day I walk through tescos and not worry about whether I can fit it in my suitcase... and another reason to be envious 'Tesco delivery' Oh I miss that. With all the advanced stuff here in the U.S. but no grocery deliveries. I used to love having all the heavy stuff brought right to the door.... sorry away in supermarket dreamland there.
Congratulations, you must be estatic. Our timeline is about 2 years too. Now that you are home, do you feel like that '2 year wait' went quickly?
Would love to say yes but for me It really dragged. I can now look back and say it was a good thing as I was able to work through all my doubts and push ahead anyway but now that I am back I wish it hadn't taken so long- it was alot of wasted time in which I felt very depressed and I didn't realise how much of that was due to my surroundings.
I sort of passed off my down feelings to just feeling out of sorts but I have been so relaxed since I have been back and I realise how much the performing my accent for strangers and hectic work culture I was emersed in the US was changing who I was. I feel like myself again.
The fears I had about bad customer service and the lower standard of living were rubbish and I wish I' come home years ago.
Obviously if you have no choice but to stick things out then i wish you the best of luck, it's not easy, but if you do have options I'd say in the words of embrace, come back to what you know.!