Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Considering moving back to UK from US

Considering moving back to UK from US

Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

alanps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering moving back to UK from US

We have a lovely home in New England, I have a great job (work mainly from home can relocate with ease) love the weather have many friends - but have never really totally settled here in the US and we still pine for home (UK)..

If it weren't for the tragic exchange rate we would have moved back some time ago (in our sixth year)

Financially we will take a hit for sure (already have done) - but figuring we could wait forever for this to resolve itself.....

Any tips on how to move back without permanently going to a place of financial ruin
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering moving back to UK from US

Originally Posted by alanps
We have a lovely home in New England, I have a great job (work mainly from home can relocate with ease) love the weather have many friends - but have never really totally settled here in the US and we still pine for home (UK)..

If it weren't for the tragic exchange rate we would have moved back some time ago (in our sixth year)

Financially we will take a hit for sure (already have done) - but figuring we could wait forever for this to resolve itself.....

Any tips on how to move back without permanently going to a place of financial ruin
Have you had a look at www.uk-yankee.com?

Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Elvira - I will check that out.
Best
Alan
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to move back (ie, is your visa running out), or do you have green cards that allow you to stay?

There is a reasonable chance that once you are back in the U.K. you will miss your lives in the United States ("expat curse").
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Nope in fact we got our Green cards in record time - 6 months start to finish!

I think there are things we will miss - but we can always visit :-)

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do you have to move back (ie, is your visa running out), or do you have green cards that allow you to stay?

There is a reasonable chance that once you are back in the U.K. you will miss your lives in the United States ("expat curse").
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Nope in fact we got our Green cards in record time - 6 months start to finish!

I think there are things we will miss - but we can always visit :-)
You can always visit, provided visa regulations and your circumstances don't bar you.

But once you lose your Green Cards (which normally happens pretty quickly when the holders leave the U.S. to live elsewhere) your chances of ever coming back to live in the U.S. may be zero.

The exchange rate is really bad and the good feelings of being "home" may soon dissipate once you take stock of your financial situation.

Take a look at the posts made by "dunroving" as he was in a similar situation to yours.

Why not just try to visit the U.K. more? If finance isn't a problem, can you get extra (unpaid) leave from your job to allow this?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:11 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can always visit, provided visa regulations and your circumstances don't bar you.

But once you lose your Green Cards (which normally happens pretty quickly when the holders leave the U.S. to live elsewhere) your chances of ever coming back to live in the U.S. may be zero.

The exchange rate is really bad and the good feelings of being "home" may soon dissipate once you take stock of your financial situation.

Take a look at the posts made by "dunroving" as he was in a similar situation to yours.

Why not just try to visit the U.K. more? If finance isn't a problem, can you get extra (unpaid) leave from your job to allow this?
Christ on a bike. Do you ever just mind your own business?

Some people want to move back to the UK and be happy. I know that offends your paper thin Aussie skin, but them's the facts. Deal with it for chrissakes
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

used_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really niceused_car_salesman is just really nice

I think it is a good idea to use unpaid leave - not thought of that one before - it gives an extra option. You could call the trip a holiday!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Christ on a bike. Do you ever just mind your own business?

Some people want to move back to the UK and be happy. I know that offends your paper thin Aussie skin, but them's the facts. Deal with it for chrissakes
Was it really necessary for you to be so rude? It's not the first time you've made a comment like that.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 3rd 2007 at 12:38 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 2:48 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts in New England...
The thing I find I get up here is cabin fever...and its not like we get snowed in or anything...but glad now I never ended up any more north than I am now...

If you have everything here...maybe a trip home would be good....my daughter did that after 3 years of homesickness...and could not wait to get back here...she still does not like the area...but we have a place in FL that keeps us all sane...
If you can work from anywhere maybe try relocating within the US first...
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:36 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Was it really necessary for you to be so rude? It's not the first time you've made a comment like that.
Perhaps if he didn't parrot out the same condescending diatribe with each and every post and learns to post something new, comments like mine wouldn't be needed. And judging by the PMs I got it seems a few others feel the same.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Perhaps if he didn't parrot out the same condescending diatribe with each and every post and learns to post something new, comments like mine wouldn't be needed. And judging by the PMs I got it seems a few others feel the same.
Three words: Pot ... kettle ... black.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Though some may not like the responses given by JAJ, I feel if you actually take the time to read them and understand what he is saying there is a lot of valuable information there.

I know I have been wrong in some assumptions I have made and after investigating things further, after some prods from JAJ's posts, I see I could have made some real mistakes. I for one value JAJ's posts and thank him for them.

How many people have gone back and for one reason or another moved away from the US again? I think all that JAJ is saying is that there are consequences for leaving the US and here are some points to consider.

Moving back to the UK is a shock to the system and the pocket book. The exchange rate only impacts the money you are taking across and not the salaries you'll be earning, etc.

Really consider what made you leave the UK and why you want to go back. Will being there really make you happier, or just provide a different set of problems?

Is there any chance you could go back for a couple month vacation before doing anything permanent? That way you could almost get a feel for what it would be like before going back.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:21 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I think what Triboy has a problem with is the doom and gloom JAJ seems to put across. I understand that there are huge implications for leaving a country without securing your ties first, but my situation is an example of why citizenship is not for everyone.

1. I only came to this country because I fell in love with an American man, not for the country itself.

2. I had no other reason to come here. My life was fine in the UK, I wasn't escaping for a "better life".

3. I've given it my all here, and now I want to go home. I've been here 5 years, and know deep down I'll never be happy here, for various reasons, and I'll never be able to change them (policies, etc).

4. I don't have a massive wad of cash to pay for citizenship. When I go back, I'll be practically broke and relying on family members for a roof until I get a job. Not everyone even has that luxury.

5. I don't see the point in investing even more time and money in a country I don't want to live in ever again. EDIT: I know that some of the processing times may have reduced, but whose to say the USCIS won't change things again and have people wait forever? Took me 5 months just to get my new permanent residency card in the mail after the conditions had been removed.

For those who are desperate to go home, know what they want, and are positive they'll never want to move back to that country again, it's depressing to hear someone's comments about how everything is so rosy anywhere else other than the UK. We've all come from there, we know how it is, so why keep putting it down all the time?

Not trying to start a war, just my 2c.

Last edited by katesbackagain; Nov 7th 2007 at 8:51 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Not trying to start a war, just my 2c.
Let me see, that would be ... 0.95 p at today's rates (Now there's some doom and gloom - sorry!). Most of my cash is still in USD if it's any consolation.

I know I've appreciated the opportunity to receive viewpoints from both sides when making my decision to come back (and now struggling with that decision). And sometimes people do seem to have a bias ... or paint doom and gloom (for wherever, be it UK or US, both of which seem to be having their fair share of D&G currently) ... but as long as it's well intended and not rude, I don't know why certain people get their panties in a wad every time JAJ opens his mouth.

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 7th 2007 at 9:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.