Too Scared to go back

Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:38 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Too Scared to go back

[QUOTE=woodyinoz]
Originally Posted by kendodd

My 5wks last year lasted me a good year. It will really help you get through.
After going back last year I did realise that Australia was a great place to bring up little kids. It has helped me stay immensely for that reason.

Where are you visiting... Don't forget your winter woollies

I have just had an email from hubby listing the cost for citizenship. I think that he is starting to realise how finances are starting to effect our lifestyles. He wants a chat tonight.

I am still way too scared to commit to going back yet though.. and excited at the same time
Well, if we stayed here, we'd be skint in no time at all. From a financial point of view - we do much better in England allowing us to have a good variety of holidays, and the extra 5 days holidays allowance! It isn't everything, but at least it allows you to do the things you want to do. Also, better choice of jobs for DH.

What is the cost for citizenship anyway, it can't be too much can it? I do think your hubby needs to take your feelings into account. A happy mum = a happy family, and England is/was your home.

This whole emigration business opens a lovely can of worms that you just don't get the lid back on! It's a personal thing for every individual, but I don't honestly feel that we are giving our children a better life here at all. Life is life wherever you are and it's up to us as parents to make it interesting and fulfilling for the kids wherever, be it here or there.

I'll be all over the place when I go back, but I will be doing some serious shopping and top of the list is a decent winter coat and some jumpers for winter next year because I've never been so cold in my life inside a house here!

What's right for one might not be right for someone else, but I'd go back in flash if I could!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:47 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

The more I read from people who are still homesick after many years, the more I think it's far harder to make that move back to 'home' if you've been there a while?

It's going to be far more of a challenge..will you like it? It's going to be far more of a financial burden..and then will hubby like being back? It's always the men that seem to like Oz, I've said it loads of times, but then they always seems to settle for the simple things in life!?

I do wish everyone whos still there and feels homesick the best, I hope you can sort out the possibilities of coming back, if you feel strong enough I'm sure it will work.

I imagine if we had stayed longer the chances of returning would have seemed further out of reach. Then again it's not all about owning a home is it, people rent and are happy that way, its where you feel happy that counts, not always what you have in the material sense?
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

I have been here 4 months and the last couple of days have felt like Betty Boot described "physically sick' about the thought of having to stay and grow old in oz.
I know this will annoy a lot of people me saying that (including my hubby)
we have fallen out big time tonight because we both shared our true thoughts about being here and we clearly don't agree!!!
I feel as if i am in no mans land at the moment.
Anyone else felt the same?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:04 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Desire
I have been here 4 months and the last couple of days have felt like Betty Boot described "physically sick' about the thought of having to stay and grow old in oz.
we have fallen out big time tonight because we both shared our true thoughts about being here and we clearly don't agree!!!

It's awful isn't it. I kept my feelings to myself for a while. Then I started to make comments to hubby about how I felt. By this time we had bought a house but I just kept thinking..'Oh well, we can sell it' !!

Then one day I really came clean with how I felt, he didn't say much really, I think he expected my feelings of homesickness to subside, but they didn't. I would go and meet him for lunch and sob in the car...
Nice way to spend his lunch time!!!!
Over the next few weeks we talked and talked and decided to go back but he was happy to stay. He did settle straight away back here though and doesn't regret coming back. We didn't come back for nearly a year after deciding though, so it gave him time to explore and live a while in Oz

Cheer up, things are not as bad as they seem.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
A month ago I cried all the way back from the UK after staying with my sister for a week, I cried in M&S and Sainsburys as well while I was there :scared: I was just so happy to be surrounded by the familar.
LOL! It's so good to know other people go through the same things. Last time I was in the UK I bawled my eyes out in the Tesco car park! Being an expat really messes with your head doesn't it?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:22 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Reading all these posts has brought tears to my eyes as it just brings back all those empty stomach feelings of homesickness I got when I lived in Oz.

I guess I am lucky that my aussie hubby didn't hate the UK.! Maybe its easier thinking that the UK may not be forever either. Who knows...

We have just had my "outlaws" here from Oz and it just really hit home yet again why we came back as they were one of the main reasons we left Oz. These people travelled 12,000 miles - haven't seen their grandaughter in 1yr and spent approx 15mins playing with her in their 10days stay.!!!No sweets, no treats, no toys, no stories at bedtime, nothing...!!!! No presents from Oz...nowt ......Anyone would think this beautiful 4yr old didn't exist. Still we both hope they won't be rushing back here too soon.!!!Maybe I should have developed some nasty habits..or some bad cooking skills...mind you my FIL liked sucking the food out of his mouth plate after a meal infront of us so who knows what habits they would consider bad.....!!ekkkkkk made me gag..!!

Still I can ungrit my teeth now they have gone.... :scared:

My heart goes out to all those feeling that horrible empty space....all I can say is that for me it got better ...slowly.....try to stay busy and in touch with people.

Take care peeps....
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh! Sounds like a lovely visit. How could they not bring pressies? And I bet she noticed, cos at that age they do, don't they. I am taking so many pressies for my sister's trio, plus Christmas stuff, that I have no room for clothes in my luggage.
Glad the move back worked out well for you
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
Reading all these posts has brought tears to my eyes as it just brings back all those empty stomach feelings of homesickness I got when I lived in Oz.

I guess I am lucky that my aussie hubby didn't hate the UK.! Maybe its easier thinking that the UK may not be forever either. Who knows...

We have just had my "outlaws" here from Oz and it just really hit home yet again why we came back as they were one of the main reasons we left Oz. These people travelled 12,000 miles - haven't seen their grandaughter in 1yr and spent approx 15mins playing with her in their 10days stay.!!!No sweets, no treats, no toys, no stories at bedtime, nothing...!!!! No presents from Oz...nowt ......Anyone would think this beautiful 4yr old didn't exist. Still we both hope they won't be rushing back here too soon.!!!Maybe I should have developed some nasty habits..or some bad cooking skills...mind you my FIL liked sucking the food out of his mouth plate after a meal infront of us so who knows what habits they would consider bad.....!!ekkkkkk made me gag..!!

Still I can ungrit my teeth now they have gone.... :scared:

My heart goes out to all those feeling that horrible empty space....all I can say is that for me it got better ...slowly.....try to stay busy and in touch with people.

Take care peeps....
That's the sort of Grandparents that I left in the UK.One of the reason's for coming out here. I think my Mum babysat once a year and she wouldn't even visit when my daughter was told that she had a non contagious disease and had 20% chance of fatality. 3 months she was in bed / hospital and not one visit from family. I guess that I got angry and went for my visa. it was only then that they changed and became doting parents!!!!

I now realise that I left to spite them but I ended up siting myself. Now if I come home it will be for my kids benefit. OH and the pubs

Hubby has now agreed to go back in a few year if wages are good - yippeee NOW I AM SCARED - HELP.... stay go - stay go - stay go
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desire
I am so sorry to hear this. Please don't feel lonely. A lot of us have felt just the same...

It is so hard to enjoy your new life when your heart wont let go of the old one.

I think that men haven't got the same feelings as women and they just want to settle down.. I know now that the main thing stopping hubby from going back was not the love of this country but all the effort that would be involved. I fully understand what he means but it has taken quite a few disagreements to get this much out of him! And I do undertand and sympathise with him. I can't be easy having to keep changes from jobs that you enjoy.

Please share your homesickness with us as it does help.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:49 am
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=kendodd]
Originally Posted by woodyinoz

Well, if we stayed here, we'd be skint in no time at all. From a financial point of view - we do much better in England allowing us to have a good variety of holidays, and the extra 5 days holidays allowance! It isn't everything, but at least it allows you to do the things you want to do. Also, better choice of jobs for DH.

What is the cost for citizenship anyway, it can't be too much can it? I do think your hubby needs to take your feelings into account. A happy mum = a happy family, and England is/was your home.

This whole emigration business opens a lovely can of worms that you just don't get the lid back on! It's a personal thing for every individual, but I don't honestly feel that we are giving our children a better life here at all. Life is life wherever you are and it's up to us as parents to make it interesting and fulfilling for the kids wherever, be it here or there.

I'll be all over the place when I go back, but I will be doing some serious shopping and top of the list is a decent winter coat and some jumpers for winter next year because I've never been so cold in my life inside a house here!

What's right for one might not be right for someone else, but I'd go back in flash if I could!
We left loads of our jumper's behind when we came , like you i have not felt so cold in a house since i was a child and we had no central heating or double glazing , i never thought i would be reminded of those memories again and definately not in AUSTRALIA
Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:51 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

That's the sort of Grandparents that I left in the UK.One of the reason's for coming out here. I think my Mum babysat once a year and she wouldn't even visit when my daughter was told that she had a non contagious disease and had 20% chance of fatality. 3 months she was in bed / hospital and not one visit from family. I guess that I got angry and went for my visa. it was only then that they changed and became doting parents!!!!

I now realise that I left to spite them but I ended up siting myself. Now if I come home it will be for my kids benefit. OH and the pubs

Hubby has now agreed to go back in a few year if wages are good - yippeee NOW I AM SCARED - HELP.... stay go - stay go - stay go
God Woody....sorry to hear how bad they were but at least they have changed.That must have really hurt!

My outlaws won't change and even my hubby said we aren't doing that again....having them to stay. They hated the fact we came back to the UK but made no effort even when we lived in Oz. Christmas was always a cold affair etc where my daughter ( who was a baby then) got gift vouchers and my hubby got presents.....sadly the main thing that came out of the visit is we both think my MIL hasn't untied the apron strings with regards to my hubby. She treated him rather than our daughter.Everything was for him even down to buying him treats from the shops...but again nothing for our daughter. I must say that they did give her an ornament when they arrived.....mmmhhhhhh just what a 4yr old loves............!!!

Don't be scared...come back and see how you feel. Have you got citizenship yet?

Cheers

P
Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:57 pm

..mind you my FIL liked sucking the food out of his mouth plate after a meal infront of us made me gag..!!

Take care peeps....

Yuk ! Pants that's revolting! Maybe you're better off as far away as you are!!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

God Woody....sorry to hear how bad they were but at least they have changed.That must have really hurt!

My outlaws won't change and even my hubby said we aren't doing that again....having them to stay. They hated the fact we came back to the UK but made no effort even when we lived in Oz. Christmas was always a cold affair etc where my daughter ( who was a baby then) got gift vouchers and my hubby got presents.....sadly the main thing that came out of the visit is we both think my MIL hasn't untied the apron strings with regards to my hubby. She treated him rather than our daughter.Everything was for him even down to buying him treats from the shops...but again nothing for our daughter. I must say that they did give her an ornament when they arrived.....mmmhhhhhh just what a 4yr old loves............!!!

Don't be scared...come back and see how you feel. Have you got citizenship yet?

Cheers

P
Filling out the papers for citizenship this weekend

I am sorry about your inlaws. As you said at least my family changed. My kids love seeing them now and my Mums face when she went to Disneyland with the girls last year was a memory that will last forever. I hate xmas without them all around.

Is your MIL OK with you or does she see you as evil for taking her son away?

My MIL died a few years ago, she was a lovely kind lady and a great support in the absense of my Mum. I love my FIL to bits. He is 70 in a few weeks and all on his own.. I would move back just for him. He gave me so much support when things went bad with hubby.

Have you got your parents around you?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:02 pm
Live the moment

Originally Posted by kendodd
Yuk ! Pants that's revolting! Maybe you're better off as far away as you are!!!

tell me about it....god you would think the bathroom is the best place for that..!!!I am just glad little Pants didn't see him...!!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:04 pm

I know now that the main thing stopping hubby from going back was not the love of this country but all the effort that would be involved. .
We we moved out here, it was me that did everything - organised estate agents, opened the Oz bank account, filled out all those blooming visa forms, organised quotes from shippers, got the cars advertised and sold, booked and paid the airfares, redirected and stopped all the mail.......

I didn't mind though as he was at work..... it's alot of bother, but to be quite honest, I'd do it all again, but this time all I have to do is sell 2 cars, organise a container and book the airfares so it won't be as complicated.

Then there's are the start up stuff at the other end!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.