Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A tip for helping your credit rating

A tip for helping your credit rating

Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:49 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default A tip for helping your credit rating

Once you have a bank account in UK and have put yourself on the electoral register somewhere, you will need to start applying for credit to get yourself a rating. Please do make sure that getting on the register is your first priority, even if it is just a relatives address to start with.
As we all know, getting credit is easier said than done, because if you havent already bought stuff you dont have a rating and usually get refused.
I just thought I would let you know that I managed to get a credit account with Next catalogue when i was back there recently. I managed to buy a duvet, kettle and curtains. No questions were asked and i received the goods within 24hrs!!
I also managed to get a new latop and dongle contract at Carphone Warehouse.

I thought it might be a good idea to list companies who seem able to offer us new homecomers some form of credit to get us going with a credit rating.

So, I shall start by lisitng

Next
Carphone Warehouse
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:11 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A tip for helping your credit rating

Utility Ware House are doing some good packages, on gas/elec/phone and internet. As long as you have 4 including landline, you get 75mins free calls to other Uk landlines.

Also just been offered a 70% morgage through ABBEY on self cert
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Once you have a bank account in UK and have put yourself on the electoral register somewhere, you will need to start applying for credit to get yourself a rating. Please do make sure that getting on the register is your first priority, even if it is just a relatives address to start with.
As we all know, getting credit is easier said than done, because if you havent already bought stuff you dont have a rating and usually get refused.
I just thought I would let you know that I managed to get a credit account with Next catalogue when i was back there recently. I managed to buy a duvet, kettle and curtains. No questions were asked and i received the goods within 24hrs!!
I also managed to get a new latop and dongle contract at Carphone Warehouse.

I thought it might be a good idea to list companies who seem able to offer us new homecomers some form of credit to get us going with a credit rating.

So, I shall start by lisitng

Next
Carphone Warehouse
I've had no trouble getting a UK CC...just had to send council tax and utility bills to prove address.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:19 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Utility Ware House are doing some good packages, on gas/elec/phone and internet. As long as you have 4 including landline, you get 75mins free calls to other Uk landlines.

Also just been offered a 70% morgage through ABBEY on self cert
Well done Sans. You did good getting a mortgage in this financial climate
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:23 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've had no trouble getting a UK CC...just had to send council tax and utility bills to prove address.
I havent tried for a credit card yet. I do have my UK Visa debit with Lloyds. I was too scared to apply in case they refused LOL.
I shall give it a go when I eventually get back there again.

Maybe it depends on your bank balance too. I just read all the time about how hard it is for new returnees to get any form of credit so decided to let people know it is possible.
They do advise that you start making purchases on credit even if you dont really need it just to get yourself going.
The really odd thing was that I was refused a 3 mobile phone contract, which I found totally bizarre seeing as the dongle contract with laptop from Carphone Warehouse is with 3 mobile!! Go figure
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I havent tried for a credit card yet. I do have my UK Visa debit with Lloyds. I was too scared to apply in case they refused LOL.
I shall give it a go when I eventually get back there again.

Maybe it depends on your bank balance too. I just read all the time about how hard it is for new returnees to get any form of credit so decided to let people know it is possible.
They do advise that you start making purchases on credit even if you dont really need it just to get yourself going.
The really odd thing was that I was refused a 3 mobile phone contract, which I found totally bizarre seeing as the dongle contract with laptop from Carphone Warehouse is with 3 mobile!! Go figure
I didn't close my UK bank or building society accounts when I left the UK. I also kept my UK credit card...but stores in the UK will only deliver to the address on the CC records and ours address is the US. So as soon as I had a UK address I applied for a M&S CC...took about 3 weeks to come through.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Good information for me when I move back next year. I have an Abbey National account that I have kept open since I left in 1987, so hopefully that will be of help.

Flea ~ cute pic of your granddaughter, she's adorable
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:00 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Sans. You did good getting a mortgage in this financial climate
It wasn't easy I was told no chance by several morgage advisors and was refused by afew.......Then i found the right morgage advisor Yay!! Its been fast tracked as well Valuers are going in next wk ... still got fingers crossed
that nothing goes wrong before hand
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
It wasn't easy I was told no chance by several morgage advisors and was refused by afew.......Then i found the right morgage advisor Yay!! Its been fast tracked as well Valuers are going in next wk ... still got fingers crossed
that nothing goes wrong before hand
Very good news, good luck Sans
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:04 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Very good news, good luck Sans
Thanks M
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have kept my two c/cards from the UK. Very handy here. They are both active. I noticed the other day that the credit limit on one has been increased even though I was using (and clearing) a fraction (under 10%) of the credit limit.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:30 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

I was turned down by T-Mobile for a dongle because I didn't have a landline. I haven't tried getting a phone contract here. Doing pay-as-you-go for the time being.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:51 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
I was turned down by T-Mobile for a dongle because I didn't have a landline. I haven't tried getting a phone contract here. Doing pay-as-you-go for the time being.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a dongle?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:35 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Good information for me when I move back next year. I have an Abbey National account that I have kept open since I left in 1987, so hopefully that will be of help.

Flea ~ cute pic of your granddaughter, she's adorable
Thanx Marmalade. Yes she is adorable. I miss her like crazy.

Meljor. A dongle is a small device that you plug into your laptop and it gives you internet access wherever you are. In UK they are giving away free laptops with every dongle contract! Although its not technically free as you are paying for it in you monthly bill.
I loved mine when i was there. I could go sit in the park and use it.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Thanx Marmalade. Yes she is adorable. I miss her like crazy.

Meljor. A dongle is a small device that you plug into your laptop and it gives you internet access wherever you are. In UK they are giving away free laptops with every dongle contract! Although its not technically free as you are paying for it in you monthly bill.
I loved mine when i was there. I could go sit in the park and use it.
I have not tried carphware... But they do ask for length of employment, don't they? That is my next aim, once I can get barclays to send my new debit card to the right address...grrrrrrrr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.