Is The Tide Turning?

Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Is The Tide Turning?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Not at all. It's -25C outside this morning. I'd have to be insane to stay here after I retire this summer.
Hi Novocastrian

It nice to be back in the UK compared to the winter we had in the Ottawa Valley. We live just outside Dover and today in my garden it was 15C. I managed to stain one of my garden sheds. The wife sat in the sun on our south facing patio in a t-shirt.

hudd
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point

Not at all. It's -25C outside this morning. I'd have to be insane to stay here after I retire this summer.
I know exactly where you're coming from. It was winter last year that did it for me and finally made up my mind. Snow on the ground from October to June and constant double-figure minus temperatures. Much milder this year generally than last, but too little too late for me.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm View Post
Hi Novocastrian

It nice to be back in the UK compared to the winter we had in the Ottawa Valley. We live just outside Dover and today in my garden it was 15C. I managed to stain one of my garden sheds. The wife sat in the sun on our south facing patio in a t-shirt.

hudd
Hi hudd,

I remember you, I think you lived in Pembroke? I have friends in Deep River and know that the winters up there are much more severe than here in the GTA.

Our -25C (-39 with windchill) today is an exceptionally cold one for us, but nonetheless when you start feeling your age a bit, the winters in Ontario are simply not conducive to normal human living.

We'll be splitting our time between Normandy and the UK from July on.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Hi hudd,

I remember you, I think you lived in Pembroke? I have friends in Deep River and know that the winters up there are much more severe than here in the GTA.

Our -25C (-39 with windchill) today is an exceptionally cold one for us, but nonetheless when you start feeling your age a bit, the winters in Ontario are simply not conducive to normal human living.

We'll be splitting our time between Normandy and the UK from July on.
Novocastrian

Yes we lived in Pembroke. Deep River is where some of my friends still live.
Winters were too long in Ontario for us. I found February the hardest winter month. I did liked end of August to early October in the Ottawa Valley.
I like being outside when not at work and found in England you can be out most of the year in the garden or in the countryside. Living both in France and the UK seems a good retirement life style.

We are looking to stay in England when we retire, but looking to move the East Midlands to buy an acreage with a country home in the next few years. so I can have a hobby farm/workshops. I just looking for a new role for the next 15 years until I can retire.

hudd
Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Novocastrian

Yes we lived in Pembroke. Deep River is where some of my friends still live.
Winters were too long in Ontario for us. I found February the hardest winter month. I did liked end of August to early October in the Ottawa Valley.
I like being outside when not at work and found in England you can be out most of the year in the garden or in the countryside. Living both in France and the UK seems a good retirement life style.

We are looking to stay in England when we retire, but looking to move the East Midlands to buy an acreage with a country home in the next few years. so I can have a hobby farm/workshops. I just looking for a new role for the next 15 years until I can retire.

hudd
Were you associated with AECL?
Old Feb 16th 2015, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Were you associated with AECL?
Novocastrian

I worked for AECL as an Operation Manager. I liked the job/people, but unfortunately it was 5500km away from our family in the UK. We went back to be near our family and schooling for our sons.

hudd
Old Feb 16th 2015, 6:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian

I worked for AECL as an Operation Manager. I liked the job/people, but unfortunately it was 5500km away from our family in the UK. We went back to be near our family and schooling for our sons.

hudd
Fair enough. Most of the folk in Deep River work there too (including my long time friend). He's been there for 22 years now and I think intends to stay after retirement. Yes, he's mad.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 7:38 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Novocastrian

hudd
I returned to the UK, just over 2 years ago, after 30+ years in Canada (mainly Calgary). I love the climate here and also that I can enjoy the garden year round vs. a short season in Alberta.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lf1 View Post
I returned to the UK, just over 2 years ago, after 30+ years in Canada (mainly Calgary). I love the climate here and also that I can enjoy the garden year round vs. a short season in Alberta.
lf1
We lived in Calgary 1997 and then Hanna AB until 1999. I was amazed that there was no real spring in AB. I had the dream of buying an acreage, but really did not appreciate the long winters and short growing season. I now spend many weekends in the garden or greenhouse when it been dry/mild in the winter. I have managed to prune all the fruit trees, coppice a large willow and done some landscaping already this winter.

hudd
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point

lf1
We lived in Calgary 1997 and then Hanna AB until 1999.
You wouldn't believe what a ghost town Hanna is now.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Expat1914 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a scary thing relying on the Canadian / GBP exchange rate as regards pension transfer. I decided the risk was not worth it after 23 years in Canada and yes, with a British Pension. Any news on whether the U.K. Government will change their mind on indexation (Hope it is appropriate to ask this question here)
Old Feb 17th 2015, 8:54 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Expat1914 View Post
It's a scary thing relying on the Canadian / GBP exchange rate as regards pension transfer. I decided the risk was not worth it after 23 years in Canada and yes, with a British Pension. Any news on whether the U.K. Government will change their mind on indexation (Hope it is appropriate to ask this question here)
Welcome to BE. That question comes up regularly over in the Canada section of this site. The consensus is there's not a chance in hell of indexation in the foreseeable future.