Is The Tide Turning?

Old Feb 9th 2015, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is The Tide Turning?

Hi All,

Long time no post on here. I'm calling it a day in Canada after 5 years and heading home. Been lurking recently and I'm surprised at the number of quite well-established posters who are heading home to the UK, particularly from Canada. I know there are various reasons in play - retirement, homesickness, etc. - but it's striking that there seems little regret expressed by those making the move back and I consequently can't help feeling that the tide may be turning against the Great Emigration Adventure generally.

Or am I reading things wrong?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is The Tide Turning?

For me it was retirement and time for a new adventure. After 34 years in Canada, it certainly was not a case of returning home - quite the opposite, leaving home for a new adventure.

Canada was great for us while we were working but with more leisure time, we thought it was time for a change.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly there is one trend that I see throughout Asia, and no doubt in other parts of the world, and that is the ever declining breed of the expat. There appears to be a lot of countries now who are making their immigration tougher.

Singapore, especially, has 25% foreigners, and they are concerned that the new graduates will have less opportunity for jobs, and hence their 2% unemployment rate could rise. It's seriously tough to get a position in Singapore now as a foreigner, unless you are at senior level of at least MD, CEO, etc.

Additionally, companies too are cutting costs, and instead of paying £70-£150k a year plus schooling for kids, they are just employing the locals on similar packages, but don't need to cover the huge cost of schooling.

I've had a number of friends and ex colleagues who have had to return to their home countries as a matter of necessity following something happening with their job, such as redundancy.

So, some of the immigration to the UK will be of British Expats who have met a wife/husband during their new life and want to go to the UK together.

The numbers are comprised of quite a complex bunch of reasons for going home.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 4:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spooooook View Post
...I consequently can't help feeling that the tide may be turning against the Great Emigration Adventure generally.

I spend time on the Canada and moving back forums. Just my impression but it seems to me that more are taking steps to move to Canada than to move back. Whether they make it to Canada remains to be seen, of course, whereas those wanting to move back likely have fewer obstacles and are probably more likely to make it.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I think you just sub-consciously notice it more, it's like your car you never see your make and model until you get yours then suddenly everyone has one.

I always used to see Pontiac Sunfires because it's what I drove but these days I never see them 'cause i don't drive one anymore.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit View Post
To be honest I think you just sub-consciously notice it more, it's like your car you never see your make and model until you get yours then suddenly everyone has one.

I always used to see Pontiac Sunfires because it's what I drove but these days I never see them 'cause i don't drive one anymore.
Nicely put, sir.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 1:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit View Post
...... I always used to see Pontiac Sunfires ...... [but] I never see them 'cause i don't drive one anymore.
That would be because they haven't been made for ten years and were unreliable pieces of junk.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

theoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud oftheoldgit has much to be proud of

We're seriously considering moving back to the UK from Thailand, mainly because of health issues, I had a heart attack whilst we were on a long weekend to Singapore with my medical treatment costing me, or rather my travel insurers in excess of £16,000.

A further procedure in Bangkok cost me a further £4,000 which I had to fund myself, when I moved here eight years ago affordable health insurance wasn't available, thankfully before we flew to Singapore we purchased travel insurance.

So we are considering moving to take advantage of the NHS, as a UK taxpayer I don't feel guilty about this. I know the NHS has its own problems, but it's still very good.

Lots of soul searching at the moment, my wife is Thai and has to go through the tick box visa exercise which costs about £1,000, and then we have to rebuild our life in the UK.

The NHS will certainly give us peace of mind but I will miss the weather and the cheap cost of living, I certainly wont miss the corruption, traffic, double pricing and the dirt away from the tourist areas.

We are having two trips to the UK this year to get a feel for the place out of holiday mode, it's going to be a massive change for my wife who over the years when friends have asked her if she wants to live in the UK has replied "ok for a holiday".
Old Feb 13th 2015, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Long time no post on here. I'm calling it a day in Canada after 5 years and heading home. Been lurking recently and I'm surprised at the number of quite well-established posters who are heading home to the UK, particularly from Canada. I know there are various reasons in play - retirement, homesickness, etc. - but it's striking that there seems little regret expressed by those making the move back and I consequently can't help feeling that the tide may be turning against the Great Emigration Adventure generally.

After 45 years here in Canada and the U.S. I don't want my bones whitening here. Got to catch the tide before it is too late.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 11:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003 View Post
After 45 years here in Canada and the U.S. I don't want my bones whitening here. Got to catch the tide before it is too late.
Are you extremely aged or were you dragged, kicking and screaming, across the Atlantic by your evil parents?

45 beats my 38.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Are you extremely aged or were you dragged, kicking and screaming, across the Atlantic by your evil parents?

45 beats my 38.
Don't know if 67 is extremely aged-still working.

Nearly sixty years since my family first came here, but we have all ping-ponged back and forth, here and there, mainly France and Italy.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 9:21 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dave2003 View Post
Don't know if 67 is extremely aged-still working.

Nearly sixty years since my family first came here.....
Not very aged at all. I'm only 2 years younger, but I only emigrated when I was 27.

Slow learner you see.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Not very aged at all. I'm only 2 years younger, but I only emigrated when I was 27.

Slow learner you see.
Thank God for old people like dave2003 and Novocastrian on this forum. Makes me feel like a spring chicken at a mere 51

Novocastrian: it must have been a brave and monumental decision for you to move back having been in Canada for so long... my respect and best wishes for the move sir.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 10:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theoldgit View Post
We're seriously considering moving back to the UK from Thailand, mainly because of health issues, I had a heart attack whilst we were on a long weekend to Singapore with my medical treatment costing me, or rather my travel insurers in excess of £16,000.

A further procedure in Bangkok cost me a further £4,000 which I had to fund myself, when I moved here eight years ago affordable health insurance wasn't available, thankfully before we flew to Singapore we purchased travel insurance.

So we are considering moving to take advantage of the NHS, as a UK taxpayer I don't feel guilty about this. I know the NHS has its own problems, but it's still very good.

Lots of soul searching at the moment, my wife is Thai and has to go through the tick box visa exercise which costs about £1,000, and then we have to rebuild our life in the UK.

The NHS will certainly give us peace of mind but I will miss the weather and the cheap cost of living, I certainly wont miss the corruption, traffic, double pricing and the dirt away from the tourist areas.

We are having two trips to the UK this year to get a feel for the place out of holiday mode, it's going to be a massive change for my wife who over the years when friends have asked her if she wants to live in the UK has replied "ok for a holiday".
I see this kind of comment a lot - as a UK tax payer why would you feel guilty about using the NHS?

Not sure why people would feel the need to apologise for returning to their country of citizenship ... maybe it's a British thing.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 4:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian: it must have been a brave and monumental decision for you to move back having been in Canada for so long... my respect and best wishes for the move sir.
Not at all. It's -25C outside this morning. I'd have to be insane to stay here after I retire this summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.