Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For those of you who have always known....

For those of you who have always known....

Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:15 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: For those of you who have always known....

My OH and I have been discussing this very situation we find ourselves in most of this afternoon.

Like many, we don't hate / dislike / can't stand Oz, in a whole host of ways it's a fantastic place, but........ we just know it's not where our long term future lies.

We also totally agree with the previous replies that the longer the situation is left to see if it improves the harder it'll be to return to England.

My OH is half way through a pregnancy so we'll be returning a few months after new bub arrives.

We have no regrets about moving here and wouldn't go back and change anything we've done.

Better to have come to a decision now than come to the same one years down the line only to find what we had originally has totally disappeared.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:03 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave7370
My OH and I have been discussing this very situation we find ourselves in most of this afternoon.

Like many, we don't hate / dislike / can't stand Oz, in a whole host of ways it's a fantastic place, but........ we just know it's not where our long term future lies.

We also totally agree with the previous replies that the longer the situation is left to see if it improves the harder it'll be to return to England.

My OH is half way through a pregnancy so we'll be returning a few months after new bub arrives.

We have no regrets about moving here and wouldn't go back and change anything we've done.

Better to have come to a decision now than come to the same one years down the line only to find what we had originally has totally disappeared.
I agree, I had a baby here 4 months ago and it was very hard, all I wanted was my mum and sisters and my MIL with me to share and show off my new baby girl, it was very hard but a great time as well as I was delighted with her. we are going home in 5 weeks and she will be 5 months and I just cant wait to see every one and show her off. I was very lucky I had a great support network at home and a very close family I totally underestimated how much i would miss them and home as well. Australia is brilliant just not for us
I should add I had a gut feeling from the day we arrived that it wasnt right and I was hoping it would go away it never did it just got stronger and harder. so im glad we have decided to go now.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Unfortunately, I can beat that.

I lived in Oz for ~12 years. Raising a family and running a business meant that the ever-present gut feel that Oz wasn't for us took a long time to action. But, eventually, we woke up and left.

We have had to return for a couple of weeks and can't wait to leave. It really is as parochial and boring as we remember...in fact, worse. It has its own peculiar brand of complacent, suburban smugness, with a Mad Max undercurrent.

A bit like the America mid-west, but without the philosophical banter. I guess if you're coming from a war zone, Oz has its attractions.

One thing I've learnt to do is trust gut feel - I wish I had 15 years ago....
Great to see that you are still posting Mike,also that you are still very happy to be back home. Happy new Year !!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:16 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

Christmas and New Year has just reafirmed that our decision to go back to the UK is the right thing to do. We have started planning our escape, but can't really make the move until October due to finances etc. Like everyone else, i'm glad i came to Australia even though it's going to be an expensive one. We would only be at home still thinking of making the move to OZ. The best thing that has come out of the move is the realisation that home (UK) is where we belong.

DC