Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For those of you who have always known....

For those of you who have always known....

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:31 am
Just Joined

4 me has a spectacular aura about4 me has a spectacular aura about4 me has a spectacular aura about
Default For those of you who have always known....

...my OH and I have only been in Oz a short time, under 1 year. I have been 99% sure that since week 2 of us being here that actually, I don't want to live here and that actually I want to be where I have a history. It's not that I hate Australia because I don't I just don't "feel it" or fit in. BUT because I analyse everything to death I worry that I'll be going back too soon. SO my question is to those of you who felt like this and stayed because you thought the feeling was either homesickness or that it would just go away - if you could go back to that time would you leave then or stay for as long as you have hoping that things would improve?

I hope I've not complicated what seemed like a simple question in my head!!

I look forward to your replies.

4 ME.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:38 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those of you who have always known....

Originally Posted by 4 me
...my OH and I have only been in Oz a short time, under 1 year. I have been 99% sure that since week 2 of us being here that actually, I don't want to live here and that actually I want to be where I have a history. It's not that I hate Australia because I don't I just don't "feel it" or fit in. BUT because I analyse everything to death I worry that I'll be going back too soon. SO my question is to those of you who felt like this and stayed because you thought the feeling was either homesickness or that it would just go away - if you could go back to that time would you leave then or stay for as long as you have hoping that things would improve?

4 ME.
I have a really simple analysis. It's called the Townmouse and the Countrymouse syndrome. You can't help feeling where you belong and when you don't feel like you belong, your instincts soon tell you.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 4:31 am
Just Joined

jadenblu is an unknown quantity at this point

4 ME.
I agree about instincts, mine kicked in after a few weeks as well. And I'm actually Australian, it's hubby that is English. But after living there and then returning here, it just was not home any more. We tried to make the best of it, bought a house, etc. But after two years, we can't fight instinct any longer and are looking to move back once the house sells.

I don't think I would change the situation though, there are things we've learned by being out here that we would have always wondered about. But I am definitely sure that moving back is the right thing to do!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:03 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

I think the longer you stay the more complicated your situation AND your thoughts become!
I say that once you know you need to go back - make the move within a short period soon after this. Don't hang around and don't waste time.

There's life to be lived elsewhere if it's not right for you here.

Last edited by onepearlyb; Dec 22nd 2008 at 5:07 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

4 ME.
I'd have left then, too late now.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough

4 ME.

Go Back ASAP.
Like yourself I knew within 2 weeks that I didn't want to be here. Just don't belong here and had a much better quality of life in the UK. Been here 16 months and going back in about 3 months time. I would have gone back within a couple of months if it was just me but OH felt differently.
When I arrived I didn't hate OZ (just knew it wasn't for me) but as time has gone by i've found that I have begun to hate everything that is Australia and cannot find one positive aspect of it when friends ask what do you like about Oz, so my advise would be to return as soon as you can.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

I felt that I knew early on but wasn't sure whether to trust my feelings.

We stayed and I'm glad we did because now after 3 1/2 yrs we are absolutely sure that we are doing the right thing in going home.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:56 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Never ever doubt your gut instinct - I felt EXACTLY like you within days of being OZ - OH made me drag it out for 2 years but I knew Oz would never be home - thankfully we returned to the UK in August 2006 and never a day goes by that I don't thank God and my lucky stars that we escaped Australia and find ourselves living back in the UK!!!

To all of you out there wanting to be 'home' - have a happy Christmas and I hope that 2009 brings you home for good.....
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 3:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
I think the longer you stay the more complicated your situation AND your thoughts become!
I say that once you know you need to go back - make the move within a short period soon after this. Don't hang around and don't waste time.

There's life to be lived elsewhere if it's not right for you here.
Exactly
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Ask this question in the main Australia forum as well if you want some balance - there will be plenty in there who say they are glad they stayed even though they thought they wanted to go home for x amount of time after arriving....

Using Cricket's analogy, I don't think I'm a town or a country mouse, I've been mostly happy in both places, partly at least I think because I don't see where I am at any point as being where I will be forever. And partly because hubby is with me and being with him makes me happy (yukky but true).
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Ah retrospect - if only I knew then what I know now. Go back trust your gut. As others have said, things only become more and more complicated.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:18 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by louie
Ask this question in the main Australia forum as well if you want some balance - there will be plenty in there who say they are glad they stayed even though they thought they wanted to go home for x amount of time after arriving....

Using Cricket's analogy, I don't think I'm a town or a country mouse, I've been mostly happy in both places, partly at least I think because I don't see where I am at any point as being where I will be forever. And partly because hubby is with me and being with him makes me happy (yukky but true).
Just out of interest, what are you doing trawling the 'moving back to the UK' forum if you are so happy?
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

beleive it or not. i think i knew we would be going back before we left the UK

we all cried for a fortnight and i kep asking myself why are we doing this if were so upset about leaving everyone behind. But everything was paid for and booked and we'd spent thousands on Visa fees and so on.

i think the thought of living in another country is better and more exciting than actually doing it.

After speaking with loads of migrants even ones that are willing to stay, they say that you never loose the yearning to go home and i dont want to be like that. We've only been here since beginning of September and we fly back 16th January

good luck
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

4 ME.
Join the club............... even though it isn't a great club to be part of!!!!!!!!!!

We came over in 2004, went back after 7 months (me being the driving force behind that one) and returned in June of this year. Now making plans to return.

I was right all along ................

I know exactly how you feel, even this time round when we booked the flights, shipping etc. I had a feeling we were making a mistake but had to go along with it because " it seemed the right thing to do".

Don't beat yourself up over it.

I also over analyse everything and it drives me nuts. I'm always trying to pre-empt (sp?) things and situations and it drives me insane.

I try to see things from EVERY possible angle.....what if this happens and we do this........BUT then what if that happens and we do that.........AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

I JUST WANT TO FEEL SETTLED AND GET ON WITH MY LIFE !!!!!!!! is that too much to ask ???????

Right, now that is off my chest, best of luck to you and believe me you are not the only one who has these feelings.

Chelle xx
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice

You have given it a go moved over here and it has not worked out as you thought it might theres nothing bad in that. If you know deep down you really want to go back and seeing as you have been here nearly a year now then I think it's better to make plans to go now rather then drag it out. Lifes too short to be some where you are not happy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.