Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For those of you who have always known....

For those of you who have always known....

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

jackuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For those of you who have always known....

I am one of the" would be emigrants ", however I have found reading the various views on this forum, very interesting, you can't beat the ,guys and gals that have "been there done that" for some realistic views, , it has given me food for thought and helped scratch my itch a bit ......
I was thinking about the ping -pong poms, and those coming back , and how it must have been for the ten pound poms that were not happy, it must have been heart breaking to be almost trapped out there, for at least two years with no way of getting home , unless you were loaded.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:08 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised at how many people ping pong back and forth especially when they have the luxury of objectivity and hindsight. It's like they become 'lost souls with no resting place'.

For me, it's a case of going back to basics. I think this is the main lesson of the credit crunch. I have a list of plans and things I want to do and once I made the list I then had to come up with a way of achieving them.
We're going home to develop business foremost. As it takes 2 years to really get up and running anyway, I'm not too worried about a recession. The business is a long term plan and I'm not borrowing any money.
Then we're going to buy a building plot, live on site and build our home over the next few years. We've both always wanted to do this.

We're going back to the UK with the intention of putting our combined skills to good use. Bugger the politics, recession, doom and bloomers brigade and the news. I am 50 next week, I'm going home to have an adventure.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like bev1 I knew that I had made a big mistake moving to Oz before we even left the UK. You just go along with everything with the visas being issued, house and business sold etc and there is no turning back. I cried and was still crying before and during the journey!

Never felt settled here or like 'home'. Gave it a go for the family but now after 5 years here we are going home in 2 weeks!

OH and children (17, 14 and 9) all happy to be going home and can't wait to be settled back in to the UK again.

No tears this time but big smiles all the way home!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cricket1
I am surprised at how many people ping pong back and forth especially when they have the luxury of objectivity and hindsight. It's like they become 'lost souls with no resting place'.

For me, it's a case of going back to basics. I think this is the main lesson of the credit crunch. I have a list of plans and things I want to do and once I made the list I then had to come up with a way of achieving them.
We're going home to develop business foremost. As it takes 2 years to really get up and running anyway, I'm not too worried about a recession. The business is a long term plan and I'm not borrowing any money.
Then we're going to buy a building plot, live on site and build our home over the next few years. We've both always wanted to do this.

We're going back to the UK with the intention of putting our combined skills to good use. Bugger the politics, recession, doom and bloomers brigade and the news. I am 50 next week, I'm going home to have an adventure.
Hi Cricket,
You say you are going back for your quoted reasons, and they are as good as any,we all need a reason, but if you didn't have one, what would you do....as in if money and lets face it ,its what its all about for most anyway, one way or another , but if money as no object where would you go ?, half a year in each maybe ?
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:33 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackuk
Hi Cricket,
You say you are going back for your quoted reasons, and they are as good as any,we all need a reason, but if you didn't have one, what would you do....as in if money and lets face it ,its what its all about for most anyway, one way or another , but if money as no object where would you go ?, half a year in each maybe ?
No, I wouldn't stay in Australia. Someone asked me recently how I would describe Australia and I had to say that I would need to leave the place first then give an objective view with hindsight in order to be balanced.
I would try not to be critical but I do know that I am in the wrong place for my work, personality and potential so rather than anything being wrong with Australia, I am in the wrong place.

That said, it wasn't my choice to move here, I came supporting what turned out to be a very devious husband.

If money were no object? I would have been back on a plane to England a long time ago.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

No, I wouldn't stay in Australia. Someone asked me recently how I would describe Australia and I had to say that I would need to leave the place first then give an objective view with hindsight in order to be balanced.
I would try not to be critical but I do know that I am in the wrong place for my work, personality and potential so rather than anything being wrong with Australia, I am in the wrong place.

That said, it wasn't my choice to move here, I came supporting what turned out to be a very devious husband.

If money were no object? I would have been back on a plane to England a long time ago.
So I don't wish to put words is you mouth, but would I be correct to say that you are coming home foremost ....... and then to develope a business and any other reason ?

I ask because I am always interested in the way some folk feel a need to justify there actions with reasons or excuses for either for themselves or others
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:51 pm
Banned

Clicked before I'd finished the last post............I meant to add.....I don't need to do any soul searching, moving to Australia has been the worst time of my life. It's ruined my family relationships, broken my family apart, ruined my work and career prospects and almost sent me broke. There has been little in the way of saving grace here apart from I have now remarried and am very happy with my husband. Other than this, I've met some bloody awful people who I'll be glad to wave goodbye to.

What have I learned in the last 5 years? I've learned never to go against your heart or sacrifice your life to make someone else happy.

I have a simple outlook on life. Whenever I'm unhappy and in all honesty, I'm miserable right now because this is not my kind of Christmas, I always look back in my mind to when i was the happiest in my life.
I've been doing this lately and I know that I was never happier than when I was in my 20's renovating and building my home. I loved living in my static caravan on site and I loved my design stuidio, career as a designer, fantastic people who appreciated my skills and talents, simple pleasures, no excess and no debt.

I am going back to recreate this time in my life because it's what makes me happy and frankly life is too short to be any other way. I do think the key is though, to know what makes you happy before you take off on a life adventure.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jackuk
So I don't wish to put words is you mouth, but would I be correct to say that you are coming home foremost ....... and then to develope a business and any other reason ?

I ask because I am always interested in the way some folk feel a need to justify there actions with reasons or excuses for either for themselves or others
I am going home because I love England, yes, I also have developed a business and career to take back there and yes, that's where I was happiest which is my main reason.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

I am going home because I love England, yes, I also have developed a business and career to take back there and yes, that's where I was happiest which is my main reason.
Very interesting , thanks
Old Dec 24th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
I think the longer you stay the more complicated your situation AND your thoughts become!
I say that once you know you need to go back - make the move within a short period soon after this. Don't hang around and don't waste time.

There's life to be lived elsewhere if it's not right for you here.
I felt like this 4 years ago ...i hated UAE....but my family loved it ...so i stuck it out and am so glad i did......now 4 years on i love it and the quality of family life here etc is so fantastic...i know we will leave one day....but we plan to enjoy it and live life to the fulll here while we can ....
Good luck to those who cant settle and all i will say is really think about it and be 100% sure b4 u make that move xx
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't mind admitting that "lost soul with no resting place" would describe me pretty well. I don't mind admitting this because it's a fact I have become very used to over many years now, and I know I'm not the only one and I also know it's not my fault.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though!
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:22 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Wow glad im not alone in that feeling, I try and explain it to my DH and he does his best to understand bless him but lucky for him he'd sleep and probably settle any were , Im just glad he is happy to go home with me. we leave the 5th of Febuary and I cant wait .
Old Dec 25th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
Well I don't mind admitting that "lost soul with no resting place" would describe me pretty well. I don't mind admitting this because it's a fact I have become very used to over many years now, and I know I'm not the only one and I also know it's not my fault.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though!
A lost soul with no resting place pretty much sums up how I have felt during the time I have lived in Australia. I think I know where my resting place is now (UK), but I can't be 100% certain until I return to live there for a while.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Just out of interest, what are you doing trawling the 'moving back to the UK' forum if you are so happy?
Do not fret betsyboob there aren't that many women who love their husbands, really. Who knows they may even be dying out.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
Wow glad im not alone in that feeling, I try and explain it to my DH and he does his best to understand bless him but lucky for him he'd sleep and probably settle any were , Im just glad he is happy to go home with me. we leave the 5th of Febuary and I cant wait .
I'm looking forward to planning my voyage home.It's a good feeling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.