Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For those of you who have always known....

For those of you who have always known....

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those of you who have always known....

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
I think the longer you stay the more complicated your situation AND your thoughts become!
I say that once you know you need to go back - make the move within a short period soon after this. Don't hang around and don't waste time.

There's life to be lived elsewhere if it's not right for you here.
Could not agree more. Believe me (and I say this from many years of experience) it does get harder and more complicated the longer you stay. For some people they eventually settle and have no problems, but I wouldn't gamble on being one of those lucky people. I'd go home and avoid the potential that things will get a whole lot more complicated in the future.

At least that way you'll know where you belong, and be happy and settled.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:06 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I knew after a couple of weeks that Perth wasn't right for me. Call it gut instinct, I don't know, I just knew.

I tried for 4.5 years to make a life in Oz, and we did have a good life, but not a life I felt I belonged in at all. All I feel I did was assimilate to that life and that's what made the transition of returning back to the UK harder.

My advice? Get out sooner rather than later, it's easier in the long run. Although, you run the risk if you only stay in Oz a short time, of always wondering "What if we'd given it longer?". Damn migration, opens up a huge can of worms doesn't it?
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:09 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Your so right Tracy! One of the worst things I ever did was start travelling!!!!! ;o)
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by theyoungs

I also over analyse everything and it drives me nuts. I'm always trying to pre-empt (sp?) things and situations and it drives me insane.

I try to see things from EVERY possible angle.....what if this happens and we do this........BUT then what if that happens and we do that.........AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Sounds just like me
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: For those of you who have always known....

Perhaps as a joint new years resolution, we should all decide now that we will banish the word "IF" from our vocabulary!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here for 7 months and going back in 5 months. You just know if it's not for you - a bit like meeting the right bloke, you just know when it's right. To my mind, if you know it's not right for you (which has nothing to do with whether you like the Country or not, I for one quite like a lot of it) then why prolong the agony so to speak? Our lives are meant to be in the UK so not much point hanging around really - well, apart from having visitors over the next few months! Then just sorting ourselves out and heading off. Do what you know is right for you, then get on with enjoying your life
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:09 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

I knew as soon as we arrived that i wanted to go home and it just got stronger we are here 7 months ive had a baby here and i am going home in feb only 5 weeks left im scared but so excited to be going home. that feeling never leaves ive only really started to relax and enjoy my self here now that i know we are returning

i also wake up at night and feel unsettled or insecure it doesnt feel right does any on else ever feel like that
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 11:56 am
Just Joined

4 me has a spectacular aura about4 me has a spectacular aura about4 me has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bramblebush
Sounds just like me
Originally Posted by theyoungs
Join the club............... even though it isn't a great club to be part of!!!!!!!!!!

We came over in 2004, went back after 7 months (me being the driving force behind that one) and returned in June of this year. Now making plans to return.

I was right all along ................

I know exactly how you feel, even this time round when we booked the flights, shipping etc. I had a feeling we were making a mistake but had to go along with it because " it seemed the right thing to do".

Don't beat yourself up over it.

I also over analyse everything and it drives me nuts. I'm always trying to pre-empt (sp?) things and situations and it drives me insane.

I try to see things from EVERY possible angle.....what if this happens and we do this........BUT then what if that happens and we do that.........AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

I JUST WANT TO FEEL SETTLED AND GET ON WITH MY LIFE !!!!!!!! is that too much to ask ???????

Right, now that is off my chest, best of luck to you and believe me you are not the only one who has these feelings.

Chelle xx

OMG - are you both Gemini?! That sounds exactly like all the things that have been going through my mind!! It's so nice to know that others are going through and thinking the same things as me - I'm not THAT crazy afterall, yay!!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

4 me has a spectacular aura about4 me has a spectacular aura about4 me has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
You just know if it's not for you - a bit like meeting the right bloke, you just know when it's right.
That is exactly how I have been trying to explain it to the people who don't understand why we want to go back so soon. I knew within 3 weeks of meeting my now husband that he was the one for me - I knew within 2 weeks of being in Oz that it wasn't for me. Why do people feel the need to try to change my mind?? Would they have done the same had I told them about feeling so sure that boyfriend of 3 weeks would become my husband??
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baby75
i also wake up at night and feel unsettled or insecure it doesnt feel right does any on else ever feel like that
All the time, and I think it's most of us on here!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Just out of interest, what are you doing trawling the 'moving back to the UK' forum if you are so happy?
Thanks for the welcome

Why? Partly curiosity, partly trying to help people (usually from a practical point of view rather than advice, mind you) and partly reality check. I think it should be compulsory reading for all would-be emigrants - just as I think the Australia forum should be compulsory reading for all those unhappy in Oz who have forgotten why they left the UK in the first place.

It's very easy to get caught up in the "Oz is horrible" frame of mind, particularly when you are new to the country, lonely and homesick, just as it's easy to get caught up in the "Oz is paradise/UK is going to the dogs" rose-tinted specs view of the place before you make the move. And this sub-forum and the main Oz forum are frequented by people who reinforce those views.

I'm sure most people who go home are happy to do so, but there are many ping pong Poms on BritExpats who no doubt felt they were doing the right thing when they went back to the UK and have since changed their minds. So I think it's important to try and keep a bit of balance and give it a good go, if only because you won't then be thinking what if I'd done this or that/moved to X/stayed a bit longer when it's grey and drizzling like it is here in Sussex today....

You didn't read my location did you?! I have lived in Sydney and will do again, but at the moment I'm happy in England.....
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louie
Thanks for the welcome

I think it should be compulsory reading for all would-be emigrants - just as I think the Australia forum should be compulsory reading for all those unhappy in Oz who have forgotten why they left the UK in the first place.

It's very easy to get caught up in the "Oz is horrible" frame of mind, particularly when you are new to the country, lonely and homesick, just as it's easy to get caught up in the "Oz is paradise/UK is going to the dogs" rose-tinted specs view of the place before you make the move. And this sub-forum and the main Oz forum are frequented by people who reinforce those views.
I totally agree with this first paragraph - everyone should take into account both sides of the story rather than come out here thinking the place will be their paradise. Some aspects will be better than the uk, some will be worse and some will just be different.

With regard to the second part - when we started the 18 month process I was one of those people who slated the UK and wanted to get out ASAP. However, as we went along in the process I began to appreciate the place and everything I had there. In the end I really enjoyed my life there and was really sad to leave. I certainly do not hate Australia and would never go round insulting the place to anyone. Australia is beautiful and I love certain aspects of it but sadly I just know it's not for us, certainly not at this point in our lives. We also do not have rose tinted specs on regards the uk either; nothing is going to have miraculously changed or got better; the weather will still be shit but I'll be quite happy to go back to the life I had before we came here.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Erica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really nice

[QUOTE=Baby75;7093847]I knew as soon as we arrived that i wanted to go home and it just got stronger we are here 7 months ive had a baby here and i am going home in feb only 5 weeks left im scared but so excited to be going home. that feeling never leaves ive only really started to relax and enjoy my self here now that i know we are returning

[/QUOTE

Yep. Often. Also the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is think "Oh, no! Still here. Wonder when I'm going to be back home" Not that I even really hate it here in Canada. I just want to get on with my life in the UK.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
Yes
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:43 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder how many emigrants are 100 happy with the move. I'm not saying none are, but I'm struck by how many aren't. Since we decided to try going back it's brought out a lot of comments, and I can't remember a one that was, "I'd never, ever do that."

I've had people say they'd move back but for the kids or grandkids. Or they'd move back but house prices are too high. Or they've heard it's horrible back there -- said wistfully. Or "it's not like it used to be" again said wistfully. With the economy looking worse at the moment in the UK than in Canada (not sure that's true long term) that's another reason. Or it's just too much of a bother to start afresh now. Such longings, though, and perhaps especially in older people. It seems many would really like to live out their days where they started out, but don't think it's possible. And maybe it's not, or if they tried it wouldn't be what they'd imagined.

I think a deep unsettledness might be the price the emigrant has to pay -- always some longing for home no matter how good life is. In the past most emigrants were driven to it by very poor situations at home and hope for the future generations whose chances were truly dim in the old country. But for most of the people here it was emigration from okay to good to something different and/or a bit better, so it's not surprising if for many the cost turns out to be too high.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.