Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Returning to U.K. from Canada

Thinking of Returning to U.K. from Canada

Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:08 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of Returning to U.K. from Canada

Forgive me for being pedantic y'all, but doesn't Britannia have to n's?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:58 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Forgive me for being pedantic y'all, but doesn't Britannia have to n's?
correct...but to has a W as in two ... sorry couldnt help myself
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:57 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

i am. though i feel that the move really has more to do with my own self doubt than anything in either country. i am only 8mths in, but it has been very, very hard for a variety of reasons i shall not bore you with, and besides i am sure they are pretty much what everyone experiences.

it would be easier to move back now, and i know i am just remembering the good points, just as i only saw the positives in canada. i guess home sickness for all the things so often mentioned and no need to be repeated plays a huge factor.

the question for me is, a brighter future for my family and i, 20yrs hence in canada, or immediate happiness now by returning to familiarity, friends and family in the UK.
one thing is for certain, i have yet to find a canadian biscuit that can stand a good dunking, just lost half a cookie, need the commando hob nob of the biscuit world ala mr. kay.

lastly give howard a break.
howard don't bite.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:59 am
pkc
Forum Regular

pkc will become famous soon enough

Well, it's not exactly the same situation - I lived for 6 years in England, first single and then with my fiance (now husband). We've now relocated to Canada for my sake, so our situation is the reverse of yours! That being said, I enjoyed living in England - I think there's a good chance your OH will love the amount of holidays you get, the ability to travel cheaply to so many amazing places and the sense of history you get everywhere! I found England really pretty, too - not drop your jaw gorgeous like the Rockies but quietly lovely. The downsides for a Canadian I think are the crowding and congestion - you really cannot get your head around hour-long tailbacks due simply to the long weekend traffic until you've actually seen it! (And really, the appalling customer service is so grating when you first encounter it). My main other beef was really just missing the endless blue skies and sunshine that you get in Alberta. But there are so many positives, I think as a Canadian you can really enjoy it especially if there's the possibility that it's not a permanent move- I found it was only in the last few years of living in England that all the things above really grated, which was perhaps delayed culture shock.