Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The Complete Guide To Translating Australian B*llsh*t

The Complete Guide To Translating Australian B*llsh*t

Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:32 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Complete Guide To Translating Australian B*llsh*t

http://www.netstoreusa.com/aubooks/020/0207166951.shtml

I just came across this book on sale which gave me a good idea. We can use this thread as a place to post examples of Aussie b*llsh*t

I read jojosans post elsewhere which would be a good one to start with i shall go copy paste it in here.

BTW.. anyone read the above mentioned book?? I not sure it worth paying for but interested as to its contents
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:35 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Complete Guide To Translating Australian B*llsh*t

Courtesy of jojosan... hope you dont mind!

Interesting article in yesterday's Sunday Mail : "Australian scientists have made the world-first discovery that a pregnant woman's diet determines whether here baby grows into a fat adult". Later, the same article states "The results are supported by a study published last year in the British Journal of Nutrition"!

Is it me?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:51 pm
I don't give a damn

and one from me i just found

The Australian movie 'The Dish' is based on a true story of ingenious Aussie bullshit.
In the Australian outback there are several satellite tracking stations, that are based there because of the absence of interference signals that normally emit from cities.
During an American Apollo mission to the moon it was the job of an Australian base in the town of Parkes in the New South Wales outback to track the Apollo space craft. Unfortunately the power dropped out, and their computers crashed. Normally a backup generator would start but somebody had forgotten to put fuel in it! After the generator was fuelled up and they got the electricity supply restored they turned on their computers again but now they had lost the location of the spacecraft. They could have contacted NASA for an approximate location and then homed in on that but they decided this would be too embarrassing and someone with pen and paper and calculator went to work. Meanwhile NASA was on the phone to check that everything was going well with their multi million dollar mission and astronauts floating around the moon and the Aussies bullshitted them that everything was fine and under control! Nearly a day later the man with the calculator finally figured out where the American spacecraft was and they locked on again and kept pretending to the Americans that everything had been under control all the time!!!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon the one that always gets my goat is the "This is the best bladdy country in the world!" b*llsh*t and the plonker's never stepped foot out of W.A to see anywhere else

Drives me bonkers this totally insular opinion from narrow minded red-necks.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:16 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I reckon the one that always gets my goat is the "This is the best bladdy country in the world!" b*llsh*t and the plonker's never stepped foot out of W.A to see anywhere else

Too true..

Rob from Cape Trib does not have a very high opinion of real estate agents (like most of us) so was selling his B&B Rainforest Hideaway in Cape Tribulation privately and had a buyer interested. Everything was going fine until one day real estate agent Ton Spijker started calling; he wanted Rob to sign up with his agency and said he had an interested buyer. Would you believe it, this buyer turned out to be the same guy!! When Rob asked Ton why he would pay him $16000.- for a couple of hours work to finalize a sale in which Rob himself had already found the buyer and conducted inspections himself, the answer was that the buyer no longer wanted to deal privately and felt safer going through an agent and only wanted to go through Ton.
Some time later, when negotiations through Ton Spijker were not going anywhere leading to a sale, Rob became suspicious and decided to give the buyer a call, and guess what? BSA Ton Spijker had been telling the buyer that Rob no longer wanted to sell privately and only wanted to sell through him, while telling Rob that the buyer only wanted to go through an agent. His plan to make an easy quick buck thus fell to pieces with Rob and the buyer agreeing to deal directly again without the shark in the middle, a complaint against Ton Spijker has been lodged with his boss who amazingly enough replied that there was little basis for complaints!
A quick scan of the real estate agents code of conduct shows at least half a dozen paragraphs stating that an agent should NOT tell lies and NOT give out misleading information, problem is that you have to prove their lies to lodge a complaint so all their verbal lies go unpunished, unless you keep the tape recorder running!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

ree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of light

I think this might count as bulls**t peddling. A so called friend of mine ( grassed me up to the boss about going home - long story) sent me an email at work about the uk banning talk of the holocaust at schools just in case it upsets muslims.
I think he has got the hump about me not staying in "this wonderful country".

Anyway, just been on the bbc website and there was a story about a big memorial service that was held in Liverpool and the fact that over 2000 schools across the country were taking part in commemorative services.

hmmm.... who do i believe - the best tv company in the world or the uk bashing, backstabbing tosser
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:48 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Courtesy of jojosan... hope you dont mind!

Interesting article in yesterday's Sunday Mail : "Australian scientists have made the world-first discovery that a pregnant woman's diet determines whether here baby grows into a fat adult". Later, the same article states "The results are supported by a study published last year in the British Journal of Nutrition"!

Is it me?
it's just another attack on "fat" people..not only are we (the fat people) to blame for a huge burden on health but now we are to blame for our fat children....
the story is that the research was done with rats...so that's ok then we have the same make up as rats...!!!!
they could wait until they have done some proper research on humans.. it is Australian scientist..you can publish articles in any journal in the world if they will accept it.....
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:54 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Tracey there are people like this in the UK too...
i think it's quite funny and rather than getting upset with them...i just smile quietly inside thinking (if only you knew what's out there in the rest of the world)
i think is good that they are happy were they are...rather than moaning about their native land and wandering all over the planet trying to find utopia... seems they have found it ....good for them....
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.netstoreusa.com/aubooks/020/0207166951.shtml

I just came across this book on sale which gave me a good idea. We can use this thread as a place to post examples of Aussie b*llsh*t

I read jojosans post elsewhere which would be a good one to start with i shall go copy paste it in here.

BTW.. anyone read the above mentioned book?? I not sure it worth paying for but interested as to its contents
What about the advertising?

"Supaloc steel buildings - the best in the world". Sorry Mr Advertiser, just 'cos you say it's so, don't make it so!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:19 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by ree76
I think this might count as bulls**t peddling. A so called friend of mine ( grassed me up to the boss about going home - long story) sent me an email at work about the uk banning talk of the holocaust at schools just in case it upsets muslims.
I think he has got the hump about me not staying in "this wonderful country".

Anyway, just been on the bbc website and there was a story about a big memorial service that was held in Liverpool and the fact that over 2000 schools across the country were taking part in commemorative services.

hmmm.... who do i believe - the best tv company in the world or the uk bashing, backstabbing tosser
What a creep!

I have found Ausralians very backstabbing and ruthless at work. I have had several jobs since being here so it wanst just a case of one bad environment. I tend to avoid workplace politics i hate it!! But it is hard to escape here. I am not saying it doesnt happen everywhere but just far more prevalent in Aus I have found.

As an example, one of the Aussies i have been training this week could not help himself in trying to belittle the origins of our new company which started in London.....this is a snippet of the conversation:

Aussie: Ahhh yes but this industry isn the same in England we do things differently here

Me: Really? So have you worked in this industry in UK?

Aussie: No

Me: So how do you know it is different there? Have you used this kind of service in UK and found it different?

Aussie: No, I have never been to UK, but my mate said it is

Me: OK, in what way did he say it is different?

Aussie: Oh I cant remember now

Me: Well your mate was either winding you up, or he was too drunk to know what country he was in becuase apart from 2 minor regulations it is identical

Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
it's just another attack on "fat" people..not only are we (the fat people) to blame for a huge burden on health but now we are to blame for our fat children....
the story is that the research was done with rats...so that's ok then we have the same make up as rats...!!!!
they could wait until they have done some proper research on humans.. it is Australian scientist..you can publish articles in any journal in the world if they will accept it.....

You're not Australian, are you? (sorry, just joking!)

I think the main point is that many Australians (such as the media) seem desperate to raise the Aussie world profile - even to the point of just repeating information or research already completed elsewhere.

Another newspaper article we read the other day (talking about business/finance issues), said "there's a famous saying, 'when America coughs, Australia catches a cold'". They skew everything to suit themselves, the actual "famous" phrase is, "when America sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold"!!!!!

Everything has to be Australia-centric - they are just so full of themselves. Chips and Shoulders, I reckon..!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:24 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by why
Tracey there are people like this in the UK too...
i think it's quite funny and rather than getting upset with them...i just smile quietly inside thinking (if only you knew what's out there in the rest of the world)
i think is good that they are happy were they are...rather than moaning about their native land and wandering all over the planet trying to find utopia... seems they have found it ....good for them....

Why.. we are just using this a whinge fest to offload and get some of lifes irritations off our chest. Yes I know things happens elsewhere, but this is dedicated to Aussies

(I estimated about an hour and was pretty spot on)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:29 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Fark me people, you made a mistake and now you look like fools to all your 'mates' back in the UK, stop blaming the country you inflicted your sorry selves on and get over it!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

(I estimated about an hour and was pretty spot on)

Hmmm... they just cannot help having a nose at this forum, can they??

Much more interesting discussions, clearly
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:31 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Fark me people, you made a mistake and now you look like fools to all your 'mates' back in the UK, stop blaming the country you inflicted your sorry selves on and get over it!
And what time do you call this??? You're late!!! I was expecting you at least an hour ago

Oh... and shut up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.