Thinking of moving back

Old May 31st 2018, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Rogerb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving back

I’ve been in Canada 30+ years now but as I get older I’m thinking more and more of moving back. There’s a couple of complications, firstly I’ve no idea on my NI number, I’m assuming I’d need that to work and get a doctor. My wife should be able to get Greek citizenship , both her parents were born in Greece, so assuming we come back before Brexit I’m not forseeing an issue there but if we delay will that cause issues?
Its quite possible in coming back id retire but I’m still 3 years or so away which will be post Brexit. Our combined pensions and rrsp withdrawals will exceed the 18,600 but does that count?
Old May 31st 2018, 12:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving back

You'll need a NINO in order to work but not to see a doctor. NI contributions only affect your state pension entitlement, not your access to the NHS. As a British citizen ordinarily resident in the UK you'll be eligible for full NHS care from day one.

Check here for your NINO: https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Providing your wife arrives in the UK on a Greek passport before the end of the transitional period on 31 December 2020 then she should be able to work towards the new settled status.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/status-o...u-need-to-know

You can use both your and your wife's pensions and non-employment income to meet the financial requirements for a spouse visa although avoiding that as an EU citizen would be much preferable.

Last edited by BritInParis; May 31st 2018 at 12:14 pm.
Old May 31st 2018, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rogerb123
I’ve been in Canada 30+ years now but as I get older I’m thinking more and more of moving back. There’s a couple of complications, firstly I’ve no idea on my NI number, I’m assuming I’d need that to work and get a doctor. My wife should be able to get Greek citizenship , both her parents were born in Greece, so assuming we come back before Brexit I’m not forseeing an issue there but if we delay will that cause issues?
Its quite possible in coming back id retire but I’m still 3 years or so away which will be post Brexit. Our combined pensions and rrsp withdrawals will exceed the 18,600 but does that count?
You may wish to consider paying voluntary National Insurance contribution in order to get a bigger UK state pension in the future.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Old May 31st 2018, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

No one really knows what will happen on Brexit as everything seems so confused and the UK government does not seem to be able to get anything through parliament.
The 18,600 is income from work, pensions. Your RRSP withdrawal is cash which needs to be 62,500GBP.
If it was me I'd go before Brexit, rent a place and see what happens.
As a UK citizen getting a NI number is simple just google how to do it and follow the instructions.