SA Teacher teaching in UK

Old May 31st 2018, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Quentinb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question SA Teacher teaching in UK

Hi All,

This is my second post, the first one was in the wrong place and this will definitely not my last.
We are planning on moving to the UK from South-Africa. I am pretty sorted with work, but my wife will have to do something. I hold a British passport but my wife does not.
She is a South-African 3 year degree qualified teacher with 20 years experience and currently teaching 6 year old kids(pre-primary) at a private school.

Will she be able to teach in the UK or is there some sort of course or something she first has to do to be recognised as a teacher in the UK and will her qualifications be recognised?
Also, with her qualifications what Scale/Spine Point will be starting on?

Thanks
Old May 31st 2018, 12:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SA Teacher teaching in UK

She can teach at a private school but her qualifications won't be recognised in the state sector. For this she will need to attend an accredited training programme in order to be given QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). In the private sector her salary scale will depend on the individual school.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Quentinb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link, I suppose she will then be seen as a new qualified teacher in the state sector and I suppose one cannot do the accredited training programme online before we arrive? I will do some reading on the provided link and contact them directly with more questions. Starting from the bottom again might not be worth it for her.

Thank You
Old May 31st 2018, 12:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quentinb
Thanks for the link, I suppose she will then be seen as a new qualified teacher in the state sector and I suppose one cannot do the accredited training programme online before we arrive? I will do some reading on the provided link and contact them directly with more questions. Starting from the bottom again might not be worth it for her.

Thank You
That I'm not sure about. If she teaches in the private sector now then it might make sense to stay in the private sector, at least initially.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For purposes of education, Scotland is a separate jurisdiction. There is no "UK Ministry of Education"

Important Policies for Teachers Qualified Outside Scotland | General Teaching Council for Scotland