Reload this Page >

Thinking of going back to the UK

Thinking of going back to the UK

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:49 pm
TBP
Just Joined

TBP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of going back to the UK

After being here 5 years we are looking for jobs back in the UK. I did look on the "moving back to the UK" forum but someone else had posted a similar question and it was recommended that they ask on the USA forum. Quick history - met and married US husband 8 years ago. We were married in the UK and moved to the US 3 years later. His indefinite leave to remain in the UK is now invalid. I have a US green card.
We are anxious to know if anyone else has started this process and if so could you help with the following:
1. Do I need to get a job and accommodation before he can join me in the UK?
2. Could he go back as a returning resident?
3. Can a family member act as a sponsor if I haven't got a job?
4. How long does it take to get a spouse visa (through San Fransisco)?
5. Anything else we should know!!
Many thanks
TBP
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of going back to the UK

Sorry to give you the runaround, and you may get some replies here, but the more up to date info is in this forum: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...swivespartners
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely the wrong forum, but I did investigate going the other way.

UK Gov needs you to show that you will not be a public charge, so much less formal than the US. Savings etc should do it.

As far as timlines are concerned, a month if you are not in a hurry, a few days if you are.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:16 pm
TBP
Just Joined

Many Thanks,
I'll go to UK Yankee!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TBP
After being here 5 years we are looking for jobs back in the UK. I did look on the "moving back to the UK" forum but someone else had posted a similar question and it was recommended that they ask on the USA forum. Quick history - met and married US husband 8 years ago. We were married in the UK and moved to the US 3 years later. His indefinite leave to remain in the UK is now invalid. I have a US green card.
We are anxious to know if anyone else has started this process and if so could you help with the following:
3. Can a family member act as a sponsor if I haven't got a job?
4. How long does it take to get a spouse visa (through San Fransisco)?
5. Anything else we should know!!
Many thanks
TBP
Just a suggestion, but you might want to look into becoming a USC before you guys move back to the UK again. That way in the future if you should decide to move back to the USA, you won't have to re-do all your immigration again either. If you move permanently back to the UK, you could be giving up your green card.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TBP
His indefinite leave to remain in the UK is now invalid.
How do you know?

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TBP
Maybe. Did you look at the information for returning residents at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

It would have been a lot easier if he had become a British citizen. Have you thought about becoming an American citizen?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:38 pm
TBP
Just Joined

Thank you everyone.