Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need urgent medical advice for flying

Need urgent medical advice for flying

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:21 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Need urgent medical advice for flying

Before I go on, can I just state, I know I should not be doing this, and yes i know it is a risk, but i have no choice.

I am still in recovery from pneumonia, although my last chest xray was clear i caught a chest infection from my grandaughter. I am getting better but still needing an inhaler and cannot walk too far.
This morning my OH, who is still in Sydney, collapsed outside the bank and was taken to the hospital in a great deal of stomach pain. He is very unwell.
I am frantically looking for a flight to get back to him. Looks like Thursday is my best bet.

Any advice to help my trip be a bit easier on my chest? I am too scared to ask for help at the airport in case they say i cant fly.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need urgent medical advice for flying

That sounds awful. I suppose make sure you take all your meds, if the chest x ray was clear you must be on the mend.
How long a flight is it?
OK I figured it out, long haul UK to Aus Yikes thats a long way when you are sick.
Is there family there to see to him?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:40 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That sounds awful. I suppose make sure you take all your meds, if the chest x ray was clear you must be on the mend.
How long a flight is it?
OK I figured it out, long haul UK to Aus Yikes thats a long way when you are sick.
Is there family there to see to him?
I am trying to get the quickest flight which will be nearly 22hrs with quick flight connection at Singapore.
We have no family there. My friend said she is going to see him in the morning for me.

I will have all my meds. I am just a bit worried about coping with all the trudging about with bags and not sure how the pressurised air in the plane would affect my lungs
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:45 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I would tell the flight attendents just after take of if I were you, just incase you do feel unwell and at least they will know why and will know what to do.

Good luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Flea, this is definitely your annus horribilis isnt it? When you get a moment, I think your year is worth a book!

If you could have a quick chat with your GP before you go, you may be able to allay your fears. Travel light and we will all be sending good vibes for the both of you.

Take care and good luck!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the GP can give you some meds for just in case on the plane, something that'll open up your lungs. My boys had asthma and had the hand held nebulizers (sp) with Albuterol in them.
I was thinking about this during lunch
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Please, please make an urgent appointment with your GP about this.

The last thing your hubby needs is for you to be laid up in Singapore for a couple of weeks...or worse.

I do understand that this must be a stressful time for you.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:12 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by quoll
Oh Flea, this is definitely your annus horribilis isnt it? When you get a moment, I think your year is worth a book!

If you could have a quick chat with your GP before you go, you may be able to allay your fears. Travel light and we will all be sending good vibes for the both of you.

Take care and good luck!
I think i might write a book if i still have my sanity after all this.

I have to admit it is all starting to get to me. I have been coping fairly well until now, but my man is the most amazing person in the world. I owe him so much and love him more than life itself.
I broke down this afternoon and could not stop sobbing for over an hour. The crazy thing about all this stuff is the fact that there is sod al i could have done to prevent any of it. All the trials and tribulations have been bad luck.

I am consoling my having to return to Aus with the fact that i dont care if i had to go stay in Bagdhad, I would go anywhere if it meant being with my husband when he needs me.

Thanks for the kind wishes Quoll, and everyone else. I havent been much fun in here lately and i appologise for that.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:14 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Please, please make an urgent appointment with your GP about this.

The last thing your hubby needs is for you to be laid up in Singapore for a couple of weeks...or worse.

I do understand that this must be a stressful time for you.
Thanks Mummy and Ozzidoc.

I already have an inhaler and a nebulizer. I think I will be ok. Maybe adrenilin is kicking in but i feel stronger physically than i have done for a while. Mentally is another story though!!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

No advice Flea just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you.
Your year can't get any worse
Positive vibes being sent

Lynne x
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you work something out soon and get back to him
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Can't offer any advice apart from talk to a doctor about it.

I can say that I'll be thinking about you and wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Good Luck!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:05 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Before I go on, can I just state, I know I should not be doing this, and yes i know it is a risk, but i have no choice.

I am still in recovery from pneumonia, although my last chest xray was clear i caught a chest infection from my grandaughter. I am getting better but still needing an inhaler and cannot walk too far.
This morning my OH, who is still in Sydney, collapsed outside the bank and was taken to the hospital in a great deal of stomach pain. He is very unwell.
I am frantically looking for a flight to get back to him. Looks like Thursday is my best bet.

Any advice to help my trip be a bit easier on my chest? I am too scared to ask for help at the airport in case they say i cant fly.
Bloody hell Flea, this is just crap luck on top of bloody crap luck. Hope you manage to sort something out, just remember to take it easy yourself too. Get well wishes to husband.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

PM'd you Flea
Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:11 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Thanks Mummy and Ozzidoc.

I already have an inhaler and a nebulizer. I think I will be ok. Maybe adrenilin is kicking in but i feel stronger physically than i have done for a while. Mentally is another story though!!
Flea, I would go to the doctor and get a fitness to fly certificate and then when you book your tickets, ask for disabled assistance.

I know they do this as they offered it to me when I flew back with an injured leg.

You will be driven from A to B in their little motorised car things they have in the airport, you wont have to carry your luggage and oxygen will be made available to you on the flight, once again when I flew with Cyprus Airways and there was a drop in cabin pressure and I was struggling with my asthma, I was offered oxygen.

Have the fitness to fly certificate with you, but at least if you have booked assistance then you wont have to struggle alone.

But get to the doctor first and get checked out as 22 hours is a long time if you get into respiratory distress and have to be offloaded at Singapore.

Wish I could help Flea I really do, it must be awful for you and my thoughts are with you and your husband.

Keep us posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.