Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking about returing to the UK....

Thinking about returing to the UK....

Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

meph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about returing to the UK....

After lurking here for a wee while it’s time to post….

We’re just starting our fifth year in the USA, and I’ve recently came to the conclusion that I have a growing desire to return to live in Southern Scotland / Northern England, but I’d settle for pretty much anywhere in the UK or even Europe in general.

We have 4 kids, the last one born here in the USA about eighteen months ago. There are a lot of great things in the US but I’m unable to settle and having dragged this decision out for the last couple of years it’s now time to get this rolling.

I’m giving myself six months from now to make this happen, the only major concern I have is finding a job back in the UK. The prospect of moving back to the UK without a job and effectually spending our entire life savings in doing so, is a tad unnerving.

Should I try and find an employer in the UK before we return or should i wing it and hope it works out later?

Thx!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about returing to the UK....

Originally Posted by meph

We’re just starting our fifth year in the USA, and I’ve recently came to the conclusion that I have a growing desire to return to live in Southern Scotland / Northern England, but I’d settle for pretty much anywhere in the UK or even Europe in general.

We have 4 kids, the last one born here in the USA about eighteen months ago. There are a lot of great things in the US but I’m unable to settle and having dragged this decision out for the last couple of years it’s now time to get this rolling.

I’m giving myself six months from now to make this happen, the only major concern I have is finding a job back in the UK. The prospect of moving back to the UK without a job and effectually spending our entire life savings in doing so, is a tad unnerving.

Should I try and find an employer in the UK before we return or should i wing it and hope it works out later?

Thx!
Definitely get a job before moving the whole family!

You may find that you'll have to go back on your own first, find a job and accommodation, before the rest of the family can join you.

In the current economic climate I would think of this move as a long-term project, and be prepared to be separated for a while.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Economically I wouldn’t be able to pay my US mortgage and scout around in the UK looking for a job at the same time, any move is likely to involve us all going back to the UK together then renting a house then me trying to find a job. As painful as that sounds is the best option fiscally.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:29 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

You can look at employment opportunities in the UK on the web, because it's going to depend a lot on your skills and the type of work you want.

An example is Flea's husband, a psychiatric nurse, who clearly was in great demand, so they could return with little risk.

You have to have some idea of how much in demand you will be, and that can shape your decision.

I assume your spouse is on side with this?

Bev
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meph

Thx!
What's your status in the USA? If you have green cards, be careful about abandoning them.

Also consider the impact of your children having different nationalities.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:56 am
Just Joined

I'm a manager - Purchasing / Logistics / supply chain etc There's a lot of vacancies on the web but little interest since I'm on the other side of the Atlantic.

My spouse is on board but less enthusiastic about leaving than I am

We all have Green cards except for the baby who has both a US and a British passport. The Green cards were a pain in the ass to get, but i can't see us needing them again.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:39 pm
h20
Just Joined

h20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy, are you really sure about giving up your green card, like the previous thread stated, I would really think hard about this..!! How many other people would love to have your opportunity, especially for your family. Mind you, it also depends on your lifestyle and where you are located..

If you decide to return back to the UK, all the best especially with the economic situation...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to give up your green card directly you leave the US or could you hang onto it. Mine is a permanent 10year card so when I return to the UK I think I can hold onto it.
Your children are young enough to slip back into UK society but dont leave it too long.
Anyone tell you they cannot do as good in the UK its not true. Depends on how hard you want to work with them. I have 3 children born in the Uk brought up in the US all went to University got good jobs.
I have a brother in the UK who has 4 children all went to University and have good jobs. You just have to spend time with them.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply to leave the country for more than a year with the green card
If you leave without a readmission permit and are gone for more than 12mths they consider your green card as surrendered.
http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/reentry-permit.html
I came back 11.5 mths after leaving, and the INS guy laughed and said I was cutting it a bit fine.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:35 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Do you have to give up your green card directly you leave the US or could you hang onto it. Mine is a permanent 10year card so when I return to the UK I think I can hold onto it.
Your green card is a valid 'permanent residence' card for 10 years. But it is only 'permanent' so long as you are 'resident' in the USA. In fact, technically, the moment you leave the US 'intending' to leave the US you have abandoned your residence, and thus, your green card is no longer valid.

Of course, they are not sticklers on that point. Someone at USICS would have to go out of their way to make the case that you have abandoned residence--show you sold your home, car, cut up your bank accounts, etc. They don't really have time for this.

But after six months overseas, the burden falls on you to prove you HAVE NOT abandoned residence. At your point of entry you may be asked to show bank accounts in the US, a home or mortgage in the US, a job, etc. Something that shows your absence for >6 months was only temporary.

After 12 months it is considered a 'fact' that you have abandoned residence. You can go into secondary screening and all sorts of silliness.

There are ways around it, as noted above. You can apply for a re-entry permit, or if you are working overseas for a US company you can get another type of form I think.

But MANY folks with green cards get 'caught' by this, thinking their card is valid for life or whatever and then come back to discover the shock of having to start all over again with the process.

We have a wiki on this: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Green_Card_Abandonment

For the OP: Consider getting a re-entry permit. It will allow you to extend your job hunt in the UK to over a year or so instead of just 12 months. If you have read this board you'll find there are some who return only to realize months later that it wasn't the best decision, no matter how clear it looked from the US/Canada/Australia. While it seems right, makes sense, etc. now, a minor filing with USICS will give you some insurance to come back, just in case...

Good luck
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about returning to the UK....

All good advice provided so far, to which I'll add my perspective ... bear in mind the possibility that within a month, 6 months, a year, you may think "Oh cr*p what have we done?" I sincerely hope your move back works out and you are happy back in the UK (as many on MBTTUK are), but it doesn't always work out that way. Nothing to do with the UK being no good, more to do with human nature and often not realising how you'll feel in a certain situation until you are in it (regardless of how much forward planning you do, or how certain you are).
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, dh has essentially dictated 'through inaction' that a move back to the UK is not possible because 'it will ruin the kids lives'. I am totally heartbroken. Can't stop crying. I just want to be home and would force the issue if he'd got himself in the position to actually get work back here should it all go pear shape in the UK. I've spent so long getting schools, accommodation and friends there that I can't believe it's all going to waste. This was our absolute last chance to get back. Honestly, I feel like my life just has no meaning at present, can't bear to keep going with this empty feeling in my life. I just yearn for England in a way I can't describe.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Well, dh has essentially dictated 'through inaction' that a move back to the UK is not possible because 'it will ruin the kids lives'. I am totally heartbroken. Can't stop crying. I just want to be home and would force the issue if he'd got himself in the position to actually get work back here should it all go pear shape in the UK. I've spent so long getting schools, accommodation and friends there that I can't believe it's all going to waste. This was our absolute last chance to get back. Honestly, I feel like my life just has no meaning at present, can't bear to keep going with this empty feeling in my life. I just yearn for England in a way I can't describe.
PM-ed you Ezzie.

I guess there has to be one in a family that gives all, and it looks as if it is going to be you, mate. {{{hugs}}}
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:01 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Oh crap. There's not much I can say that will help, but over the next few days, try to do things that are important for you - let everyone else take care of themselves and you take care of you. If you need to take a 2-day jolly with a couple of good friends, or spend the week's grocery money on new shoes, just do it. And don't bottle it in - get on here and have a rant whenever you need.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Oh crap. There's not much I can say that will help, but over the next few days, try to do things that are important for you - let everyone else take care of themselves and you take care of you. If you need to take a 2-day jolly with a couple of good friends, or spend the week's grocery money on new shoes, just do it. And don't bottle it in - get on here and have a rant whenever you need.
Agreed.
Sod the lot of 'em they can look after themselves, go do something for yourself and have a good cry. I know I would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.