Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Things of interest to see and do in England!

Things of interest to see and do in England!

Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Things of interest to see and do in England!

Originally Posted by mary1
I'm surprised that as an emigration expert you do not insist that they are British......... whether they like it or not .....just like the Northern Irish Catholics!
Hi JAJ
I remember in a discussion ages ago that you were adamant that Northern Irish people were British whether they wanted to be or not.(My Northern Irish-Catholic- husband is pretty adamant that he is Irish and not British).

So with that in mind I would have thought that you would have thought all Shetlanders should be British or Scottish and not Scandanavian.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:59 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JAJ
I remember in a discussion ages ago that you were adamant that Northern Irish people were British whether they wanted to be or not.(My Northern Irish-Catholic- husband is pretty adamant that he is Irish and not British).

So with that in mind I would have thought that you would have thought all Shetlanders should be British or Scottish and not Scandanavian.
I suppose the thing is that how your husband views himself is not necessarily the same as his legal status, since he is (presumably) a British citizen and (presumably) also an Irish citizen (or could be an Irish citizen if he wanted to be). In his case, he could, of course, renounce his British citizenship and be solely an Irish citizen - and at present (and for the foreseeable future) he would be able to live in the UK as an Irish citizen.

The case of the Shetlanders is subtly different though - it is a question of whether they see themselves as fully Scottish or not, not of whether they see themselves as fully British or not: there is no question but that they see themselves (in the main) as British, and they are of course British citizens, while at the same time being very proud of their Nordic heritage.

And in any case, whether or not they see themselves as Scottish and whether or not they like to think of Shetland as part of Scotland, there is no question but that Shetland is part of Scotland for official and legislative purposes and so on.

Also, my strong suspicion is that for most Shetlanders this whole matter is felt rather lightly and is not something that is allowed to interfere with the important matters of day-to-day living.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CPW
I suppose the thing is that how your husband views himself is not necessarily the same as his legal status, since he is (presumably) a British citizen and (presumably) also an Irish citizen (or could be an Irish citizen if he wanted to be). In his case, he could, of course, renounce his British citizenship and be solely an Irish citizen - and at present (and for the foreseeable future) he would be able to live in the UK as an Irish citizen.

The case of the Shetlanders is subtly different though - it is a question of whether they see themselves as fully Scottish or not, not of whether they see themselves as fully British or not: there is no question but that they see themselves (in the main) as British, and they are of course British citizens, while at the same time being very proud of their Nordic heritage.

And in any case, whether or not they see themselves as Scottish and whether or not they like to think of Shetland as part of Scotland, there is no question but that Shetland is part of Scotland for official and legislative purposes and so on.

Also, my strong suspicion is that for most Shetlanders this whole matter is felt rather lightly and is not something that is allowed to interfere with the important matters of day-to-day living.
My reply was directed at JAJ........
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My reply was directed at JAJ.......

In reference to: "(My Northern Irish-Catholic- husband is pretty adamant that he is Irish and not British).".

British citizenship is not dependent on religious affiliation.

As part of the "Belfast Agreement 1998" the British government made an essentially political statement that those in British citizens born in Northern Ireland who did not wish to be regarded as British wouldn't be. This however does not cancel anyone's British citizenship under the law.

In practice, as Irish citizens can access most of the same rights in the UK as British citizens (eg voting), this policy is not going to be tested in any serious way. A future government could change it very easily (as well as limit or abolish the special rights given to Irish citizens in the United Kingdom).

In such a circumstance, with those from the Republic of Ireland no longer entitled to automatic permanent residence in the United Kingdom, Northern Irish Catholics might value their British citizenship more than at present.

If your husband really doesn't want to be a British citizen and would prefer to be solely Irish then there is a way to achieve this:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...ionality.html?

Links are provided (in section BN18) to form RN1 and the associated guide for those wishing to renounce their British citizenship.

Persons who renounce British citizenship for a reason other than obtaining or retaining another citizenship have no automatic entitlement to resume it should they change their mind later on.

Very few Northern Irish Catholics choose to take the step of signing away their British citizenship.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 27th 2005 at 10:56 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:34 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

My reply was directed at JAJ........
Yes, I know that. That doesn't mean that I can't express an opinion though... Sorry if I offended.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sue
OMG a little peice of home......I come from the next town to Owlpen manor, born and bred there for 18 years until I left to join the army and embark on my travels. All my family still live there and I go back as often as I can.

Used to spend loads of my time wandering the fields around Uley, (the village surrounding the manor), when I was a kid and plenty as an adult walking my dog. You've made me really homesick.....what am I doing abroad when I used to have all that beauty on my doorstep?

Thanks for sharing and reminding me that "There's no place like home"

Sue
Hmm, Uley, home of Old Spot and Pig's Ear beer. Nice.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Things of interest to see and do in England!

Originally Posted by CPW
Yes, I know that. That doesn't mean that I can't express an opinion though... Sorry if I offended.
No offence!
I should put more smiley things on my posts so that people know I like discussions with different opinions and ideas and that I'm not having a go at them!
However.......
I do think that it's rude and ignorant for people to refer to England when they mean Britain. Scotland isn't a COUNTY of England it is a different country and a hell of a lot of my ancestors died to keep our culture alive........not that I don't like England....I have a lot of English friends.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:31 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

I do think that it's rude and ignorant for people to refer to England when they mean Britain. Scotland isn't a COUNTY of England it is a different country...
I agree - it's either rude or ignorant, usually. I don't really think of myself as Scottish but my mother was, so I supposed I'm biased, but still... I could certainly identify with Andrew Murray's irritation when some American interviewer, after a tennis match, asked him "how does it feel to be a young Englishman [etc, etc]?" I don't think the interviewer got the point even after it had been forcefully made by Murray!

And it always grates too when people who are not from the UK/Great Britain talk about "British" when they really mean "English" - "so-and-so's got a strong British accent" you often hear people say (again, typically Americans, I suppose) when what they usually mean is "English accent".

I guess it's complicated or people would get it right more than they do.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:52 am
Banned

bourassa is on a distinguished road

No offence!
..not that I don't like England....I have a lot of English friends.
You know what they think of people that use this kind of sentences in England?
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bourassa
You know what they think of people that use this kind of sentences in England?
No...go on tell me .............as long as you are being nice....!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Things of interest to see and do in England!

Originally Posted by CPW
I agree - it's either rude or ignorant, usually. I don't really think of myself as Scottish but my mother was, so I supposed I'm biased, but still... I could certainly identify with Andrew Murray's irritation when some American interviewer, after a tennis match, asked him "how does it feel to be a young Englishman [etc, etc]?" I don't think the interviewer got the point even after it had been forcefully made by Murray!

And it always grates too when people who are not from the UK/Great Britain talk about "British" when they really mean "English" - "so-and-so's got a strong British accent" you often hear people say (again, typically Americans, I suppose) when what they usually mean is "English accent".

I guess it's complicated or people would get it right more than they do.
Yes! I think they should educate all tourists to the UK on the English/British thing...give them a test before they get off the plane.....then again I am getting annoyed at petty things....just as well I don't work in the tourist industry.........I'd be a real Basil Fawlty!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:28 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

No...go on tell me .............as long as you are being nice....!
They think they are racist
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by possoms
They think they are racist
I'm quite the opposite.....I hate racism.