Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Things of interest to see and do in England!

Things of interest to see and do in England!

Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:39 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things of interest to see and do in England!

Originally Posted by Grayling
No one's mentioned the Peak district

..............My back yard

G
He mentioned Chatsworth
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Things of interest to see and do in England!

Originally Posted by kendodd
(Anyone know the name of the medieval village in Suffolk? Westhoe or something?)
My guess is that you are referring to Kentwell Hall?

I will never forget one day out we had there.....our daughter went on a school trip to Kentwell Hall and enjoyed it so much that she asked us to go there again for a family day out. We went there during one of their Easter events (re-creation of a typical Tudor Springtime activity) and it was wonderful...all the lambs were out in the fields and the daffodils and tulips were out.

Unfortunately our daughter (then aged about 9) had a very bad ending to her day. There is a large moat behind the Hall and her little brother pushed her in it! We returned home with a very wet girl and there was worse to come. My daughter went into the kitchen and there was a terrible scream. We had left a window open downstairs and our neighbour's cat had climbed in.....unfortunately it seems that our daughter hadn't secured the cage where her gerbils lived and she saw one of her gerbil's in the cat's mouth. It had eaten the head of her pet..... :scared: (The cat was booted into the garden...)

Anyway....Kentwell Hall is a wonderful day out - they have a calendar of events on their website:

http://www.kentwell.co.uk/

We lived in the Epping Forest area of Essex and there are some lovely towns and villages on the Essex/Suffolk border.....Clare, Leventhorpe, Thaxted etc. (they were all prosperous wool towns in this area in Medieval times).

Another place we liked to visit was Castle Hedingham on the Essex/Suffolk border with its enormous Norman Castle and we would enjoy having a picnic in the grounds, although apart from the castle there isn't a lot to do there, although the large town of Sudbury is nearby....

http://www.castles-abbeys.co.uk/Hedingham-Castle.html

Great Ideas for days out can be found here:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

I also love to visit Bath, my husband's home city of Bristol as I love the Downs at Clifton (the famous Clifton suspension bridge was built by Brunel!), Ludlow in Shropshire - beautiful timber framed black and white Tudor buildings and Castle there and it's been often used for television films - and someday I'd love to visit Chester. Tintern Abbey and the local area on the English/Welsh border is lovely too....some very nice B&Bs there.

It is so dull here in New Jersey in comparison! In our town, the oldest house has just been demolished - a pre-Revolutionary farm house built in the mid-1700s. It was listed on the Historic Register but it doesn't 'preserve' buildings....it was demolished as the new owners wanted to build a 'McMansion' on the plot of land instead. How sad.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:46 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It is so dull here in New Jersey in comparison! In our town, the oldest house has just been demolished - a pre-Revolutionary farm house built in the mid-1700s. It was listed on the Historic Register but it doesn't 'preserve' buildings....it was demolished as the new owners wanted to build a 'McMansion' on the plot of land instead. How sad.

That's just criminal. It's appaling that someone can knock down a piece of history just like that.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
There were lots of things we didn't get to see though. I've never been to Glasgow and would love to; I'd like to head to Cornwall to see the Eden project; spend some time in the New Forest; go back to Whitby (first place I ever went on holiday without my parents! There was a group of four girls; we went mad for a week. I was 15!) and spend some time exploring the moors in Yorkshire.

Still, all in good time.

GG
Hey, I'm from Whitby!!! We'll be going back for a month next summer and I can't wait! Has anybody mentioned the Forbidden Corner in the Yorkshire Dales or kayaking up in Scotland yet?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Before we left the UK, Mr GG and I had a week-long holiday, touring around Britain (well, England I suppose. Technically.). In all honesty, it was one of the best trips we've ever taken (and we're a fairly well-travelled pair!). We started in Oxford, travelled up to Newcastle, headed across to the Lake District, went to Mallam Cove, called in to Manchester and then across to Leeds and Sheffield before heading home via Cheddar Gorge. Much of the itinerary was dictated by the location of friends that we visited en-route, but there was so much fabulous countryside, so many abbeys/churches, museums etc. It really, really made me appreciate what I'm giving up by being here.

There were lots of things we didn't get to see though. I've never been to Glasgow and would love to; I'd like to head to Cornwall to see the Eden project; spend some time in the New Forest; go back to Whitby (first place I ever went on holiday without my parents! There was a group of four girls; we went mad for a week. I was 15!) and spend some time exploring the moors in Yorkshire.

Still, all in good time.

GG
I've been to the Eden project a couple of times and it is a wonderful place to visit. It makes you feel very happy being around nature, it is well worth a visit. We also went there one evening for a rock concert and that was also really special. They feature traditional music and have bands from all over the world, we saw an African band. The event was very peaceful. They also had concerts their at the same time as Bob Geldoff was doing his G8 concerts and again they stuck to very traditional music.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:30 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
No one's mentioned the Peak district

..............My back yard

G

awww G...

I will mention it....my list is far longer than my budget sadly but at least I am here.!!

Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:37 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

....what about Blackpool illuminations?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my favourite places:

Berkley Castle - (Where Edward II was murdered)
http://www.berkeley-castle.com/

Gloucester Cathedral - (Where Edward II was buried and some of the scenes in the Harry Potter movies were filmed)
http://www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk/

Salisbury Cathedral - Where you can see one of the 4 original copies of the Magna Carta.
http://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/index.php

St Michael's Mount - Medieval Monastery and Castle in Cornwall (Sister monastery to Mont St. Michael in France)
http://www.stmichaelsmount.co.uk/
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Things of interest to see and do in England!

Another lovely part of England is the New Forest:

http://www.newforest-online.co.uk/

and I've just read in my latest (UK) edition of "Marie Claire" magazine about these adventure experiences eg. abseiling on forest suspension bridges and canopies for anyone aged 10 and up in various forests in England (there is one - Moors Valley - in the New Forest):

http://www.goape.co.uk
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:56 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Another lovely part of England is the New Forest:

http://www.newforest-online.co.uk/

and I've just read in my latest (UK) edition of "Marie Claire" magazine about these adventure experiences eg. abseiling on forest suspension bridges and canopies for anyone aged 10 and up in various forests in England (there is one - Moors Valley - in the New Forest):

http://www.goape.co.uk
Don't flame me for this please but just look at the size of the list you have all made so far with all those great and all very different places on it. Why are we all coming or have come to Australia. I know a few people reading this will start bleating on about all the great things to see and do in Oz, but there really is no comparison. To all you people not here yet please make the effort to go see all the places mentioned first before you come here. You will regret it if you don't.

Did anyone mention the yorvik center in york?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:17 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't feed the trolls!! Let's try and have one thread that doesn't descend into my Dad being bigger than your Dad!

Originally Posted by arkon
Don't flame me for this please but just look at the size of the list you have all made so far with all those great and all very different places on it. Why are we all coming or have come to Australia. I know a few people reading this will start bleating on about all the great things to see and do in Oz, but there really is no comparison. To all you people not here yet please make the effort to go see all the places mentioned first before you come here. You will regret it if you don't.

Did anyone mention the yorvik center in york?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:22 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't feed the trolls!! Let's try and have one thread that doesn't descend into my Dad being bigger than your Dad!
Sorry about that. Thats why I put please don't flame me. So I promise not to reply to any trolls.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kendodd
We’ve had a lovely piccies thread, so maybe we should have a “places to see and things to do” thread.

What an excellent idea...

Edinburgh Castle
Edinburgh Festival
Stirling Castle
Glasgow
Loch Lomond
Bamburgh Castle
St Abbs
London
Isle of Skye
Cornwall
Canal boat holidays
Lindisfarne
Yorkshire dales
Leeds
Lake District
Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:56 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Whitby,

Cockles and winkles direct from the harbour, eating them with a pin, dodgy hats (kiss me quick, squeeze me slow), Bram Stoker and Dracula, the Abbey (and the long walk up to it) That "house of horrors" type museum (am I showing my age here) The train that goes right into the centre of town.

Whitby? Many a happy weekend spent there. (I'm from Newcastle btw)
Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
Hey, I'm from Whitby!!! We'll be going back for a month next summer and I can't wait!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bleinheim Palace, just outside of Oxford...and while at it, Oxford...

Chipping Norton is a fun quaint village just out there too, and a load of lovely pubs on the way.

Windsor Park, and the RAF memorial for all those pilots without a known grave in Egham...over looks the magna carta jobby...well you might as well if your going to Windsor Castle.

Victoria and Albert museum in London, it's great..as is the Hayworth gallery just out behind Waterloo station...gotta go the Eye.

Go punting or up a river in a barge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.