Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Things of interest to see and do in England!

Things of interest to see and do in England!

Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:10 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things of interest to see and do in England!

Thanks everyone for all these wonderful ideas - some I had not even heard of.... I've pasted everything into my own little word document, ready for the future. There's enough to do and see to last a lifetime!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:35 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kendodd
Thanks everyone for all these wonderful ideas - some I had not even heard of.... I've pasted everything into my own little word document, ready for the future. There's enough to do and see to last a lifetime!
I was thinking of doing the same! Could you post it up on here to save me the effort? Ta!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Things of interest to see and do in England!

Oh....another lovely part of the UK is of course the Cotswolds....it's so pretty around Bourton-on-the-Water (although very touristy in the Summer) and the picture postcards villages of Upper and Lower Slaughter.

About five or six years ago we rented the grist mill on the beautiful Owlpen Valley estate near Stroud and had friends and relatives coming over to stay with us there...you can just go and have meals at the restaurant too (fantastic food) or just go walking in the grounds....the local countryside is just gorgeous, we did a lot of walking and the common is nearby with cows grazing and just strolling along the middle of the country lane:

http://www.owlpen.com
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:05 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oh....another lovely part of the UK is of course the Cotswolds....it's so pretty around Bourton-on-the-Water (although very touristy in the Summer) and the picture postcards villages of Upper and Lower Slaughter.

About five or six years ago we rented the grist mill on the beautiful Owlpen Valley estate near Stroud and had friends and relatives coming over to stay with us there...you can just go and have meals at the restaurant too (fantastic food) or just go walking in the grounds....the local countryside is just gorgeous, we did a lot of walking and the common is nearby with cows grazing and just strolling along the middle of the country lane:

We have stayed in that area too, on Bourton-on-the-Hill, in a cottage called "Lower Barn"....lovely area. A good place to find a lovely cottage is www.ruralretreats.co.uk they are pricey, but well worth paying the extra as the cottages are tip top...
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:04 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

OMG a little peice of home......I come from the next town to Owlpen manor, born and bred there for 18 years until I left to join the army and embark on my travels. All my family still live there and I go back as often as I can.

Used to spend loads of my time wandering the fields around Uley, (the village surrounding the manor), when I was a kid and plenty as an adult walking my dog. You've made me really homesick.....what am I doing abroad when I used to have all that beauty on my doorstep?

Thanks for sharing and reminding me that "There's no place like home"

Sue

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theduke
SCOTLAND! Never mind with England Scotland is much nicer, but also much colder wetter and has a it's fair share of NEDS(chavs).
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you know how this term (ned) originated?

I asked several people in Scotland who use the term, and none of them seemed to know.

Also, I'd add Cadbury World to the list. The story of the Cadbury factory in Bournville (the "factory in a garden", as the Cadbury brothers christened it) is very interesting, and for me, brings back memories. I learned to swim in the Cadbury factory swimming pool (the "women's pool" - they built separate pools for men and women, as they were Quakers).

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 18th 2005 at 1:01 am.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you know how this term (ned) originated?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_%28Scottish%29

Kind of goes into it...
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kendodd
We’ve had a lovely piccies thread, so maybe we should have a “places to see and things to do” thread.

Here is a current “wish list” of things I’d like to do and places I’d like to visit, some I’ve done and want to do again, and some I haven’t…….

Anyone else got any ideas to add, because I’m sure I’ve missed lots out?

Windsor Castle (incl. doll’s house used by Queen Mary)
Hampton Court Palace – home of Henry VIII
Stonehenge
Chatsworth House
Lacock Abbey (wasn’t Harry Potter filmed here?)
Avoncroft Museum of Historic Buildings (in Bromsgrove – didn’t even know this existed)
Warwick Castle
Lumley Castle in Durham
Alnwick Castle in Northumberland
Tower of London
London Dungeons
London Eye
Kew Gardens
Althorp in Northants (love her or loathe her – I would love to see the Diana Collection)
Eden Project
Stratford-upon-Avon
Alton Towers
Legoland
Cheddar Gorge

And areas to go for a long weekend or holiday:
Lake District
Mendip Hills
Isle of Wight
Cornwall and Devon (Salcombe)
Centerparcs in Sherwood Forest, Longleat or Elveden
Scotland, Loch Ness, Trossachs, Ben Nevis
Ireland
Cycling in Norfolk

(Anyone know the name of the medieval village in Suffolk? Westhoe or something?)
The White Horse is in Westbury, Wiltshire
Cornwall - the whole of it! Padstow, Fowey, Polperro - historic fishing villages
Alnwick Castle (Harry Potter castle!)
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:17 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Humber estuary and Spurn Point nature reserve.
Yorkshire Wolds and walking the Wolds Way.
North York Moors
Rosemont Abbey
Dalby Forest and Pickering

http://www.touristnetuk.com/ne/forest-enterprise/

I absolutely love it up there. Fantastic walks, marvelous countryside and terrific little country pubs that serve real ale and homemade grub....bloody marvelous!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:34 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
OMG a little peice of home......I come from the next town to Owlpen manor, born and bred there for 18 years until I left to join the army and embark on my travels. All my family still live there and I go back as often as I can.

Used to spend loads of my time wandering the fields around Uley, (the village surrounding the manor), when I was a kid and plenty as an adult walking my dog. You've made me really homesick.....what am I doing abroad when I used to have all that beauty on my doorstep?

Thanks for sharing and reminding me that "There's no place like home"

Sue
Are you in Australia Sue??
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thanks. Interesting, one of my theories was that it was somehow derived from the term "non-educable", which is sometimes used in education settings.

I thought of another place (related to food again, wonder why?). The cafe on the top floor of the Glasgow Modern Art Museum. Great view of the Glasgow rooftops. If you look in one particular direction, you'd almost think you were in Paris.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Are you in Australia Sue??
No, USA
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by seacreature
Hell, there are so many!!

Eden Project,
Tintagel,
Bath,
Bodiam Castle,
Leeds Castle,
Oxford,
Cambridge,
Kew Gardens,
Highgate cemetry,
Brighton Pavilion,
Warwick Castle,
Conwy Castle,
Beaumaris Castle,
Brecon Beacons,
Dartmoor,
Snowdonia,
Exmoor,
Cotswolds,
Alnwick Castle,
Isle of Skye,
Orkney Islands,
Shetland Islands,
Norfolk Broads,
Settle-Carlisle Railway etc.

Britain is so beautiful, it would take a lifetime to see everything.
Since when were the Shetland islands,Orkney Islands,and the Isle of Skye "Things of Interest to see in England"?

Do they not teach Geography in English schools?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

wmh76 will become famous soon enough

Come and visit St Albans Abbey, absolutely gorgeous!!

I have lived in St Albans for 18 months now and love it, cobbly streets, old cottages and churches and so many plaques around for people i've never even heard of!! Pubs are pretty good too and there are loads of them!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:37 am
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mary1
Since when were the Shetland islands,Orkney Islands,and the Isle of Skye "Things of Interest to see in England"?

Do they not teach Geography in English schools?
Stop splitting hairs
They maybe places to visit within the UK, not just England but at least they are within driving distance unlike here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.