Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

There's more to life that sunshine and the beach....!!

There's more to life that sunshine and the beach....!!

Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:19 am
Banned

chucklemeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default There's more to life that sunshine and the beach....!!

Ok, firstly I’m NOT a whinging POM just a realist so here goes….

As I have said so much to Aussie’s over the last few months. “There is more to life than sunshine and the beach” - who agrees?!!

My Aussie partner and I are moving back home to London in Jan 2009, after 5 and a half years here (we planned to take only a year or two out from London but got a good job and stayed to earn some good money you see).

She lived in London for 4 years which is where we met however has never felt ‘Aussie’ as here parents are German and spent a fair few long holidays as a kid in Germany and other parts of Europe; not to mention that “The most tolerant society on Earth” (I’m referring to Aussies here by the way - Isn’t this what the press always say!!) branding her ‘Hitler’s Grand-daughter” as well as various other racist remarks over the years; even her older mother stills gets remarks thrown her way after over 50 years of being here as a law-abiding taxpayer.

ANYWAY - Let me get to the point; as beautiful as Australia is (and I’ll always have a soft-spot for it; I'm an Aussie Citizen now afterall!) here is what we both bloody HATE WITH A PASSION!! Shame, cos the country itself is wonderful!!

• How when you tell an Aussie that you’re moving to London, they look at you as if you just told them that your going self-catering in Baghdad. “Why would you want to leave There, it’s so cold and miserable in London” - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• That Sydney 'PUT ON' accent and arrogant Sydney tossers (go to a bar in “Pado” one night and they all look exactly the same; boys and girls!!)

• Yet another boring ‘Barbie’ - just in a different garden or different balcony

• Crappy supermarkets / shops and choice etc

• Serious lack of choice anywhere

• Living like its Groundhog Day EVERYDAY (and I don’t mean the movie)

• The fact that Aussie’s think Australia is so great cos they have beaches and the weather is nice (well I say; seen one beach, seen em’ all and I hate the heat and humidity - how can that be nice I ask you!!)

• How Sydneysiders would never go any further West than Annandale even though they could get great food etc. in places like Cabramatta and perhaps experience something new - They would sooner pay $40 for a bowl of noodles cos its in Surry Hills.

• Car & Property Stamp Duty

• The Gold Coast (aka Blackpool with Sun)

• Its SO bloody boring once you have seem a beach or two and a some bush - Its all the same, simple!

• Shitty restaurants (All the good chefs leave for the UK, France or Germany!!)

• Racism - The worst I have ever seen - Just give up on ‘Australia Day’ people - It just makes me cringe !!

• The thugs that play and watch AFL and NRL (damn; I hate NRL soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much)

• Aussie’s slagging off the UK and expecting you to agree, just cos it rains and can get cold and grey/cloudy - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

• The Footy Show (say no more……………)

• Scumbags at Westfields

• Rudd - Never heard a man who is sooooooooooooooo P.C. (AKA - ‘Mr Teflon’ !!)

• Dole Bludgers and how easy it is to be one

• Sky News (AKA - The ‘One-Sided Point of View Australian News Channel’)

• How the girls who read the news on Sky News Business Channel obviously HAVE NO CLUE as to what they’re actually talking about!!

• ATM and other Bank Fess and crappy web access for twice the price of the EU/US (Just get a Citibank account and stop moaning about CommBank only paying 0.01% interest; simple!)

• Amazingly BAD TV and newspapers

• How the Press makes out that Australia is the most wonderful place on Earth and that Sydney is the best city in the world - I suppose it is if you’ve never been anywhere, ever........

• Flying at least 8hrs to go anyway remotely worth seeing and paying a least $4,000 for the privilege

• “Why don’t you go to Bali?” - Well, cos I have 20 beaches with 1hrs drive of me and I’d get bored after the 30 mins on the beach “having a coldie’ with ‘me’ mates!!

• Using ‘me’ instead of ‘my’.

• Saying ‘yous’ instead of ‘you’ - you know; “can I help yous” - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Channel TEN - Say no more.........

• Dumb Aussie kids with a slight American accent cos of all the crap US shows they have on tele (Find it so funny that the have ‘the simpsons’ and ‘two and half men’ on during primetime!!!!)

• Ute’s (They are just cars with the back seats and roof taken out) Especially the bright green & orange ones, arghhhhhhhhhh!

• How the police will have you for ANYHTING, you know - $450 for a right hand turn even though you have to drive 5km before you can legally turn right. They must have real criminals to suss out, no? Then again, nothing happens here so guess not.

• Holden & Ford - When will Aussies realise that they’re both American companies!!

• Aussie TOP GEAR - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• “POM’s drink warm beer, give me a ‘coldie’ any day” - WHATEVER!! Give me a pint of London Pride or any other ale / Euro beer, anyday........

• Horrible Aussie pubs even though they might look lovely from the façade - SUCH a let down (Horse/Dog Racing in a pub, noooooooo!)

• Expensive spirits and overpriced cars

• How ya going - what the fu$k; what does that mean

• No worries - arghhhhhhhhhhh!!

• Awful driving especially when Aussie's are on small single lane roads - they simply can't cope plus NEVER thank you for letting them through!

• FINALLY - I HAVE NO LEARNT THAT THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN NICE BEACHES AND SUNSHINE - REALLY……………

I could go on and on and on!!

This should get you talking!!!!
Cheers……
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: There's more to life that sunshine and the beach....!!

You really made me laugh , I am at work very boring nothing happening here and I couldnt stop laughing so much of your post I relate too it cheered me up so I can go home now and enjoy a nice cuppa
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chucklemeister

As I have said so much to Aussie’s over the last few months. “There is more to life than sunshine and the beach” - who agrees?!!

My Aussie partner and I are moving back home to London in Jan 2009, after 5 and a half years here (we planned to take only a year or two out from London but got a good job and stayed to earn some good money you see).

She lived in London for 4 years which is where we met however has never felt ‘Aussie’ as here parents are German and spent a fair few long holidays as a kid in Germany and other parts of Europe; not to mention that “The most tolerant society on Earth” (I’m referring to Aussies here by the way - Isn’t this what the press always say!!) branding her ‘Hitler’s Grand-daughter” as well as various other racist remarks over the years; even her older mother stills gets remarks thrown her way after over 50 years of being here as a law-abiding taxpayer.

ANYWAY - Let me get to the point; as beautiful as Australia is (and I’ll always have a soft-spot for it; I'm an Aussie Citizen now afterall!) here is what we both bloody HATE WITH A PASSION!! Shame, cos the country itself is wonderful!!

• How when you tell an Aussie that you’re moving to London, they look at you as if you just told them that your going self-catering in Baghdad. “Why would you want to leave There, it’s so cold and miserable in London” - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• That Sydney 'PUT ON' accent and arrogant Sydney tossers (go to a bar in “Pado” one night and they all look exactly the same; boys and girls!!)

• The fact that Aussie’s think Australia is so great cos they have beaches and the weather is nice (well I say; seen one beach, seen em’ all and I hate the heat and humidity - how can that be nice I ask you!!)

• How Sydneysiders would never go any further West than Annandale even though they could get great food etc. in places like Cabramatta and perhaps experience something new - They would sooner pay $40 for a bowl of noodles cos its in Surry Hills.

• Its SO bloody boring once you have seem a beach or two and a some bush - Its all the same, simple!

• Racism - The worst I have ever seen - Just give up on ‘Australia Day’ people - It just makes me cringe !!

• The thugs that play and watch AFL and NRL (damn; I hate NRL soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much)

• Aussie’s slagging off the UK and expecting you to agree, just cos it rains and can get cold and grey/cloudy - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

• Scumbags at Westfields

• How the girls who read the news on Sky News Business Channel obviously HAVE NO CLUE as to what they’re actually talking about!!

• ATM and other Bank Fess and crappy web access for twice the price of the EU/US (Just get a Citibank account and stop moaning about CommBank only paying 0.01% interest; simple!)

• How the Press makes out that Australia is the most wonderful place on Earth and that Sydney is the best city in the world - I suppose it is if you’ve never been anywhere, ever........

• Flying at least 8hrs to go anyway remotely worth seeing and paying a least $4,000 for the privilege

• “Why don’t you go to Bali?” - Well, cos I have 20 beaches with 1hrs drive of me and I’d get bored after the 30 mins on the beach “having a coldie’ with ‘me’ mates!!

• Saying ‘yous’ instead of ‘you’ - you know; “can I help yous” - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Dumb Aussie kids with a slight American accent cos of all the crap US shows they have on tele (Find it so funny that the have ‘the simpsons’ and ‘two and half men’ on during primetime!!!!)

• Ute’s (They are just cars with the back seats and roof taken out) Especially the bright green & orange ones, arghhhhhhhhhh!

• How the police will have you for ANYHTING, you know - $450 for a right hand turn even though you have to drive 5km before you can legally turn right. They must have real criminals to suss out, no? Then again, nothing happens here so guess not.

• Holden & Ford - When will Aussies realise that they’re both American companies!!

• “POM’s drink warm beer, give me a ‘coldie’ any day” - WHATEVER!! Give me a pint of London Pride or any other ale / Euro beer, anyday........

• Horrible Aussie pubs even though they might look lovely from the façade - SUCH a let down (Horse/Dog Racing in a pub, noooooooo!)

• Awful driving especially when Aussie's are on small single lane roads - they simply can't cope plus NEVER thank you for letting them through!

• FINALLY - I HAVE NO LEARNT THAT THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN NICE BEACHES AND SUNSHINE - REALLY……………

Cheers……
Phew, Chucklemeister you really did need to get all that off your chest, didn't you?? Hope you're feeling a bit better now.... Have to say, I agree with practically all of the above.
In answer to your statement - 'There's more to life than sunshine and beaches" - the answer is a resounding "Yes!!"
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! - and you've managed to stay for 5 and a half years?!?!?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:02 am
Banned

my aussie work colleague just said "good call" - very funny indeed!!

guess life was/is so easy and got stuck in a BIG RUT and now wanna get out of it.....
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:08 am
Banned

BTW - Read your post saying "'Have I just missed the 4 minute warning?" - VERY FUNNY! Feel like that when I'm ever in Perth CBD after 5pm (AKA - Little Britain)!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

In other words, you hate EVERYTHING about Australia! Sure sounds like it anyway because to be honest most of the things you listed are actually the things I happen to LIKE about Australia.

That's not to say I don't want to move back home because I do, but I do also appreciate the good things here, which are most of the things in your list!!!

I'm not having a go at you, it's ok to have different likes and dislikes but I just find it amazing that you dislike so many of the things I find GOOD here!

I agree about the crappy supermarkets and lack of choice though.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the post, I had a really good laugh.

Some of those things bug me too, some I hadn't actually noticed (but I probably will now!)
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by backagen
In other words, you hate EVERYTHING about Australia! Sure sounds like it anyway because to be honest most of the things you listed are actually the things I happen to LIKE about Australia.

That's not to say I don't want to move back home because I do, but I do also appreciate the good things here, which are most of the things in your list!!!

I'm not having a go at you, it's ok to have different likes and dislikes but I just find it amazing that you dislike so many of the things I find GOOD here!

I agree about the crappy supermarkets and lack of choice though.
Are you trying to say you like Aussie Top gear?? surely not, it's pure pants, and the drivers not acknowledging you is down right rude......Come on think about it Backagen!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been reading my mind or what????
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

sweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by chucklemeister

• Scumbags at Westfields

Cheers……
its like you read my mind.......Especially the Australia day bit

Excellent
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Must say I'm not Australia's biggest fan, for many reasons (some trivial, some not so!) and I miss England every day. But I have just spent the day with my little girl and some friends down at Glenelg beach in Adelaide and I must say it does make me feel better!

It's certainly not everything, but sometimes it does help
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maka paka
Are you trying to say you like Aussie Top gear?? surely not, it's pure pants, and the drivers not acknowledging you is down right rude......Come on think about it Backagen!!
I've never seen it and have no interest in doing so!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
Must say I'm not Australia's biggest fan, for many reasons (some trivial, some not so!) and I miss England every day. But I have just spent the day with my little girl and some friends down at Glenelg beach in Adelaide and I must say it does make me feel better!

It's certainly not everything, but sometimes it does help
Let's be honest. Spending time in a lovely clean beach with beautiful surrounding landscaping on a warm sunny day with clear blue skies is an experience most people find very pleasant indeed.

Of course you can do that in UK too, it's just that there's not as many places with really nice beaches and not as many warm sunny days LOL!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do have big panda eyes and a bright red nose to show for it now though