Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British? In Australia? Not entirely sure you wanna stay? Post here!!!!

British? In Australia? Not entirely sure you wanna stay? Post here!!!!

Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British? In Australia? Not entirely sure you wanna stay? Post here!!!!

If you are British and you are currently in Australia specifically and not sure you wanna stay, please post your thoughts and feelings together with things you especially miss about England, Scotland etc. You could also list things that you especially dislike about Australia if you want.

Let's keep this one ULTRA friendly; no mocking of people's ideas and feelings, please. Show people respect and understand their right to miss their home country.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:05 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British? In Australia? Not entirely sure you wanna stay? Post here!!!!

teehee sorry couldnt resist.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: British? In Australia? Not entirely sure you wanna stay? Post here!!!!

Where do I start,
Were out of here on 13 Nov and it can't come quick enough,had enough of the terrible TV,job,wages,high interest rates,under par and overpriced supermarkets,horrendous curries,abysmal dangerous driving,knuckledragging mentality of woman cook and man talk about fishing with beer,mullets,no shoes,Mcdonalds and KFC on every street corner,soullessness of the place,asbestos everywhere........You may have gathered I don't particularly like this place(Brisbane),I'd have the UK any day.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Not entirely sure you wanna stay?
Based on that, I don't qualify for this thread
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Based on that, I don't qualify for this thread
LOL you mean you are entirely sure you dont want to be here!!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I don't actually hate it in Aus but I do really enjoy reading rants about it, and under the influence of certain other MBTTUK'ers I have been known to jump in.

I'm going home to Scotland in 129 days.

Mostly miss family and friends but miss belonging as well.

Here's a scenic image of the drive between Canberra and Adelaide, not sure exactly where but it doesn't matter it all looks exactly the same for the better part of 13 hours...enjoy
Attached Thumbnails British? In Australia?  Not entirely sure you wanna stay?  Post here!!!!-bool_img.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Some days I am very happy here and think about staying for a long time but other days I yearn for home. I have been here for 10 months so feel I should have really made up my mind by now. In hindsight, if I could turn the clocks back 18 months I would not have chosen to come to Australia but stay in England. It really isn't worth the grief of leaving family and friends and the guilt put upon you by your children when they are unhappy is unbearable. Our family is split. Some of us want to stay and some want to go home.

I read a lot of threads from people saying "try it, you can always go back". Unfortunately it is not as easy as that. Its a big risk giving up your job here to go back to England with all the uncertainty with the economy. It also costs a fortune. I can see why a lot of families split up under the pressure.

We are staying here for the foreseeable future but I am forever worrying when the right time will be to go back. As the children get older it becomes more difficult with schooling etc but we will definitely go back at some point.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:18 am
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maka paka
Where do I start,
Were out of here on 13 Nov and it can't come quick enough,had enough of the terrible TV,job,wages,high interest rates,under par and overpriced supermarkets,horrendous curries,abysmal dangerous driving,knuckledragging mentality of woman cook and man talk about fishing with beer,mullets,no shoes,Mcdonalds and KFC on every street corner,soullessness of the place,asbestos everywhere........You may have gathered I don't particularly like this place(Brisbane),I'd have the UK any day.

That's a lot of things you don't like maka paka! Essentially though, hard to disagree with anything you're saying there. 'Asbestos everywhere' - how do you mean?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by camponotus
That's a lot of things you don't like maka paka! Essentially though, hard to disagree with anything you're saying there. 'Asbestos everywhere' - how do you mean?
I live in Brisbane,and there is a lot of houses actually built with asbestos sheets,both inside and outside.They don't built them now obviously but there are thousands of them here.

The conduits that Energex(My employer) laid years ago and are still in the ground ,are made of asbestos.

They get contractors in to remove them when required and I can honestly say they are very rough about it leaving asbestos dust everywhere.
If I complain then I'm a whinging "pom",although I'm a Scot (They don't know the difference never being outside their beloved country).

I just think the whole place is under par.

Sorry if I sound like a complete moaner,but that's what these forums are for I supposse.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maka paka
I live in Brisbane,and there is a lot of houses actually built with asbestos sheets,both inside and outside.They don't built them now obviously but there are thousands of them here.

The conduits that Energex(My employer) laid years ago and are still in the ground ,are made of asbestos.

They get contractors in to remove them when required and I can honestly say they are very rough about it leaving asbestos dust everywhere.
If I complain then I'm a whinging "pom",although I'm a Scot (They don't know the difference never being outside their beloved country).

I just think the whole place is under par.

Sorry if I sound like a complete moaner,but that's what these forums are for I supposse.
You're not a moaner you're just telling it how it is. Oz is very, very overrated and has deteriorated in my opinion over the last 5-6 years. There's also a very strong undercurrent of 'anti-pom' feeling, this is more prevalent now than ever before. It's also a bit of a worry the amount of thick/ignorant people you meet - I blame the press and their education system for deliberately keeping people in isolation, this way they believe and perpetrate the mantra about Australia being the best country in the world, even though many have never been out of their home state.