Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Looking for jobs in UK at close to 50 years young ???

Looking for jobs in UK at close to 50 years young ???

Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:23 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all
Default Looking for jobs in UK at close to 50 years young ???

Part of the decision that we will make in the near future is based on…

I am 47 and we have been in NZ 3 & half years, in a couple of years we can get NZ citizenship which means we could move to Oz ( if we wanted). We are very clear that we are both not settled here and at our age want to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Part of our questions / decision making process is if we did stay on here for a year or two and decided to go back to the UK then I am creeping closer to 50 , so the question is ….

How are folk received in the UK job market in our age bracket ?

My career is sales & marketing management .

Be interested to hear if anyone can offer input on that.

Thanks heaps
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for jobs in UK at close to 50 years young ???

People complaining about employers not being interested is quite common. Occasionally some employer somewhere shows a bit of wisdom and recognises experience and responsibility (perhaps even leadership) as a possible advantage.

It's rare though.

However, you'll find job centre staff will bend over backwards to help under New Deal 50+ or whatever name it might have now and they'll have contacts with employers more likely to give chances.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Looking for jobs in UK at close to 50 years young ???

Originally Posted by BristolUK
People complaining about employers not being interested is quite common. Occasionally some employer somewhere shows a bit of wisdom and recognises experience and responsibility (perhaps even leadership) as a possible advantage.

It's rare though.

However, you'll find job centre staff will bend over backwards to help under New Deal 50+ or whatever name it might have now and they'll have contacts with employers more likely to give chances.
I am 46. Returned a week ago, with no job or a roof over my head. I will update my thread (search ...1966) shortly.

I found a job (albeit I applied about 2 weeks ago), finished my 2nd. interview on Wednesday and pending references, I was hired. References came in yesterday and today and job confirmed. GM for a restaurant. Not what I wanted, as I am a hotel man, but I am not complaining and am delighted.

Go on gumtree.com and post a job wanted ad. It worked for me. I also posted on jobsite.co.uk and jobserve.com (don't click USA and Asia).

Good luck.